shows what i know.
i thought they were either .223 or .308

if you were wanting a .357 and felt it was
a decent price you'll probably want to get it

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
TRWalker said:
I'm looking at a .357 Magnum NEF Survivor rifle in a local gun shop in like new condition. It's a blued one with no sights.The asking price is $299. What do you think?

IMHO, as a NEW gun right in line. As a used too much!

BUT if I really wanted it, I might pay that. Its high but not crazy. In the end, its your $$, if its worth it to you, and you can afford it, thats all that matters. Lord knows most all of us have paid more than we should for something we really wanted, a time or two. ::)

CW

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies. If I buy it, I plan to replace the stocks with a set of Buffalo Classics that I own, then put an extra 12GA shotgun barrel on the Survivor stocks. The 12 Ga barrel would be cut to 19 inches. That is, if I can buy it and if everything fits OK.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
You need to be sure it's either a new rifle or factory fitted. Check the # on the barrel lug, should match the receiver. I don't ever remember seeing a 357 in a survivor package. Talo yes, survivor no. It could be a reg 357 someone changed the stocks on? Could be a new rifle, but it would be a new one on me. :) Could be a nicely fitted 357 barrel, but I would make sure it is a rifle receiver with the small firing pin hole. Can be a SB1 or 2, I would want it to have the small hole.

If it's hand fitted I would have a hard time paying $300.

·
Super Moderator
51,500 Posts
The NEF Survivor 357 Mag was made 1994-99 as well as the 45-410 and 223 which were made later too along with the 308Win, the 45-410 in nickel and blue models. ;)

Tim

·
Registered
226 Posts
If want it....buy it...less and less being made available.

·
Super Moderator
51,500 Posts
hosscat said:
Tim,

What is the source of you encyclopedic knowledge, of all things Handi? Were / are you the company historian? You amaze me.

Hoss
Thanks, but nothing amazing from me, in this case Goforth's book(see the Misc Forum sticky) and the H&R website/catalogs, I also have an anonymous friend who is privy to much information who shares what he can, he's the amazing one, his input has been priceless.

Tim

·
Registered
600 Posts
Vash said:
I paid $275.00 with shipping on a 1996 .357 mag survivor in nickel. With sights and scope rail.[/img]
Vash, and others, quoting the price you paid means nothing if you don't specify when.

I bought a Topper 088 new for $60. A 20 Ga youth model.

That was in 1974. If I don't specify when I bought it, it sounds like I stole it.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
ulav8r said:
Vash said:
I paid $275.00 with shipping on a 1996 .357 mag survivor in nickel. With sights and scope rail.
Vash, and others, quoting the price you paid means nothing if you don't specify when.

I bought a Topper 088 new for $60. A 20 Ga youth model.

That was in 1974. If I don't specify when I bought it, it sounds like I stole it.
Less than six months ago. I have been trying to buy or build one a month this year.

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
In today's market, that's a smoking deal. If I came across that, I'd snatch it up. Already have 2, but with 3 kids, I'm short one Maxie. Chop the barrel , add a Tamer stock, 2 power leupold. You have the perfect, youth, tree stand gun.

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
I'd darn sure be interested if you are having reservations. I have two maxis, and I need one more. PM me the info of store etc if you choose not to move forward.

·
Registered
226 Posts
stewmagoo said:
I'd darn sure be interested if you are having reservations. I have two maxis, and I need one more. PM me the info of store etc if you choose not to move forward.
Ditto....that's was where I was going with this.....
Last shows I attended....there were No Handi rifles at all.....for any price.....a few Toppers.[email protected] buck (?) and the guy said when asked about the price.....They are getting rare, they don't make them any more.

I think If I came across most any Handi at $300 or below....I'd take it home.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts