Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the biggest animal you would shoot with your 7mm? I'm talking Africa, USA, or Canada. The biggest I've shot with mine is a Boar. He was running full Boar ahead when I shot him.

·
Registered
283 Posts
With either my 7mag or my 7mm-08 i would confidently take any animal in N. America and all but the big 5 in Africa. Want justifacation? The .30-06 has done it many times and my big 7 is substantially more powerfull than that, and the 7mm08 is a balistic twin to the 7x57 which has been doing it for over 100 years, and by such known people as Jack Oconnor. Shot placement and bullet selection is the key, aside from that...the world is full of versitle game stoppers.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
In a pinch, I'd shoot anything with a 7. ****, in a pinch, I'd shoot anything with a .22. I've shot elk with a 7mag and would again without a thought. I'd shoot an elk with a 7-08 only if it was my only rifle and then under careful circumstances.
When Oconnor and Bell performed their feats, they didn't tell of the game left to wonder off wounded. People had a much more cavalier attitude toward game back then.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Any animal that didn't leave me any other choice.......period.....

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Sir, Jack O'connor would never take a shot he was not sure off. Why take a jab at a fine writer and a honorable man that has passed away? Much less will be thought of you for that remark.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Beeman, I love your posts but I gotta know the answer to this question. You said, "When O'Conner and Bell performed their feats, they didn't tell of the game left to wonder off wounded". I've heard that about a thousand times but to date nobody has told me what game it is. I wish someone would give me a few accurate accounting's of these accusations. This is no different that the finger pointing that goes on about the long range shooters and the people wounding all those animals with 30-30's and 243's.

Unfounded accusation's, nothing more

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
W.D. Bell shot thousands of elephants with a 7X57 mauser with military ball. Good thing those were the non magnum type elephants of yester year. I'd have no problem hunting any North American game with a 7mm as long as I knew the gun and the ammo.

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
I would hunt all of the largest non dangerous game in North America and Africa with my 7mm Remington Magnum, with heavy premium bullets.

Cheese

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
Don said:
Beeman, I love your posts but I gotta know the answer to this question. You said, "When O'Conner and Bell performed their feats, they didn't tell of the game left to wonder off wounded". I've heard that about a thousand times but to date nobody has told me what game it is. I wish someone would give me a few accurate accounting's of these accusations. This is no different that the finger pointing that goes on about the long range shooters and the people wounding all those animals with 30-30's and 243's.

Unfounded accusation's, nothing more
Or those rumors about people wounding animals because they shoot long range, for which there is even less proof.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
...When Oconnor and Bell performed their feats, they didn't tell of the game left to wonder off wounded. People had a much more cavalier attitude toward game back then.
What "feats" did O'Conor perform with the 7x57? I've read my copy of Jack O'Connor, The Legendary Life of America's Greatest Gunwriter by Robert Anderson cover to cover several times. This tome catalogs every big game animal O'Connor is known to have killed, and nowhere does it list an animal shot with his three 7x57s that was not what most of us would consider appropriate for cartridges in this class. In Mozambique his wife killed 17 head of game with 19 shots with one of his 7x57 - not a lot of wounded game wondering off there.

O'Connor owned many big bore rifles and used them for large game in Africa and Asia, including two .416 Rigbys, a .450-400 double, a .450 Watts, a .458, and a handful of .338s and .375s. Unlike what the uninformed believe, he had a lot of rifles that were not chambered in.270 WCF.

·
Registered
283 Posts
"Take it from me, any skilled riflemen can kill any animal in N. America with cartridges of the .30-06, .270, and 7x57 class"  Jack Oconnor

Until anyone can prove to me that they know more than the expert of experts...ill take Mr. Oconnors word for it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Lone Star...that is a great book! I had a copy for a while but lost it...my search for a new one starts today! They say Oconnor was a gun nut more than a hunter. He did most certainly have and use many other rifles than the .270

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Fatercat, YOU, sir, need to get your facts straight. I easily recall several of his mag articles where he related how he or his wife lobbed shots at animals on the other side of wherever and scratched the animal down after several attempts. Jack O'Connor was a man, not a God. And if telling the truth, diminishes me in your eyes, I will try to bear up. (imagine a very large smiley face here)

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I will stand by my original post about Messrs Bell and O'connor. I was an avid reader of the old hunting books and if I missed an article by Jack O'connor in Outdoor Life, I would be surprised. So my post was a consensus of my feelings from reading those books and articles.
I will admit, however, that I am writing this whilst sitting on a pillow because of all the vicious bites to my backside. (imagine a large frowny face)

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
I've only hunted North America and honestly the only animal I ever shot with a 7mm was a large caribou in northern Quebec. It was a 7mm rum and had no problem with a 300 yard plus shot. Caribou are fairly thin skinned animals though.

·
Registered
283 Posts
beemanbeme...cant say i agree with your assumption of Mr. Oconnors hunting ethics. Just letting it be known...not that you should care. Their are many many people on this board who are Jack Oconnor experts...this is a hunting and shooting board after all. Your assumptions are wildly against the norm so unless you have some inside track...i should think you are mistaken. Please do not take this as a flame, i just feel it necessary to stand up for a man who did so much for the things i love. Such mindless slander is uncalled for and certinly theory.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
billy_56081 said:
W.D. Bell shot thousands of elephants with a 7X57 mauser with military ball. Good thing those were the non magnum type elephants of yester year. I'd have no problem hunting any North American game with a 7mm as long as I knew the gun and the ammo.
Excuse me, but I thought Bell shot his elephant with a .275 Rigby, which is identical to the 7x57 case. However, I believe he used 175 gr solid round nose bullets rounds made by Rigby that were steel jacketed, not military ball ammo. At least that is the information I've read concerning Bell's hunting.

·
Registered
326 Posts
jro45 said:
What is the biggest animal you would shoot with your 7mm? I'm talking Africa, USA, or Canada. The biggest I've shot with mine is a Boar. He was running full Boar ahead when I shot him.
Do whales count? I'd shoot it with the .283Butler......I'd shoot anything with it. It's all in the placement, not the displacement!

Scott B

·
Registered
326 Posts
jro45 said:
Whales are not animals. They have a different classification. ::)
Animals are all animals, like bugs are all bugs, and insects are all inserts.......right?
Even if they are in a different classification...it'd be fun to try!

Scott B

1 - 20 of 30 Posts