Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a chance to get out to play today.... what fun it was !!! Went to the local gun club to shoot a round of their steel chickens and then followed it up with a few shots out of my half scale Napoleon. Didn't plan on doing anything real serious today, just an old cardboard box placed on the 100 yard berm to give me something to aim at. After the second shot though the box was down near the bottom of the berm someplace and I could no longer see it. I was more interested in shooting a little video anyway so it didn't matter much.

This was 700gr GOEX "Cannon" behind a 1.7" ball cast from wheelweight and glued to a wood sabot. They all seemed to hit pretty much the same place on the 100 yard berm so that was encouraging. Next time will set up some sort of standing cardboard target so that I can actually see where the ball struck (if it did). Had 2 different sabots... 3/4" and 1 1/2" thick. Didn't really notice much difference between the two so next time will get a bit more serious and see which groups better.

·
Premium Member
9,997 Posts
Evil said:
This was 700gr GOEX "Cannon" behind a 1.7" ball cast from wheelweight and glued to a wood sabot. Had 2 different sabots... 3/4" and 1 1/2" thick. Didn't really notice much difference between the two so next time will get a bit more serious and see which groups better.
Wow!!!!!!!!! That's good shooting. Did you dish out your sabots before you glued the ball?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, a divot made with a 1 1/4" Forstner bit and the ball glued in place with silicone sealer.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup, using a mid-50's Craftsman tabletop drill press. Ended up making a U shaped wood channel that I C-clamp to the drill press table as a positioning fixture. Once it is clamped in place I just slip the sabot in it and cut the recess. Haven't tried a router bit yet though. Makes sense to have a round bottom hole rather than a squared off one. Will have to search around a bit and see if I can find one of those bits. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.