Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a S&W 22A earlier this year and put a red dot on it and been haveing a ball hunting with it.Just wondering if y'all got something new or are useing an old stand by for bushytails this year.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
so far this year I've just used the .22 Pellet rifle (one of my standby's), got the .32 flintlock ready to roll when ever the mood hits, and getting the Browning BL22 ready for action this weekend (also for when the mood hits) ;D

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've always wanted to give a 32 or 36 caliber muzzle loader a try for squirrels but never got around to it,maybe next year.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
the small muzzleloader is tons of fun and as cheap (or cheaper at todays prices) than a .22 LR. Only draw back is cleaning.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I've been using the 10/22 with a green mountain sporter barrel. I have a Henry on order with Santa Clause. I'll be using that come January.

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
I've been hunting with an EAA bounty hunter 22/22mag and a smith 22A for years and maybe if I live long enough I'll actually hit one.
I do carry my cricket but haven't fired it in anger for a while.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
My 22A has a bunch of rounds through it and I like it a lot but for little critters up to the size of stray dogs, my Chipmunk Hunter in 22WMR has jumped to the forefront. I've had this thing for a while now and still haven't put glass on it. I've been fascinated with the fire sights and my ability to shoot it accurately off hand. The starlings that crap on everything I own have discovered how tough payback can be.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I switched from handgun back to rifle when I bought my first CZ 452 Lux with peeps. First hunt this fall I shot three offhand at about 40 yards in 5 minutes. My whole hunt lasted 20 minutes lol.

·
Premium Member
4,324 Posts
Was using my good ole Model 60 and H&R 903 target revolver for back-up, but just beginning to try a centerfire .22 in the form of a downloaded .223 Rem. Shooting some 46gr. Winchester Jacketed bullets at about 1200 mimicing a .22 lr. I attached the heavy barrel to my .45-70 BC frame and got perfect lockup, so hopefully will have 50 to test with in the woods later today. ;)

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
tacklebury,
nice lookin rifle, is that originally a BC or did you put BC stocks on a different rifle??

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I've been using my NEF 17MKII. I have been hunting a deep creek bottom and can see pretty far to the other side. My longest head shot was 100 yards. I use a dog squeeky toy whistle between my teeth to get them to stop and with a 6x18 scope, I can easily make head shots every time.

·
Premium Member
4,324 Posts
keith44 said:
tacklebury,
nice lookin rifle, is that originally a BC or did you put BC stocks on a different rifle??
I bought the .223 barrel here on the Classifieds and it snapped on perfectly to my .45-70 BC frame and the forearm fits the same also. ;) WIN WIN!! Super accurate so far, although I want to do one more ladder. I got the best accuracy from 5 gr. Unique with the Winchester 46 gr. HP. I want to do a ladder from 4.1 to 5 gr now though, because I'm trying to keep velocities in the .22 LR range. ;)

Best low power group (the bottom was a called flier and I'm not so sure #5 wasn't also):

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tacklebury,I was using Trailboss and a 45 gr.hornet bullet last year to duplicate 22LR/22mag velocity in my 223 last year worked like a charm and way less destuctive than my 17hmr.

·
Premium Member
4,324 Posts
Nice. 8)

·
Registered
977 Posts
So far this year...I've been using my .32 calibre Blue Ridge Rifle. Love that Blackpowder. 8)

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
ya know what? I haven't seen a bad choice yet. I admit there are some Ilike more than others, but not a bad choice noted here

·
Registered
977 Posts
Well I'm still shooting Blackpowder....just leaning more to Smoothbores of late. Once you get infected with charcoal burner, really no reason to look for a cure. 8)

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
This.

My 17 mach II converted from a 10/22

wouldn't consider anything else anymore.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts