Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody I picked up a .35 whelen handi rifle barrel a while ago from a guy on here and was wondering what kinda scope is everyone using?
Looking to get a scope for it so I don't have to keep switching my scope back and forth from the .45-70 barrel.

Thanks for the help!

Zach

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
If your scope is working well on the .45-70 it'll be fine on the Whelen. If it is low powered, you may want a little more reach for the Whelen depending on where and how you hunt.

Pete

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The one I have now is a 3-9x
Not sure on the brand it came in the box with the rifle when I got it at gander mountain.
Haven't got to play with the .45-70 to much cause of work but the scope works decent from what I've seen so far.

I just wasn't sure if maybe it would be easier or better to have a different scope for each barrel.

·
Super Moderator
51,500 Posts
3-9X is more than enough for a big game rifle, I like 2-7x too, I hunt with the scope set at it's lowest setting, if I need higher magnification for a longer shot, there's always time to crank it up, not so if you have a close shot and have the scope set at a higher setting, the smaller field of view on higher settings isn't conducive to quick target acquisition. I have a 3-9x Leupy on my 35Whelen Improved and a 2.8-10x Aetec on the RMEF Whelen.

Tim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
Keeping one scope for two rifles will eventually cost you more for ammo than buying another scope. You'll have to zero it every time you change it, not to mention the PITA factor. A 3-9x40 or 50 is perfect for both.

Pete

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
I have a Leupold 2-7 power VX-2 on my 35 Whelen. It's a good low profile scope that's always held zero for me. Low light performance is more than adequate for hunting and eye relief is great. I've had no problems breaking clay pigeons at 200yds with this setup.

I agree with Pete, it's a PITA to swap scopes between rifles. I would suggest a dedicated scope for each rifle as well.

Natchez Shooters Supply had the Weaver classic 2-7 on sale for ~ $120 last time I checked. It's an excellent scope for that price that I wouldn't hesitate to purchase if I was in need of a scope right now.

peak98

·
Registered
594 Posts
I had my leupold 2x7 on my 35 Whelen which worked great but decided to move that to the 45-70. Now I have a 2.5x10 on the Whelen which is plenty of glass for it.

·
Registered
579 Posts
If it were mine I would put the best 2x7 or 3x9 I could find at a reasonable price. I like the new burris scopes as well as the nikons and the better bushnells. The key is try a few and see what looks best to your eyes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Spanky said:
Something with good eye relief! ;)

Spanky
Haha yeah definitely!

Thanks everyone for the replies!
That's what I was thinking is it's gonna be annoying having to go through siting it back in over and over changing back and forth ha.

Alright I'll look into some of these thank everyone!

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Most all of my handis wear the same scope... 2x7x32 Leupold's. My favorite scope!

I also like small fixed powers so I have a couple 2x, 2.5X and 3X as well. :)

CW

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
SLPCobra said:
What's everyone think of these Nikon Monarch 3 Riflescope with 2.5-10x42
Its a well made scope.

IMHO too large for a handi, but some guys like that look/feel/weight. ;D

CW

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cwlongshot said:
SLPCobra said:
What's everyone think of these Nikon Monarch 3 Riflescope with 2.5-10x42
Its a well made scope.

IMHO too large for a handi, but some guys like that look/feel/weight. ;D

CW
Haha yeah it looked kinda large I was just looking online on gander mountain for some till I can get in there and look at them to see how they are.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Not sure who else might be using these but I recently picked up a 3-9x Oculus at Bass Pro and I've had it on a couple different rifles. Currently it's on a Rem 798 in 270 Win and it's held it's zero perfectly. Glass is very bright but the only thing I don't like is the reticle is very thin and can be hard to see in low light. They are imports from China but I would say the quality is pretty good. Best part is they are about 2/3 the cost of the Nikon Prostaff which is what I think they are meant to copy. Bass Pro also has a no questions asked warranty. Anything goes wrong, you walk in and they give you a new scope. Just a thought incase you have a Bass Pro around.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nhecht25 said:
Not sure who else might be using these but I recently picked up a 3-9x Oculus at Bass Pro and I've had it on a couple different rifles. Currently it's on a Rem 798 in 270 Win and it's held it's zero perfectly. Glass is very bright but the only thing I don't like is the reticle is very thin and can be hard to see in low light. They are imports from China but I would say the quality is pretty good. Best part is they are about 2/3 the cost of the Nikon Prostaff which is what I think they are meant to copy. Bass Pro also has a no questions asked warranty. Anything goes wrong, you walk in and they give you a new scope. Just a thought incase you have a Bass Pro around.
Alright thanks nhecht25 I'll check it out
Btw thanks again for the whelen barrel can't wait to try this thing out!

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
I have a 1.75-5 on one of my Whelens. Don't remember the brand, but think it's a Redfield. The other I use a ghost ring, with a bead front site.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts