Graybeard Outdoors banner

If you could hunt no other NA game what would it be?

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I love moose hunting but I think if I had to choose just one animal to hunt, it would be whitetails. Never hunted Elk, might change my mind when I finally try it. Heard a bugle while moose hunting a few years ago (from the released animals near Bancroft)...that was pretty wild to hear.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
BLACK BEARS. Brown, Grizzly and Polar would offer even more excitement but they aren’t found around my house. Like to have a little excitement when hunting. Bears will give you this. Don't hunt them over a stinking pile of bait or run them with dogs but get on the ground and use the spot and stalk method of hunting. Archery or rifle, bears supply excitement and great eating. Lawdog

·
Registered
143 Posts
My Favorite

I've hunted more whitetails than anything by far. Here in S.East PA, the bow and flintlock hunting is phenomenal, but a little too cloistered...not enough wide open space.

Lived in OR for 4 years and really enjoyed elk hunting. Especially with a bow. It's a tough call....but the whitetail has it.

Besides, when you put an animal the size of an elk on the ground, the work really begins; especially if you're hunting where no motorized vehicles are allowed and you don't have horses or mules.

·
3,205 Posts
All I have ever hunted is whitetail. That being said can I cheat and say "ALL THE OTHERS" :lol:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hunting

I had to vote for white-tails only becuase the allowable season for Elk is so short. I absolutely love my Contender Back-pack hunts into the Colorado wilderness. Bob Milek would be proud! Here in SE PA I can shoot as many deer as I can buy tags for, and the season runs for 6-weeeks bow and 6-weeks special regs doe(antlersless). I know, they are doe. If anyone has a real good recipe for antlers, I'll change my tune. Otherwise, I'll shoot my one Buck I'm allowed and the do my part for the population control thing.

·
Registered
157 Posts
what would you hunt if you could hunt only on

Seems lie most of the hunters are "back east" and mule deer were left off the list. They are great amimals and it is beautiful country. Makes for some great hunts in either the desert of the mountains.MY VOTE GOES TO:
MULE DEER

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
reelhook,

Everybody forgets the Mule and Blacktailed deer. Most likely due to the fact that the range of the Whitetail deer covers more country. In fact the Whitetail is spreading westward. Makes me wonder if I live long enough will I ever see the Whitetail looking out over the Pacific Ocean? What kind of hybrids would nature come up with crossing breeding the three? I hope this never happens as I love the Mule and Blacktailed deer. Lawdog

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
I really enjoy moose hunting, but there's an element of sustained excitement in deer hunting that I haven't matched with anything else I hunt.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I too threw my hat into the black bear ring. 8) (See handle)
They are smarter than most give credit for and will bust you everytime if you give them the opportunity. I love to spot and stalk blackies and enjoy calling them in as well. If you want excitement, call one in to about 20 feet or so and see if you can stand
it! :eek:

"Don't hunt them over a stinking pile of bait"
Lawdog,
I also enjoy the rush of accomplishment that comes with baiting. BTW, I never have a "stinking pile!" Mine is always "sweet smelling!" :)

best,
bhtr

·
Registered
36 Posts
:eek: If I had to pick, I'd be whitetails...........gotta fill my freezer every season.............don't have all that other stuff around here. :lol:

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
bearhuntr,

Lawdog,
I also enjoy the rush of accomplishment that comes with baiting. BTW, I never have a "stinking pile!" Mine is always "sweet smelling!"
You Must have come up with a new recipe for bear bait then. You better patent it, make you some money that way. :lol: Lawdog

·
Registered
93 Posts
Lawdog,
Sorry it took so long to see your post. Here's another quote...
"the station... it doth smell like Momma's pancakes do!" :)
best,
bhtr

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
bearhuntr,

Do you hunt on the ground or from a treestand when using bait? Got a thing about heights myself so that's why I use the spot and stalk method of hunting. Also it puts you on more of an equal footing. Lawdog

·
Registered
93 Posts
lawdog,
I do both. Where I'm at things can get real exciting real fast. I have walked in to more than one brown bear at the bait during the middle of the day to not feel at ease all of the time! I appreciate your sentiment and comment. I prefer the ground to the stand; however, the lay of the land and the set up area dictates which it will be. We here have a single, 1 mile square area to set up on and getting the same square is not easy at all as it's first come first served. I enjoy a new spot each year and will not take the same one two years in a row (if I can help it) as just figuring out the setup is a large part of the hunt's enjoyment for me. Being in close quarters with any bear is awesome! I can honestly say that once a fellow is close enough to spit on a bear of any color or size and is eyeball to eyeball with it, he will either never hunt them again or be hooked for life. Color me hooked for life! :grin:
best,
bhtr

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
bearhuntr,

Color me the same color as you. I killed my first bear, a black, at the age of 13. It so scared and excited me at the same time that I've been hooked ever since. Every type of bear excites me whether it's a Black Bears(no matter what state), Brown Bears(in Alaska and Canada), Polar Bears(in Canada) or the Mountain Grizzly(in Montana). After 40 years they still excite me, makes the hair stand up every time I see one. If that feeling ever goes away I'll most likely quit hunting them. Lawdog

·
Registered
104 Posts
:) I would have to pick moose. I love the country you find them in. I love the cunning they display at times, while being stalked. I like the look of them, goofy, majestic, and purposeful all at the same time. :shock:

Most of all I love to eat them!! And you get a whack of great meat from even a young bull!

I have had some hides tanned, and they are great for mocossins, gun cases, vests, pants. It's thick and strong, and you get many sq. ft per animal.

If there was the only one game animal I could hunt, than moose it would be!

1 - 20 of 88 Posts