Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello members: There seems to be general consensus that Savages are very accurate rifles right out-of-the box. I would be interested in hearing why you believe this is so. Is it the pillar bedding of the action? The accutrigger? The quality of their barrels? A combination of all three? As a potential buyer, I am just curious - Thanks.

·
Registered
325 Posts
floating bolt head and barrel nut assembly yield near perfect cartridge/bore alignment and near perect headspace, all other things being equal.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I would think the biggest contributor to the savage's accuracy is their barrels. I know the accutrigger can be a great benefit but I have several pre accutrigger savages that all shoot great.

·
Registered
322 Posts
It's sure not the craftsmanship/wokmanship of their rifles. The last 110 my dad bought shoots great, but the clip can't keep the shells in....Savage couldn't fix it either.....now he "single shots" it.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Take what "fish280" & "oneshotonekill" had to say and I think that pretty much covers it. As stated that while the AccuTrigger is a great improvement it doesn't have anything to do with the Savage accuracy as they were getting the reputation for out of the box accuracy before the AccuTrigger was introduced. Lawdog
:D

·
Administrator
26,056 Posts
Assuming that they are is an assumption NOT backed up by those I've had experience with. So far I'm batting zero on finding or shooting one that was accurate.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I`ve owned a savage 110, .243 since 1961 and that puppy has aways
shot tight! Maybe Savage just does it right in their manufacting process.
All these years and it still puts-um in the same place. Course as you get older that "same place" tends to get a slightly larger. Slightly.

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

·
Registered
319 Posts
I could be wrong here so someone may have to help me out. I understand it has to do with the way Savage fits the barrel to its actions.
Apparently it's not the most solid connection around. However because there's a certain amount of give and take the barrel is able to self align itself after each shot, promoting very good accuracy. Feel free to add to this. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

·
Registered
39 Posts
Cal is right on the action. There's a bit of play in the savage bolt-head to allow the cartridge to align better in the chamber, thereby correcting any minor imperfections in machining. This greatly aids accuracy. Also, the way the barrels are mounted, with headspace being set during the mounting, plus the overall quality of the barrel (must be good for my FV to shoot 3/8 out of the box, no?). Finally the trigger. I got the Accutrigger when it just barely came out, and I've got to say It's great. light, crisp pull = consistency = better accuracy downrange. So, short answer, the combo of many little factors makes for a tackdriving rifle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
if you cant get a savage to shoot with factory ammo,then somthings wrong especialy if you are a hand loader...sounds like someone is knocking savage...must be one of those remington fans.. :) :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
i have an old savage 99a lever action that will shoot easaliy under a half inch with winchester power points,and a 308 16fss that shoots consientant 1/2 inch groups with federal 150 nosler bts,i hand load and feel there is no need to on these rifles,...www.savageshooters.com...
will answer any question you have about a savage....i have owned several more expensive rifles remington being a few and others,and my savages seem to shoot factory ammo easier and are one of the my most accurat rifles,if not the most...and the least expensive... :)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
It ain't the pillar bedding or the accutrigger, cause mine predates all that stuff. It must be the barrel. :D

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Graybeard said:
Assuming that they are is an assumption NOT backed up by those I've had experience with. So far I'm batting zero on finding or shooting one that was accurate.
My experience has been the opposite of GB. I've owned 3 Savage rifles.
All accurate. Two pre-date the accutrigger. I've owned an older 110DL in .270, a 110FP in 223, and a 11FL in 7mm-08.

·
Registered
29 Posts
fish280 said the most important,not to mention they have good barrels for a factory rifle...that ugly nut is one of the main keys.... :eek:

·
3,196 Posts
Savage did a good job in finding a cheap way to make a cheaply made rifle shoot good. From what I have seen in looking at them, their componants are cheap. The rifles are put together cheaply. But they seem, according to many evaluations, to shoot well. The perfect nitch in the rifle world.

Long

·
Registered
63 Posts
Poor ole graybeard, he's had nearly 300 accurate Remingtons and can't seem to find a single accurate Savage. You're just not trying man, take a look over at Savageshooters.com and you'll see your "results are not typical", by any means. Those guys have managed to find some VERY accurate Savages. Try their classifieds if you want to find an accurate Savage. As always, "your milage may vary".

The barrel nut allows Savage to keep headspace adjustments super accurate and easy to manipulate during manufacture. The floating bolt head also helps alignment. Savage has also made a huge effort in making accurate barrels, which goes a long way to help them maintain their long standing moniker as one of the most accurate bolt rifles out of the box. You needn't take my word for it, that's almost a direct quote from several gun rag articles when Savages are compared to others.
I have 4 Savages right now in .260, 7-08, .223 and .270, they are all super accurate for hunting rifles and a couple are amazingly accurate.

Are they the best gun made, heck no, are they good, you bet your rusty old Browning A5 they are, will they outshoot brand x every time, heck no. No rifle can claim that, but Savage can stand up to the test as well as most and better than many.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Last weekend my son and I took his new Savage 110G 30-06 out to the range. He doesn't shoot much so I thought it would be good for him to practice. It was bore sighted, but fresh from the box. In short order it was sighted in, and we began his practice. After about 2 hours and two boxes of ammo he was beginning to feel comfortable with the rifle. You could see he was improving as the session wore on. The savage shot as well as his experience allowed. Out of the box, after about the 5th shot no deer would have survived. For me that meant the rifle was plenty accurate. I didn't have much of a chance to shoot it myself, but the shots I took told me that I wouldn't turn one down. I really liked the trigger. He needs a better scope.

We are going to shoot some more in a few weeks. I want him to be ready for deer season.

·
Registered
577 Posts
The Savage design is the answer. Because of the way the barrel and action are mated, assembly is precise and quick. Labor costs are reduced. The gun isn't finished as nicely as other makes, which also cuts costs. It is generally considered ugly. Savage decided to emphasize accuracy - it isn't looks, fit or finish that sells them. The barrels are made with care, though, (a top custom barrel maker says Savage barrels are the best American factory barrels) and the bolt head design also contributes. The accu trigger was a stroke of genius which contributes to better groups. Some rifles are bought with the understanding that a trigger job costing 50 - 100 dollars plus will be needed for best shooting.

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
I have a savage model 10FP-LE2 with accu-trigger in 308 winchester.
this rifle is the most accurate rifle that i have ever shot. at 100 yards I am shooting the playing card I can take the center diamond out at that distance. I am using Remington 165 gr cor-loc bulk bullets you know the ones $45.00 for 500. I bet it could shoot way better if i use a match grade bullet.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts