Graybeard Outdoors banner

What round would you choose for a cross over rifle for Varmint Predators and Deer?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking of a cross over Varmint Deer rifle for some time now. There are a lot of choices out there. I don't reload yet so for this poll I only listed calibers that have factory ammo offered. I know there are a lot more cross over rounds than I have listed. So if you would chose another round vote other and list the one that you prefer. Dale

·
Registered
312 Posts
If a man could only afford on gun, it would be a .270 or a 30 06

You can load up or down with either of these rounds and kill almost anything in North America.

30 06 held the accuracy records in the military for more than 50 years - until the .308 Winchester came on board.

All them other calibers are less than desirable for hunting big game in my book!

·
Registered
479 Posts
It is a close tie between the .260 and the .25-06. For the .260, you can get loads below 100 grain, and you can get bullets up over 140 grains that have a slight ballistic advantage over the 7mm-08. Unfortunately, I think it is more of a handloaders' round.

The .25-06 is also an excellent choice. There are a lot of factory loadings for this. It is fast, and flat shooting, with a wide variety of bullets.

I would not hesitate to use either on deer sized game.

·
Registered
533 Posts
My question is what class of varmints are we talking about? The odd groundhog in the clover patch? If so, then anything will work, and I have killed many (G-hogs and deer with the .270). If we are talking high-volume shooting at prarie dogs + deer sized game, I'd go a bit smaller, in the 243-260 range.

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mostly Groundhogs and maybe coyotes. Dale

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
My .257 Roberts, loaded to +P levels, is my favorite rifle. With 75g V-MAX it has taken coyotes (2) past 480 yards. For deer-sized game I load the 115g TSX and 120g A-Frame. Personally I prefer the .25's heavier bullets to the .243/6mm's. A .25-06 just offers a bit more velocity. I have long considered the .25-06 to be the best dual-purpose cartridge available.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I only own one centerfire, with it I have killed over 150 deer, 6 black bear and numerous coyotes, groundhogs, crows and various other varmints...It's a .243.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
The very first cartridge that comes to mind is the .25-06. The second cartridge that comes to mind is the .243.

Granted, both cartridges can effectively kill both deer and varmints (given reasonable shooting distances, bullet construction, and, most importantly, bullet placement.)

I think that it boils down to this - if you are going to be shooting more deer than varmints, then get the .25-06.

On the other hand, if you will be shooting more varmints than deer, then get the .243.

Zachary

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
The 243 was designed as a crossover cartridge.
It has been the most successful at it.

Why are you second guessing your 243?
With a gun like yours you can shoot a deer in the heart. He's gonna die very soon.
I have seen many whitetails taken with a 243.
Besides there is no better coyote round.

Varment hunting is all year. Deer is just two weeks here.

·
Registered
28,628 Posts
I voted 25-06 , the 243 is good for sure and with in its range limit is a good choice .
but if you are where you are at the limit with the 243 the 25 is better be it range or bullet weight !
the trade is more kick and more powder but only a little of either !
So if you have to choose why not choose the one that does the most ? IMHO

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am pretty surprised here with the poll so far. I thought the 260 would have got a lot more votes. Dale

·
Registered
395 Posts
Must be the 6.5x55 and you don't have to use different bullets, Nosler even made a Varmit bullet that can be used
for deer, I think it is called........BT ;D

·
Registered
999 Posts
I was hard pressed between the 243 & 25/06. With the 25 ya get just that little more something that's needed sometimes. But not being a reloader hurts ya here. There are lots of offerings for the 25 but most stores don't carry more than one,generally the Rem 120 Corelokt. Mine didn't shot these worth a dang. You're more likely to find 243s just about everywhere.

HWD

·
Registered
744 Posts
The said:
If a man could only afford on gun, it would be a .270 or a 30 06

You can load up or down with either of these rounds and kill almost anything in North America.

30 06 held the accuracy records in the military for more than 50 years - until the .308 Winchester came on board.

All them other calibers are less than desirable for hunting big game in my book!
;D + 1

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
I chose the .243 because it is one of the best coyote slayers out there. And it performs well on deer in my hands. Now if the question woulda been crossover for varmints, deer and elk I woulda chose the 6.5X55. That's the caliber I chose to make for my sons rifle.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts