Graybeard Outdoors banner

If you could only carry one call what would it be ?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Hi mine would be a Cody Slate call with 3 diff. strikers then i would sound like 3 diff. hen turkeys with 1 mouth call u sound like the same hen VM

·
Registered
4 Posts
My call does not fit into any of what you have listed. I will just stay with my hand carved original-no commercial bought stuff for this kid. It will produce three different hen calls. It is a "Raymond Chisim" and is a collectors item. Been using it for more than 30 years and it is deadly. I say thanks to our departed Chism everytime I bring one in.

The only problem that I have is all my partners and acquaitances want to rob me of the call.

·
Registered
13 Posts
MINE WOULD DEFINATELY BE THE WING BONE, IT CAN BE USED IN ANY TYPE OF WEATHER AND YOU CAN THROW YOUR SOUNDS JUST BY TURNING YOUR HEAD, AND GOBBLERS LOVE THEM , MOSTLY BECAUSE THEY NEVER HEAR THEM, LONEBRAVE

·
Registered
945 Posts
Knight/Hale vari-slate.Different settings control on bottom of slate to vary sound,pitch,and loudness of call. Rick

·
Registered
526 Posts
I carry a slate call (hs 360) and carry 4 different strikers in my vest. Each striker sounds very different and carry differently in the wind. I've found a gobbler might respond to the sounds from striker and not from another, depending on what type of hen he's looking for I guess, young and slender or big and burly.

later,
scruffy

·
Registered
164 Posts
for me.....hands down would be the box-n-paddle call
i build them myself and take great pains in fine-tuning them till i get what i (or should i say what the turkeys) want to hear out of them.

i useally carry two of them though......along with a slate, and a glasss friction call.......and oh heah two wingbone calls 1 made from a hen Right wing.....the other from a jake left wing.

TCB

·
Registered
60 Posts
Usually I will carry out at least 3 or 4 turkey calls because you never know what a gobbler may want to hear. The one I use the most though is Knight&Hale Ol' Yeller Slatek. You can produce sounds from soft to very loud.

Later

When in doubt empty the magazine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Alumistrut Black Magic. I have found that the aluminum calls allow me to vary the pitch of my call from soft and sweet to super-high pitched. Works in all weather, easy to learn and use, and usually I can find an interested tom. Now, having said all that, I also carry about a half dozen to 10 other calls with me. Box calls, mouth calls, push-pulls, crow, peacock, gobble tube, coyote howlers, and some I can't think of right now. I've had occasions where a gobbler wanted only a certain side of a certain box call, or a particular striker on a single slate. I would hate to only have one call on hand. My buddies laugh as I load up my vest, but usually by the end of the day, something in there has done the trick.

God bless,
encoreshooter

·
Registered
143 Posts
If I could only have one it would have to be a mouth call. I have become pretty good with it. I can do soft roosting sounds, A fly down cackle, put and pur, yelp and just about any other sound a turkey makes. I can change pitch and volume very easily and its all hands free. If I get a turkey in close I can still make calls while i've got him in my sights.

In my turkey vest I carry usually around 5 different mouth calls, 1 box call, two slates with with 3 different stikers, Hand gobbler, owl hooter, crow call, and a hawk call.

I believe in being prepared and sometimes it just takes a slight change in sound to get the turkey moving towards you.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I also build my own calls, so I guess my favorite would have to be one of mine :) This is a matched set made of flame maple.

·
1,880 Posts
Quaker Boy Mouth Calls...I just have to support the local workforce as QB is in the Western NY area. Plus they make some darn good calls. I like the green series mouth calls.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Jack,
Thanks for the kind words.

I built this pair for a couple of friends that are predator callmakers. If you look in the predator forum you'll see some of their fine work that they do.

I supply the wood for them and in return they send me calls, a nice exchange :)

I've been making box calls for some time now, but in limited numbers less than 12-15 a year. Mostly collector edition calls that I give out to people in exchange for my other addictions, ( call collecting)

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I would probably also carry a Primos mouth call. I prefer the new "Hook" series as I have a gag reflex.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't think i would have the space to list all the calls I carry turkey hunting, both spring and fall. I sure like the diaprhragm mouth callers and the raspier the better. I have a terrapin(turtle shell call) with slate that is really good, but very tempramental (spelling?) Also have alot of confidince in glass callers too. I carry at least 5 different friction callers, wingbones, 3 box callers, 2 tube callers, but they are difficult to master, but not as tough as a wingbone. If I was going to rely on one, it would be a glass call or a 2 reed diaghragm (easy to blow), especially after being winded from a big ridge!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a turkey vest that I have modified extensively, and almost got it where i want it. Don't forget your chalk for your friction callers, either. slik 1

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Dezertyote,
Those are BEAUTIFUL!

I carry a slate, a box, and one particular Knight and Hale Mouth call that I like. Hope I can get a new one this year. With my luck, they will discontinue it....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts