Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whether you consider it "Customizing" or not let's hear the mods you make to an otherwise factory weapon.

PaulS

·
Registered
156 Posts
Rifle #1, M70 SS Classic Win 30-06 : polished follower,feed rails,and feed ramp. Had Boyd's laminated stock bedded, LOP cut to 13", and recoil pad installed. Polished trigger/sear and adjusted to 3lbs. pull weight with no over travel. Installed Leupold dual dovetail rings and bases. Mounted Pentax 2x8 Lightseeker scope.

Rifle #2, Ruger MKII SS .243 : Had trigger job done by Mr. Timney himself. Removed factory sling swivels and installed Uncle Mike's QD swivel studs. Polished feed ramp, feed rails, and follower. Used Scotchbrite sanding pad to give the barrel a brushed finish look. Installed Burris Signature 1.5x6 scope using Target Grey torx screws from Ruger. Dave

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hey folks, I ask the following just because I'm concerned and am not trying to start anything.

I've noticed a lot of folks refering to firearms used primarily for hunting and target shooting as "weapons". I understand that most of us have been employed by our grand Uncle (Sam), and that is the nomenclature assigned to the rifles we carried then. But... the general public's perception of a weapon is something dark and meant deal with the taking of human life in wartime or in a crime. Considering the battles we face continously from the anti-gun factions, and the non-shooting, non-gun owning public's perception of what a weapon is or is used for, are we hurting our cause by calling our sporting arms "weapons"?

This is just an honest question and something I've wondered about for awhile. I don't mean any disrespect to anyone or cower to the anti's.

Just curious.

After that question, I almost always make adjustments to my stocks. Some I've cut down, others I've thinned. Almost all I've refinished. Some just flat replaced. I've had rifles actions squared and lapped the lugs, had some barrels lapped, replaced others. Nearly all have been recrowned. Most all of my actions have been polished for smoother feeding and functioning. Triggers are adjusted and polished, actions glass bedded and barrels free floated if appropriate.

On handguns, typical after factory work involves replacing the springs and polishing cylinders on revolvers. Sometimes lapping the cylinders and barrel to removing any tight spots. I did build one 45 race gun and nearly everything was replaced and the slide tightened, compensator added, custom barrel, etc...

Each one is an individual and typically requires some amount of tweaking to get satisfactory. I don't think I have 2 that have had the exact same thing required to be done, even same make and models. I usually figure anywhere from 50-200 bucks on a new rifle purchase to get it the way I want it. Handguns are usually a bit cheaper, but my demands for handguns aren't quite as picky as for my rifles.

I usually don't do anything to shotguns, except I did replace the stock on one.

·
Administrator
26,211 Posts
YJ, that same question crossed my mind the when I read the posts earlier but I didn't really have the time then to make a post which is the only reason I didn't beat you to asking the same question.

I never refer to my guns as weapons except some times a concealed carry gun really. My guns are rifles, handguns and shotguns. I realize it is a fair common usage to say weapon but one I've never taken to personally.

But back to the answer to the question as regards my rifles. I've worked over the triggers on most for a better and/or lighter pull. I've glass bedded the actions and first few inches of barrel. For me that's pretty much been it for my rifles which is the subject of this forum.

GB

·
Registered
203 Posts
There's only one factory rifle in the safe, and my wife had the nerve to claim it :lol: It is a ruger M77 Mk II .308 ultralight. Before she claimed, I glass bedded the action, free floated the barrel, it was an older model MK II so I converted it to control round feed, and I d/t'd the trigger for an over travel screw, as well as slicking up the trigger and sear. After she claimed it, I had to cut 1 1/2" off the stock to fit her.

Future plans are to slim down the stock, as the factory makes it a bit plumper then necessary, which will leed me to re-checker it, and I'll fit a packmeyer decellerator, as the factory pad is too hard. I also want to slick up the action a little bit, and put a different scope on it. Suprisingly a chepo Bushnell sportview 4X has held up to 100's of rounds w/o a hickup.

The gun will print most ammo into 1 to 1 1/2" 3 shot groups, handloads are hovering around 5/8-3/4", I still haven't shot a 1/2" group with it yet.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
:D On my mausers I've added new barrels.Timney triggers ,new stocks and bedding.Lapped bolt lugs and had bolt face squared up.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Custom firearms.......

I have not really customised many rifles to date. I am building a Sharps 74 Buffalo rifle which will be customised only in the type of stocks I am having made - Australian Eucalypt as against traditional walnut.

However I do have a 1970s manufacture .44 mag Winchester 94 which I had customised to make it a more convenient pig hunting/Ute [pickup] rifle. The barrel was reduced to 18 inches - easier to access it in the ute and balances so much better in my mind. Saddle ring added - to tie it in its scabbard [a feature that is just Winchester and the one thing I always feel lacking on modern 94 carbines] Lever enlarged - easier to use now in winter with gloves and finally a Lyman Tang sight - a must for long range varminting with the .44 ;) hahaha, not really, but it sure is an advantage when I have access to it even if it is just to shoot a tin can at 100-200 meters...

My brother is planning to custom build a .308 bolt action rifle. It will have double set triggers, spoon bolt handle, 20" barrel, lovely full length walnut stock with cheek piece, 1 standing and 2 folding leaf rear and hooded front sight, probably Redfield 2 piece Mounts and a 4-12 Leoupold scope. I already have one of these, though in .243 - it is a Mannlicher Schoenauer carbine, a real piece of work! No customising, just add scope and mounts and I had the dream rifle. Not for everyone, but they sure do cut it for me!!!

Customising firearms is a something special, adding that personnal/individual touch or improving a feature. I wish I could do more, but have enough projects on the go. Maybe again soon!!! Have been thinking of a custom Savage 99 for sometime ;)

cheers,

Cam...

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
I guess I got started gunsmithing because I couldn't afford to get the models/features I really wanted so bought cheaper and altered them myself.. Mostly stock work but I've always liked good trigger action and most have been altered/lightened to some degree, even a couple of shotguns. As to my guns being called weapons, they are weapons. There is nothing wrong with the term and I don't really care if some else's sensibilities are affended. A rifle is a rifle but be assured it is also a weapon... I feel WE should be offended when someone has such a meager intelect that they are adversely affected by a word and expect us to alter our behavior so they can feel safe??. I suggest that should you have someone raise the issue, that you point out their lack of understanding where the english language is concerned. There are far too many sheep in this country already. from the gunnut69

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ruger M77 in .257 Robts: I bought this used at Cabelas for 300 a little bit of the bluing had worn off the end of the barrel, but I didn't care. I knew I had other plans for it. Unfortunately this is my only rifle, for now.

Immediately replaced 6-7 lb lawyer trigger (Felt like 12lbs) with Timney, adjusted to 3Lbs. Duracoat, matte black finish - very tough stuff, highly recommended. (Ruger's bluing is pretty for a gun safe, but too much glare for my needs). Recrowned. Glass Bedded - not free floated, I still need to do this, but I'll probably just get another stock (Laminate), still has the original and I've read about barrel pressure on the forend. I mounted a Burris Signature 4-16X44 on it. I really love this cartridge, and I'm still working on a few handloads. I was getting a little frustrated trying to tighten up groups, so I tried Tubbs Final Finish Fire Lapping - Finally brought groups under 1.5 at 100yds and worked up better loads from there. Best Varmint Load to date: .581 5 shot group Sierra 87gr varminter over 42.5g H380 @ 100yrds. Field Results: 3 exploded crows - 190 - 230 yds. Deer Loads 100 gr Hornady SP with 36.3gr Varget. Results: One 8pt buck opening day, followed by a mature doe 15 seconds later. Both one shot and drop at 190 yds. Odd for me because I've never had the opportunity to shoot a deer at more than 50 yds until this year.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've got an Abolt Micro Hunter in 308 that is getting worked a bit. The lugs made good contact as from the factory. I mounted a Leupold VXIII 1.75-6 on it in dual dovetails. I've polished the clip edges as they gouged the brass when working the action and chambering a round. I've ordered a laminate stock for it in a full mannlicher length, roll-over cheek peice, classic sort of grip, to be glassbedded and free floated. Eventually it will have a schnabel forend and a decellerater recoil pad. I'm planning to have it given a flat black ceramic coating to further smooth out the action and stop any rust issues. When it's all done I just hope it shoots itty bitty groups.

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
I'm with GB and Yukon,

Hunting rifles are not weapons. To me firearms are firearms and never referred to as weapons which suggests an intention to use them against a person.

Having said that. Timney triggers in everything, glass bedding in everything, mag-na-porting in calibers >300win, decelerator or limb saver pads and when needed, new barrels. Oh yeah...I may have the barrel recrowned depending on how it looks to me.

Doug

·
Registered
317 Posts
home modification

1) Ruger m77mkII . in 25-06 worked the trigger ( very easy ) and worked up loads that shoot straight and hit hard.

2) Winchester Model 94 30-30 removed "buckhorn" sight and installed a Williams receiver sight.

3) Savage 110 in 270, replaced barrel in 338-06, worked trigger ( easy ) stripped and refinished stock. Worked up loads for 2 different bullet weights both are moa shooters.

Ruger MKII pistol. Replaced factory sear with a volquartson, replaced trigger, and extractor.

All this is very easy to do by someone with a minimum amount of mechanical understanding. Saying that, just because you change your own brakes does not mean you should pull you guns apart and start filing.
Understanding what the components are designed to do is the key.

longwalker

·
Registered
140 Posts
Coming in a little late on this one, but have to ask "Why use the word "weapon" when there are so many other descriptive nouns to describe the objects of our affection?". May seem like a minor thing to most, but when the antis and fence sitters see us describing our guns as weapons, it puts us all in a bad light.
Granted, any gun can be a weapon, but 99.9% never will be used that way. A baseball bat, kitchen knife and hammer can and have frequently been used as weapons to harm others, but I don't hear anyone referring to these items as weapons in normal conversation. This is a pet peeve of mine, but let's call things what they are: i.e. hunting "rifle", target "pistol", home defense "shotgun", etc. Make sense?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm in the process of my first custom rifle. Started out with a 700 ADL SA, sent it to Pac-Nor for truing, bluing and a #2 contour SS Br barrel chambered in 708. Now it's inroute to McMillian for a remington Classic in a McSwirley. I have Talley's being color casehardened and will probably put on a Loupie of some sort.

Most of my other rifle mods include a trigger, trigger adjust, bedding, swivel studs or peep sites.

·
Registered
98 Posts
"Weapon", isn`t a word I use to describe my firearms. Tho I haven`t known the word "weapon" to have issues Down Under.... I have heard it used by shooters, 99.99% of the time it is said tongue in cheek. "Toys" is also not uncommon amongst shooters. But then Political correctness is not a big Aussie trait... The mere mention of "Gun" publicly down here in the press or casual talking is a term that brings the anti firearm owners to the boil. "Gun" has all the impact they need. I remember reading old hunting stories of the pioneering days in India and the big Game Hunters, where the double barreled pistol carried in a hip holster was often called a self defence weapon. Not self defence for man, but beast - Tiger...

Back to the original Post... I have a Browning single shot being built into a .40-82 BPCR. Picked up a nice little .22k hornet on a Martini action that was customised. I am about to undertake work on it soon - Octagonal barrel will be a start. I am giving much thought to building a revolving rifle, along the lines of the S&W .320. This would be very different down this way.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have 12 centerfre rifles (not counting military rifles), and every ome of them has the action glass bedded, the barrel floated and the triggers modified. Unlike many shooters I don't find todays firearms all that well made, finding they need all the help we can give them to shoot accurately.
I'm a bit of a fanatic about this, insisting all my bolt action rifles group at 1" or less (5 shots, 100ds.). There's not much sense in owning a rifle that you can't extract all the practical accuracy from. Just one mans opinion. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

·
Registered
28 Posts
I build nice sporters from military Mausers. Usually a new stock, new barrel, d&t for scope, trigger, new bolt handle, etc. On the one I finished a couple of weeks ago, I used the original barrel as it was a mint condition 30/06 (Colombian FN30), along with a chopped Venezuelan FN30 stock. I usually favor the laminate stocks, but this one was so pretty that I couldn't bring myself to toss it. Full length tigerstriping with a paduak (bright red) nosecap. Really nice weight and balance, looks good, and shoots good.
The one I am working on now is a previously sporterized 1909 Argentine, with a crappy military 7mm barrel on it. Already have a new .280 Remington barrel in hand, but not installed or headspaced yet. Ordered a CoreLite stock for it, but after looking at that, I will be sending it back! Ordered a couple more stocks, but they aren't here yet. Modified the floorplate release lever to include a raised hump inside the triggerguard, so I don't need 2 hands to pop the floorplate! Cut rear wall from magazine and added a new rear wall, magazine length went from 3.320" to 3.430". Rings and mounts are on order, bolt handle (previously forged, not bad), is on hold until stock/rings/scope combination is checked out, but I will probably weld on a new bolt handle. The original plan was for a phosphate metal finish with a composite stock, but nothing is final yet. Bolt lugs, receiver face and torque shoulder, and bolt face will all be lapped/trued before headspacing. Basically on hold for parts and materials, but everything should be here by this weekend!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts