Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 232 Posts

·
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wondering about the best double action revolver and wanted to get feedback on what you thought.

What is the best double action revolver of all time?

Thanks
Doug

·
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that covers the 357. I am looking at the best Double action (any caliber) of all time. S&W 29-2 or Dan Wesson .375 Super Mag are two that come to mind.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
IMHO a very early S&W model 58, great trigger, very usefull and I let it get away :mad: Doug

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
dougk said:
that covers the 357. I am looking at the best Double action (any caliber) of all time. S&W 29-2 or Dan Wesson .375 Super Mag are two that come to mind.
True, BUT, the Old S&W pre M-27 357 magnum IS the finest revolver ever made, with the older M-27's comeing in at a close second.

Would you like me to bring you one or two, so you can see for yourself? lol

DM

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
Model 15 Smith & Wesson Combat Masterpiece

·
Registered
178 Posts
I can't see how one can improve on the Python. Although I like my model 19 a lot too, and wouldn't complain about owning a model 15 or a model 10.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Since simplicity and reliability are considered the revolvers strong points, the mod.10 has to be way up there- probably more of them out there than any other model. love my old blued .44 redhawk, though.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
While I love my tuned S&W's and Python, you need to look up the name Korth. For the folks that prefer a Rolls over a Bentley. You said best, not favorite.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
The Smith & Wesson Registered Magnum. That became the Model 27. The python is good , maybe second.

In my humble opinion. Merry Christmas

·
Registered
258 Posts
My initial vote would be the S&W model 19, but it that comes with conditions. I shot mine loose many years ago, as I did with a Model 66. For that reason I would have to say a Ruger GP100 gets my final vote. It's like comparing a sports car with a truck, each has it's own place in the garage. I like shooting my guns.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
My pick would be any Dan Wesson. Other than Freedom Arms,which is single action, have I found a more accurate revolver. gypsyman

·
Registered
50 Posts
There is no such thing as "best". Different products have different features that produce different benefits, which do not necessarily rank the same in importance to different users. That's why there are so many different products that seem mostly identical, but are very different in one aspect or another. I've always wanted a S&W Model 27, but have passed up several because the cylinders are too short for the heavy cast bullets I favor. 629s don't have the same longevity as a Super Redhawk, but the trigger in the SRH isn't as nice out of the box as the S&W. The list goes on forever. That said, my long term favorite is the Ruger Security Six. If only there was a factory scoped version...

·
23,845 Posts
Smith and Wesson Model 19 Combat Magnum 4 inch barrel, target hammer and trigger, recessed chambers. Wish I had'em all back.

·
Registered
724 Posts
This is a case were everyone is right and no one wrong since it is our opinions. That said, I vote the 625-9 45 Colt Mountain Gun. Easy to cary, conceal and the best cal ever. 8)

1 - 20 of 232 Posts