Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a soul? And what constitutes a soul? Is it conscienceness? A spark contained within us that we are not even really aware exists? Or simply self awareness? Are you convinced we all have a soul? Is there actually only one large collective soul in which we all share? Would like to hear your opinions and thoughts.

·
Registered
19,177 Posts
I equate the soul with a conscience.
not everyone has a conscience, so maybe years of bad behavior erases your soul.
meaning, I don't know all the answers.

·
Registered
42,140 Posts
Every human being has a soul. Whether it belongs to God, or satan is up to us. I can't tell you what a soul looks or feels like, but theres no doubt in my mind that every human being on earth has one. I suppose I equate a soul to being like a spirit, honestly, I'd never thought about it. POWDERMAN. :eek: :eek:

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
The elect have a soul, and the non-elect have a place for a soul. A soul and a spirit aren't the same thing. A soul is eternal and a spirit isn't.

The non-elect will cease to exist, but the elect will not.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
in my OPINION based on what I have been taught:

The body is a vessel containing the soul. The soul is the essence of the person. This is conscience, personality, and everything that makes up the person, except for the body or anything related to the body

·
Registered
233 Posts
The Soul is that bit of the Holy Spirit that gives us the "devine spark" which we are all given at birth that makes us the image of our Creator. What we do or don't do with it is up to us, that is "free will." But with out a doubt we will be held accountable for our choices, that's where Heaven and **** come into play. But, HEY, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Part of my education included human cadaver dissection.

We had 6 cadavers to study. We dissected the limbs then the torso and then the organs. 3rd quarter of study we dissected the brain. I remember distinctly when I held the brain of our cadaver in my hands. Our professor opened the skull and made necessary cuts for the brain to be removed and then it was there. I held it in my hands.

Some of my first thoughts at that point, beyond the weirdness of it, concerned the essence of the person. We had slowly and methodically dismantled the material portion of these bodies. We then held the nerve center in our hands and dismantled that for study. It was a stark reality to me that the essence of the person was not there. All of the physical attributes, all of the parts and pieces, all of the structure and form was there but the person was not.

In a fully humanistic and materialistic sense, the person was there. However, I don't believe that the material is all. What I didn't witness was the emotion, the love, the interaction. That part was gone or dis-attached from the body.

I do believe that we all have a soul. I believe that this was what was missing in the cadaver. What was missing was more than intellect because intellect could only act in an concrete way if all was material. Those things that we look at in other people that show their character, nature, being, essence, I think that those things are a look at the soul. It seems to me that this physical body is just a dwelling place for the soul to dwell while placed in time and space.

lc

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRGl6Twebvc

A good 1930 gospel blues song from Blind Willie Johnson, born near Brenham, Texas.

Won't somebody tell me, answer if you can!
Want somebody to tell me, what is the soul of a man
I'm going to ask the question, answer if you can
If anybody here can tell me, what is the soul of a man?
I've traveled in different countries, I've traveled foreign lands
I've found nobody to tell me, what is the soul of a man
I saw a crowd stand talking, I came up right on time
Were hearing the doctor and the lawyer, say a man ain't nothing but his mind
I read the bible often, I tries to read it right
As far as I can understand, a man is more than his mind
When Christ stood in the temple, the people stood amazed
Was showing the doctors and the lawyers, how to raise a body from the grave.

This is from Wikipedia...
"Johnson remained poor until the end of his life, preaching and singing in the streets of several Texas cities including Beaumont, Texas. A city directory shows that in 1945, a Rev. W.J. Johnson, undoubtedly Blind Willie, operated the House of Prayer at 1440 Forrest Street, Beaumont, Texas.[sup][1][/sup] This is the same address listed on Johnson's death certificate. In 1945, his home burned to the ground. With nowhere else to go, Johnson lived in the burned ruins of his home, sleeping on a wet bed in the August/September Texas heat. He lived like this until he contracted malarial fever and died on September 18, 1945."

·
Registered
42,140 Posts
RIO. Thanks for that wonderful story, I'd never heard of him. I wonder why folks didn't reach out to him after the fire?? Sad. POWDERMAN. :( :(

·
Registered
10,172 Posts
"What is a soul? And what constitutes a soul? Is it conscienceness? A spark contained within us that we are not even really aware exists?"

God is a triune being; Father, Son, Holy Spirit. So is man; body, soul, spirit.

Our soul is the life force that maintains our otherwise chemical bits and pieces body as a living thing while our spirit is our conscious self. Both normally reside within our living body, making our body a 'tent' of flesh in which the real 'us' lives. We may have a spiritual 'out of body' experience and our body can live because the soul remains but when both spirit AND soul departs our body is left a sack of wet, sticky stuff. It's not surprizing we are unaware of spritual/soul things that make us what we are, we are not normally 'aware' of a lot of critical things going on inside us - digestion, etc.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
powderman said:
RIO. Thanks for that wonderful story, I'd never heard of him. I wonder why folks didn't reach out to him after the fire?? Sad. POWDERMAN. :( :(
Sad for sure. I can't say why folks didn't help him more.
Job's friends let him down too.
There's no guarantee the friends and family of today will be there for us tomorrow, no matter how good (or bad) we might be.
There's only one we can rely on, and His will be done, even if we don't always understand it.
They say Blind Willie wasn't born blind, but his stepmother in a fit of anger threw lye in his face and blinded him.
Even after that he professed Christ, and preached forgiveness.
Pretty heavy stuff.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
A soul is an objective fact, not a matter of opinion. A soul is observable. It is that which animate living things. While we cannot observe a soul directly we can observe the effects of a soul. It is how we distinguish between the living and the dead.

So all living things have a soul. Plants, animals, mushrooms, humans all have souls. What is often confused is when people use the term "soul" to mean only "immortal soul" which only humans have. Thus people will say that plants don't have a soul, but strictly speaking that is not true, they have a soul, just not an immortal one.

While it is easy to observe the effects of a soul, we can't easily distinguish immortal souls from mortal ones.

This is NOT just my opinion - this stuff comes from Ancient Greek philosophy and some of the greatest Christian philosophers agreed with it.

·
Registered
42,140 Posts
Black J J. HEH. Why in the world would God give a mushroom or a head of lettuce a soul ?? What would be the point?? POWDERMAN. :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Powderman,

Let me guess, you're thinking that I mean that God gave them immortal souls, right? That's not what I meant.

You can distinguish between living lettuce and dead lettuce right? The soul is simply whatever is in the living lettuce that makes it alive, whatever it is that animates it. All living things have souls.

NOT all living things have immortal souls - only human beings have immortal souls (and angels/demons). God did not give mushrooms immortal souls.

Does that make more sense?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Swampman said:
The non-elect will cease to exist, but the elect will not.
Greetings So then how does eternal damnation fit your explanation ? How about some verses to back this up. What are we to do with Matt. 25: 41 " Depart from Me ye cursed into everlasting fire " MT. 25: 46 " And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: "..
Mike in Peru

·
Registered
216 Posts
Greetings In my study I find several words that speak about an immaterial eternal part of the person. In the Bible we find soul, spirit, heart refering to the real person who inhabits this physical pachage we walk about in. This physical body will not leave this earth. At death it gets left behind. But the real person is headed somewhere... eternal separation from God or eternal presence with the Lord Jesus. That is what God is looking for. A transformed person from the intereior whose outside actions reflects what has already happened inside. (2 Cor. 5:17)
Mike in Peru

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
Philosophers of all stripes usually begin by dividing the material from the immaterial, body & soul. Some go on to separate the immaterial into soul & spirit, soul here meaning seat of the will, mind or intellect. This is useful in describing animals as they would have body & soul, but not an eternal spirit which is connected to the divine. But not necessary; I'm a dichotomist (body & soul) myself, but understand trichotomy having taught all views often.

I do not believe we all share a soul, or that our souls are pre-existent. They are created by God at conception, they are the divine spark and are eternal. Theologically, whether in heaven or in ****, they will exist, fitted with an eternal body suitable for eternity.

Like antennas though, our eternal immaterial selves are tuned to be attentive to something larger than itself, which is how many can seem to share commonality, which is the basis of the shared soul hypothesis. And also like antennas, we don't work so well when broken; to receive the signal requires restoration. The design was fine, capacity is there, functionality is impaired. Restoration brings attenuation, and we feel in harmony with our intended purpose. We feel connected and interconnected.

And as LC noted, it's not discoverable by autopsy. But it is observable nonetheless.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
TeamNelson said:
Philosophers of all stripes usually begin by dividing the material from the immaterial, body & soul. Some go on to separate the immaterial into soul & spirit, soul here meaning seat of the will, mind or intellect. This is useful in describing animals as they would have body & soul, but not an eternal spirit which is connected to the divine. But not necessary; I'm a dichotomist (body & soul) myself, but understand trichotomy having taught all views often.

I do not believe we all share a soul, or that our souls are pre-existent. They are created by God at conception, they are the divine spark and are eternal. Theologically, whether in heaven or in ****, they will exist, fitted with an eternal body suitable for eternity.

Like antennas though, our eternal immaterial selves are tuned to be attentive to something larger than itself, which is how many can seem to share commonality, which is the basis of the shared soul hypothesis. And also like antennas, we don't work so well when broken; to receive the signal requires restoration. The design was fine, capacity is there, functionality is impaired. Restoration brings attenuation, and we feel in harmony with our intended purpose. We feel connected and interconnected.

And as LC noted, it's not discoverable by autopsy. But it is observable nonetheless.
Wow TN. You're making me think of Bonhoeffer in "The Cost of Discipleship" where he talks about Christ the Mediator. All is broken and distorted in the fall (Di or Tricotomy). The only way that we can PROPERLY interact with God, Man, or the material world is through the Mediation of Christ who bridges the span between God and man and through whom we have Life/Regeneration.

Great explanation brother!
lc

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.