Graybeard Outdoors banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Zachary,
Nosler has never, to my knowledge, reccomended any Balistic Tip bullets in 30 cal or smaller as an elk bullet. The 338 Balistic Tip is recognized as a dependable elk getter.
I know several people that use the 25, 270, and 284 Balistic Tips as deer bullets with great success, even in high velocity cartridges like the 25-06, 270 Win, and 7MM RM. I have killed several deer with the 30 cal 165 gr Balistic Tip in my 30-06 at 2900 fps MV. Only once did I fail to achieve a one shot kill with this bullet, and that was only the fault of the marksman.
I have only seen the 165 gr Balistic Tip exit a deer on neck or head shots. On any chest shots I have taken, the bullet has fragmented inside the deer, totally destroying the heart, lungs, and (depending on the angle of the shot) possibly the liver and diaphram. While any of these organs makes for a lethal shot. A deer will never travel very far if you manage to destroy them in combination.
On the other hand, a premium bullet can not make up for poor shot placement. A gut shot deer is still gut shot even with the best bullet money can buy.
Judging from the performance in the field which I have witnessed and experienced, I would not hesitate to use the heavier Balistic Tip bullets in any caliber above 243 for deer hunting. But I definitely want a less frangible bullet when elk hunting.
One of the best guides to the proper use of a bullet is in the manufacturers' own loading manuals. Most of them will give a guide as to the weight of game and muzzle velocity the bullet was designed for. Many Balistic Tip bullets were designed as varmint bullets and are therefor very frangible. These are usually the lightest weight for caliber, and are identified as such in the Nosler manual.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Favorite Rifle to Shoot for Fun

I'd have to say that any one of my .22 rimfires are the usual fun rifles. Cheap, no recoil and little noise. Next would be my Remington 700VSSF there's nothing more fun than tiny groups at long range. And last is any of my muzzleloaders. There's nothing like the smell of blackpowder in the morning.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Favorite is my wildcat 458.

My favorite is my 458 Hubel Express wildcat cartridge.350 gr bullet
at 3500 fps.400 gr at 3300 fps, and so on.We shot it 1900 times in
3 years testing 4 bullet wts , 17 powders, and 2 barrel lengths, for load
developement.We are going to get a run of brass made.Anyone interested
let me know.Here are pics of two flanking a 458 Win.Ed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ed, WOW. Please give more details. What is the OAL? What action is used? What brass do you start with? And last but not least, What in this world prompted you to achieve that kind of velocity from a 350 and 400 grain bullet??

·
Registered
524 Posts
458 HE info.

Steve-I built cartridge to outdo all other 45 calibers, with a straight design
that allows dozens of reloads.With moderate 350 gr load the cartridge on
the left in picture, was reloaded a 100 times.My test rifle was a Ruger 77
used as a single shot,also have an Enfield. The Ruger was a 458 Win.
I designed it to be able to rechamber 458 Win,Lotts,Watts, and Ackleys,
as a powerful upgrade.I built the case from 450 NE basic brass.It is
3.45 in long.I have enough brass for myself, but others want to try it,
so we are getting things together for a run of factory brass.This cartridge is perfect for Ruger #1.Two friends are getting #1s in 458Win and they will just do a simple rechamber..If you need a 500 gr load it can do over 2800 fps. If loaded to actual Weatherby velocities, 25-2600, it would only be a 40,000 psi load, and brass would last.Ed.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts