Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new 347 with factory length barrel and mount. What scope is on yours. It's not reamed to Max and not sure what ammo I'm going with yet. I have 158 FMJ, CCI Blazer and some MagTech 38 special. Plan to use 357 Leverolution for deer/hogs and 38 wadcutter for paper squirrel and bunnies

VVLLBS

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
I've had good results with Nikon Prostaff 3X9X40 on several rifles. You can usually find them at a good price. A straight 4X is adequate for 357 magnum, but the urge to ream to maxi just might overtake you. :)

·
Banned
3,717 Posts
for fast and cheap I recommend a shotgun scope. I have a tasco bantam on one, but also a 4x fixed power Simmons Pro=Diamond on 2 other guns and a Bushnell 1.5 to 4.5 on one, all have worked very well for me, I suppose the Pro-Diamond would be the first choice. Surprisingly clear for the money, the adjustments are a bit coarse but reliable. Excellent field of view and eye relief. The Tasco is tough, only 2.5 power, but mounts in front of the hammer and is very small and light.
I think you will find that 4X is plenty for anything, even small game at under 100 yards, and the 357 probably should not be used much farther than that- larger and heavier scopes just add weight and bulk.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I topped mine with a one piece mount and a Vortex Viper 2-7x32. I'm extremely happy with how it turned out. I sighted in with LeverEvolution and I'm hoping somebody will take a deer with it this year. It's what I'm calling my "buddy rifle". Basically a backup for my main rifle and a extra rifle in case I can convince a family member to get out with me.

I think most any scope with a 1x or 2x variable magnification and up to a 44mm objective will be a go. If I had to pick another scope it would be 2-8x or a 4x32 fixed power.

If you don't expect any super close shots then Cabelas has a 3-12 for $60 shipped. It gets some pretty good reviews. I'm tempted but there's nothing I want to put one on.

Good luck...

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
we have many.....
mine has the Nikon p-223 (corrected) I forgot.......... ::)
I think all the grandkids have the simmons pro-diamond 4x32 SG on there's.
its hard too keep up with 4-5 hellyan's............ :eek:

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
I like that Nikon P233 3x too! I have a couple on handis.

My Maxi shorty wears a Leupold M8 3X scope. It's all I have ever needed :)

Been on there a LONG TIME, this is how I bought the rifle and mounted the scope shortly after.

CW

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Simmons 4x12x40 in med rings, clears the hammer with a little to spare.
Under 70$ for scope and rings.

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
Bugbuster 4x Mildot

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Weaver classic V7 2-7x32.............fits the gun well.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Burris 4x on mine, but I think I will go to a 6x or a 2-7 shortly. My eyes ain't what they were...... Leupold, Weaver, better grade Bushnell and Burris are my favorites.

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
I have a Tasco 2.5X Bantam mounted low ahead of the hammer on my 357 Max. I like the circle X crosshairs so it gives me a quick pointing scope + different aim points for different loads. It is cheap, tough and holds zero well. I also have one of these mounted on my lever 44 Mag Marlin and it does good here also. I have used them on 22 rim fire rifles and they work well on those too. I currently own 4 of them.

Good Luck and Good Shooting

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've have a Mueller Speed Shot 1-4X 30mm. I put it on my 357 with 16" suppressed barrel and love it. http://muelleroptics.com/mueller-speed-shot-1-4x24 It has a nice illuminated dot for dusk/dawn, and a sharp black dot for bright daytime use.

With subsonic loads, I've got to dial in a huge elevation adjustment to hit the gong at 200yards. puff-ting puff-ting
In truth, it works really well from 0 to 150 yards with reasonable adjustments. I can dial it out to 1x for a nice wide view, but zoom in to target about 2.5" groups at 100 yards.

Fun, but not extremely useful. But, when you go supersonic, it is comfortable to shoot without

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts