Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I've been contemplating purchasing one of the new Browning BLR with pistol grip in 308 Win or 7mm-08 Rem. I've seen the prices in the $699 or more and that has kept me from bringing one home right away but I do not loose hope. My questions are:

1. What kind of accuracy you get with this rifles?
2. What about trigger pull?
3. Are they take-down models? Does this change the point of impact (scoped) every time you take it down and back?

Thank you for any information on the subject.

Camba

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
1. What kind of accuracy you get with this rifles?

I can't speak to an alloy BLR-81, but my 1971 steel .308 would do 1- 1 1/2" @ 100yds

2. What about trigger pull?

Mine was fine, but I've seen that others have had issues with later guns.

3. Are they take-down models? Only if you buy a take-down model. ;)

Does this change the point of impact (scoped) every time you take it down and back?

Yes, if the scope's mounted on the receiver - No, if it's barrel-mounted.

·
Administrator
26,191 Posts
I have experience with only one owned by a fellow I used to hunt with. It is very old not of current make.

His would shoot two quite small groups. The problem was they were not hitting to the same spot. If he fired four shots he'd have to groups of an inch or less but they were at least 3" to 4" apart. If he shot six then he'd have two small groups about 3" to 4" apart. Nothing we could do would change that pattern it seemed to exhibit. It didn't matter what load was used either it just shot alternating shots to widely separate places on the target and did it no matter who was shooting it. One of the weirdest grouping guns I've ever run across.

·
Super Moderator
51,270 Posts
I bought my .308 M81 BLR new in 1983, it shoots 180gr Rem factory core-lokts and Win Supreme Failsafes to the same POI in 1" or less for 3 shots, never tried more than that, never needed more than one shot on any deer or elk I've ever shot, don't remember ever having to change the Leupold Vari-X 2-7x28 scope setting in all those years either, just waste a little ammo checking the zero every year!! :D Trigger is a little heavy, but got better with time, not bad enough to feel the need for spending money on it.

Tim

·
Premium Member
23,845 Posts
Well, I CAN speak to the BLR in 308. I bought one new, and mounted a Leopould 2 x 7 Vari-X II on it. It shot 2 1/2" groups until the action came apart inside. The dealer replaced it, with a new one, and after about 35 rounds the sear shot loose. I took it back, the dealer gave me my money back and quit handling Browning lever guns, describing the new ones as JUNK. I would have to agree. Browning needs to tell Japan to get their #@%$# together.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the info. I found a used Browning BLR in 7mm-08 Rem caliber (non-take down version but the newer kind) for $520 in very good condition. I think I will pass this one based on the experiences you've mentioned. They look pretty though.

Camba

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Camba, try to find a original BLR made in Belgium or a early 81series. Both have steel receivers. Take a small magnet with you to test the receiver. These are the good ones. Regards, Byron

·
Registered
932 Posts
I've had 5 of them with the steel reciever. They were all top notch and very accurate. I have two now, a .358 (my favorite bear rifle and a .308 for deer. Not too long ago I was shooting the .308 at 300 yd milk jugs and it was right on the money. But, most of my shots on game has been much closer. I know a lady guide in Manitoba that shoots a 7mm-08 and has taken all game with it another guide in Sask uses a .358 for everything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts