Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Finnbear with a heavy barrel. I got loads with the gun 50grain Speers with 23.5 grains of 4064, the gun and I shot an inch at 100 yards. I'm curious as to what works for the rest of you guys that load for this round.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Whats a Good Load Combination for a .222Rem

19.5 gr of IMR 4198. 50 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip is the best but any 50 gr bullet will do. I have never seen this load shoot over an inch in any gun I've tried it in, and I've seen it shoot under a half an inch. 8)

·
Registered
151 Posts

IMR 4198 is the ol' standby to go to for the .222 Rem. I use either 50 grain Nosler b/t's or Sierra Blitz Kings. I've found that to get the same poi as the blitzkings I have to load the b/t's about .2 grains more, from 19.6 to 19.8. 8)

·
Registered
50 Posts

had a varmint special that had been shot probably too many times but would still shoot under a half inch on a regular basis with h322 and sierra # 1400 bullets.

·
Registered
12 Posts

While 4198 works great in the 222, I find it hard to meter thru my powder measure.

I have switched to H322 or BL-C(2) because they meter so nicely. I use 23 grains of either with Sierra 50 TNT bullets and Rem 6 1/2 primers.

Both loads shoot better than I can hold my Sako. 1/2 in to 3/4 in groups all day!

·
Registered
4,338 Posts

50 gr Remington core lokt HP over 24.5 grs BLC-2 and CCI BR4 Bench rest primers. Shoots under an inch from my Contender Carbine, and my buddy's Ruger #1 as well. Good load.

Scott.

·
Registered
75 Posts
222 load

The 222 load I liked was 52gr sierra match HPBT over imr 4198 20 gr. Great accuracy and effective on chucks way out there. I wore that poor gun out. Miss it as lot Now I have a 22 250 win varminter but the only thing it does is use more powder to do the same thing at higher velocity. Regards, stv

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Loads for the.222 Remington

Thanks for all the feedback, I am anxious to test some new loads. The .222 has a long neck on its case and I wonder if bullets longer than the 50 grainers would stabilize properly with a 1 in 14 twist or if I should stay with 50 grains and under for this rifle. I tried some Black Hills 70 grain ammo in my Kimber .223 and the bullets were tumbling at 100 yards. The Kimber and Sako have the same twist and I wonder what is the optimum bullet weight for use in both rifles. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.