Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Wildcat Would You Develop?

I'd like a .300 WSM necked up to .338. I think it'd be an ideal rifle for most anything.

TOm

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Re: What Wildcat Would You Develop?

Advocate said:
I'd be interested if anyone has an idea for a new wildcat cartridge, or perhaps has already designed and executed one of their own. Don't be bashful.
I would like to see a 4,000fps in a larger caliber maybe in a 7mm or 6.5 I just hate it when those chucks get back in the hole after their shot? Maybe a 300 H&H case a 7/300? Plenty of powder room? And boom? BigBill

just my thoughts sorry I'm a sick man!!!!!! :D

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts

Like our guest Advocate, I too am getting a fancy for the .35 caliber rifles. I am looking to get a .35 Whelen.

As far as wilcats go, I similarly would be interested in a .358 WSM of sorts - but I doubt this will happen in the near future. :cry: I would also like to see either a .264 WSM or a 6.5mm-06 (which is already in use.)

Zachary

·
Registered
4 Posts
wildcat

Just about everything has already been made except for playing with the .300WSM. I have an older M700 in .243 that is about due for a new barrel. It is still a MOA gun though. I was thinking of a .243/.300WSM. If it works in this barrel I might buy a 1 in 7 inch twist barrel so that it would stabalize the 105gr VLD bullets. This would be a varmint rifle.
Another good one would be a 7mm/.300WSM which would be good for most of the game in north america. Actually I have heard that Winchester plans on coming out with a .270WSM. Makes sense.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Winchester HAS introduced both the 7mm WSM and the .270 WSM, and, .223 and .243 WSSM (Winchester Super Short Magnum). SOunds like all you want is already here........... :grin:

Tom

·
Registered
267 Posts

How about the wssm in 6.5 or take the under rated 35 Rem and blow out the body and give it the Ackley treatment = to the .358.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts

:sniper: I like that 35 WSM idea. There are already a ton of small and medium wildcats. The bbig direction is more fascinating. A 50 cal necked down to 45.

·
Registered
267 Posts

I am interested in the load data on the 35 Rem. AI. I have a 35 Rem. in a XP 100r that I have found to be very accurate.
The 35 Rem. is a under loaded cartridge because of its beginings. It was considered to be a low pressure round because the actions it was available in were not strong enough to handle its abilities. I took a 35 case and cut it in half to see if it was a thin walled case and found that it was as thick as many other high pressure rounds. This told me that in the strong Rem. action it could be loaded to much higher pressures than reloading manuals maxiums, even as high as the .358 Win. I started increasing my loads a little at a time and found that in one powder I could safely go 10 grains over the manuals max. In many of the powders I tried I would run out of case capacity before I reached a hot load.
My hunting load is 45g of H335 and a 180g Hornady SSP. With 3g over in one manual, in another its over 7g and its not a max. load. Please don't use this with your gun unless you first work up from the manuals to be sure it is safe for your gun. The 180g bullet I am shooting is giving me around 2500 fps in a 15" barrel with that load. The AI. round should give very close balistics to the .358, as long as you load them to the same pressure. Just to brag on this pistol, I get 3/4" groups at 100yds with a 2X Burris shooting my hunting load.

·
Registered
4 Posts
wildcats

Like I said in an earlier post, "most everything has already been done". Winchester with thier short magnums took what could have been some fun wildcatting and made them into factory rounds. I hate that when that happens. It is getting harder and harder to brag about your rifle that is chambered for something other than factory loads. There are still the Achley improved. There isn't anything that I would change on the WSM.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Wildcatting

It's probably all been done at one time or another. I necked down a .416Remington to .411 just for jollies. I also like the .411/.348Winchester. A friend and I played with a .41/.50AE in a Desert Eagle for awhile. Lost interest in the gun, not the cartridge. This was before the .440Corbon. Not much you can't buy custom these days. RKBA! 8)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wildcat cartridge

I have had a lot of fun with the wildcat I designed. Always having been a 6MM bore fan I opted to create one with the features I wanted without the usual hassles involved with "wildcats". I encountered feeding problems with the Ackley Improved (243, 6MM, & 257 Imp), the 6MM Gibbs and the 6 X .284. Getting them to feed properly took time and left the action seemingly uselsss for standard cartridges after alteration. I wanted more velocity than the 243 and 6MM delivered with greater barrel life than the 240 Weatherby. What I did was split the difference between the 6MM case (57MM) and the '06 (63MM). I opted for the same shoulder angle as the 6MM Remington. Now I am getting 3250 fps with the Remington 100 grain bullet without signs of excessive pressure. Have shot everything from praire dogs to elk with excellent results. Also "improved" the 6.5X55 which turned out to be a great all around cartridge.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Wildcats

Nah, didn't gain much at all. It fits in my .41 caliber collection a little better, though. Haven't gotten around to trying pistol bullets, cast or jacketed. Another project raised it's head and I haven't gotten back to it yet. I guess it's my attention deficit. RKBA! :grin:

·
Registered
213 Posts

I'm working on one right now, which is a 458 Win Mag case straightened out to fire a 475 cal bullet. Gonna call it the "475 Hud" .

There is a 470 Capstick, which is the full length 375 Mag case opened up to 475. But no one that I know of has done this with the 2.5" case. There are also several versions of the 45-70 case opened up to 475 and I think some one has done it to the 450 Marlin already.

I am a bolt man myself, so I am having it put in a standard length 98 mauser action.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My wildcat

I went the other way and made a tiny one.
20gr bullet~1200 ft/sec , 18gr bullet~1700 ft/sec. Still early in development, about 1" group @50 yds but only 3 groups fired total so far.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Well, since you asked....
I have a few I'd love to see.
First is a Dakota cartridge necked up to .416". Not the 416 Dakota, but a 2.5" case like the others.
I think this would be a great Chamber for those cheap milsurp Mausers still floating around, and would probably do what the 416 Rem does.
Second, 350 Rigby, Imp. Basically a "358 STA Beltless" as someone on another forum put it. Blow the base out to match the rim dia, minimal taper, 30deg shoulder. This, because I like the STA, and I like old cartridges, and I like beltless brass. Of course, it would cost serious $$ for brass, etc, so it'll never happen, but you didn't ask that part. :wink:
Third, A 358-338 Lapua Improved, particularly in a rifle throated to seat 310-gr bulelts out of the powder as much as possible.
Fourth, another 35 cal, a 358-416 Dakota. Baiscally the same as RUM with no rebated rim. I do believe I'd choose this one over the STA if it were available, as my "as-yet-theoretical" elk rig.
-All three of these 35's would make incredibly versatile big game cartridges, with really big bullets going around 2700 fps for griz, to 250 grainers at 2950+ for longer-than-I'll-ever-take shots at moose/elk, down to pistol bullets loaded down for deer in the brush (to make a point.)
Last, (and speaking of rebated rims) a 35-284, for a short action w/35 Whelen ballistics.
This one's probably been done, and I bet the heavier bullets didn't fair so well, but still sounds like a good idea.

I'd say the small-bore world has about zero holes I'm interested in filling; give me a 6.5x55 (or like), an '06, a big 35, a big 416 and a 45-70 and I'm done with centerfires (sad, I know.)
Since the 35 is really untapped for the most part, it leaves me some room for imagination.
:D

·
Registered
522 Posts
These are the ones I've done and am working on.

First in picture;458Win----Second;458 Hubel Express all developed,
tested, and going to get a run of brass made.---Third; 510 Hubel
Express, dveloped. tested, going to change to 550 HE-----last the
700 HE, in development and testing.Ed.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Real good at max-Better than others at lower pressure.

Advocate... The 458 HE gets 450 gr bullet to 3000 fps,
350 gr over 3500 fps...The 510 HE 600 gr at 3000 fps.
The 700 HE 1000 gr over 3100 fps..Loaded down, brass lasts
forever. The 458 HE case in picture was loaded 100 times with
moderate 350 gr load..458 HE is perfect for Ruger #1..Ed.

·
Registered
547 Posts

I think the .338 -08 would be a great round or even a .338 WSM would be nice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts