Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kinda accuracy do u think a person would get out of 1 of these Remington700 SPS in 308 with a 20" heavy barrel i always wanted a short barreled rifle but dont know ,this rifle is the Police version i wouldnt want to put out 500 for a rifle that wouldnt shoot well

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
I have shot a 3 shot 300 yard group with my 243 SPS Varmint that measures 7/8'' I think you would like it. Dale

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
No it is a 26'' barrel. I think the jury is still out on longer barrels shooting better than shorter barrels. The longer barrel gives the bullet more velocity but the shorter barrel is more rigid and stiff. Which acording to many make the shorter barrel more accurate. I really do not know who to believe when it come to this. Dale

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a Rem. Mohawk 600 in 243 18 1/2" bbl. its thick but not a bull and it will shoot an honest 1/2" at 100 yds. thats decent grouping!

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
It is a myth that short barrels are less accurate. Like Dale said, short barrels have less velocity, more muzzle blast, and recoil more (less weight). These are dependent on the cartridge being shot, powder being used, bullet weight and how short you make the barrel. On the plus side - A short barrel is generally more accurate (less barrel whip) and lighter/handier. I would think that a 308 SPS would be plenty accurate and a 20" barrel is a good compromise between a really short barrel and a more standard 24" barrel. ;)

BTW No matter what brand you are buying the police/tactical models are usually more accurate than standard stocked rifles, not always.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts