Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
I have a full safe, but Thompson Center fills the most slots.
54 Posts
So dang cool! For me? A handy little thumper like that would be great for close quarters hog and bear work, so I'd want low magnification. However, a 16" .308 is very capable out to a couple hundred yards, so my old eyes would need a bit of zoom. I'd try to find a compact variable scope. 1.5-5 or 2-7x32 something in that size. Congrats, that's super cool! I'm sitting at my bench loading some .460 S&W for my 20" Katahdin barreled Encore.

Reactions: CWC and deadeer

·
Registered
851 Posts
Awesome shorty!!

I like a low power variable (as above) for it's versatility. Coupled with an illuminated reticle with single center dot, it can work like a red dot sight up close at 1X and easily do 250yds at 4X.

Depending on your budget, I'd look at 1-4s by Primary Arms, Vortex Crossfire II and Hawkes in the Vantage and Endeavor lines. Going up in price, the Leupold VX-R in 1.25-4 (Firedot Duplex) is a great choice.

I have and use all of the above on rifles chambered in .44mag, .45C, 9.3x62, 9.3x74R, 444, 45-70 and .450.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
That is a couple ways cool. I like a compact fixed or a 2-7x32 on shorter rifles. I've had a fixed 4x32, fixed 2.5x25, and a 2-7x32 on a couple shorties (T/C, Traditions, H&R, and a lever). They compliment the smaller package and keep the whole thing down in weight as well. I have a Hawke Optics 2-7x32 that has been excellent for me for over 15 years. There are better quality, but it has worked well for me.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
The scope rail is so far forward, it looks like it was set up for a scout scope with long eye relief. Could also use a red dot. Standard eye relief won't work.

Are there more mounting holes drilled and tapqped to the rear of your scope rail?

Photo shows where a typical encore scope mount is attached:

Attachments

·
Registered
819 Posts
That barrel is begging for a Vortex Spitfire AR sight and a 30mm Leopuld VX.R, And ??? that is why rings have screws

added later, I do use Warne QR rings on almost all of my scopes makes changing a breeze, And yeah I am weird like that

Reactions: CWC

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The scope rail is so far forward, it looks like it was set up for a scout scope with long eye relief. Could also use a red dot. Standard eye relief won't work.

Are there more mounting holes drilled and tapqped to the rear of your scope rail?

Photo shows where a typical encore scope mount is attached:
The base can be turned around for normal mounting. MGM had it like that when they sent it to me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts