Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what type of gun do you like for squirrels??? me i like .22 the best loaded with hollowpoint ccI mini-mags favorite squirell gun is a marlin model 60 and a ruger 10-22

·
Registered
79 Posts
Favorite...hmm...

Well, here's what I've used in the past...

Shotguns: Mossberg Model 500 in 20 guage, SxS double barrel .410
Rifles: Ruger 10/22 with 4x Redfield scope, Old Remington Pump .22, Winchester Lever .22, and a crossman 1377 pellet pistol.

Now, if I'm in an area where I'd prefer a shotgun, the .410 wins. It's got full chokes and carries just ever so sweetly. Plus, it was my grandfather's who has since passed away, so that makes it even sweeter.

If I'm heading somewhere where I want a rifle, I love to take that Winchester Lever action. It's got a little more heft (weight) to it that makes it balance just right. Problem is, it's not mine. It's my Aunt's and gets used at her house to keep the grey sqirrels out of the bird feeder. I'm free to borrow it anytime though, and lately I've been taking it out on loan for most of winter break. This rifle carries nicely, shoulders nicely, and shoots nicely.

The old Remington pump (not sure of model) is also a sweet little rifle to carry, even better than the Winchester. That's because it's so tiny, I can wrap my whole hand around the reciever. It's accurate too, but I shoot the Winchester better because of it's heavier.

One thing I have to say, is that I prefer to carry my rifles/shotguns. I like something that you can cradle in your arm or carry in your hand, not something you have to sling over your shoulder. Plus, I've developed a fondness for some of the older stuff, cause generally it had better contours. That's one of the reasons I don't like the Ruger 10/22; it has a square-ish stock and just doesn't carry as comfortable or feel as good in my hands. The other reason I don't care for it, is because it's scoped. Nothing wrong with scopes mind you, but my eyesight's good enough that I don't need them and they make carrying the rifle less comfortable. Both the Winchester and Remington have very fine sights with a fine brass bead front sight. I LOVE those brass bead front sights. And these are tiny on both guns, allowing for some precise shooting.

One other firearm that I have shot, but never taken a squirrel with is my buddy's game gun. It's a break action .22 over .410 that was his fathers when he was a kid. It balances nicely, carries nicely, and is a tack driver. I'd love to have it and if I did, it might just rank as my favorite. Only reason I've never shot a squirrel with it is my buddy won't give it up, even for a moment while he's in the woods. Can't say as I blame him though.

One interesting note for some, is that this coming squirrel season I'll be trying out some new firearms. One is a Ruger Super Single Six and the other is a S&W K-22 Masterpiece (also belonged to my grandfather). I live in NYS and my pistol permit was issued just last week. I also plan to start bowhunting squirrels sometime in the future.

So, what was your question? Oh yeah, my favorite...

If I had to choose, I'd say it was that lever action Winchester, with a very close second going to the Remington.

As for ammunition, I shoot the cheapest bricks of .22 I can buy. Usually Federal or Remington. I also do all of my squirrel shooting off hand, and can't say that the extra cost of CCI mini-mags is justified for me. However, I will say that I did buy 50 of them once, just for the plastic case they come in. It makes a handy dispenser of ammo and you can drop out exactly how many you need at one time.

For shotgun ammo, I only have to say...High brass, baby. High brass. :wink:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used to live in NYS also

in a small town called carthage squirrel hunting was awesom as well as fox also. i also lie the older firearms as they appeal to me for the same reasons you talk about. i have also bowhuntd and i am not gonna tell you the hit to miss ratio but it was pretty humbling and the K-22 is a fine weapon try some of those new velocitors ot of it you will be impressed they shoot great in my guns and cci makes them they have the speer gold dot hollow point in them they are super wicked

·
Registered
364 Posts
Up until this past season my favorite squirrel getter was a 14 inch 22lr match Contender from Fox Ridge Custom. Just last summer I did three rimfire squirrel projects, a CZ 452, a 10/22 custom, and a Savage 93 .17HMR. Of all these the HMR calls to me every time I go into my gun room. It killed more than half of my season limit of squirrels here in NC (42 I think of the 70) with a hand full being 100yard shots. BTY don't like those long shots on squirrel, just seems to be an up close kind of hunting to me, but I really wanted to see what the HMR could do. IT WILL HUNT!!!! :) :grin: :-D :D

·
Registered
489 Posts
10/22 is my bag filler. 410 bolt action (don't know the model) that my uncle lent me used to be my fav. it would smack a tree rat at 45 yards with ease.
cheers,
willis5

·
Registered
17 Posts
A Marlin bolt-action .22 with a 3x8 Bushnell scope.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I like to keep the sport in it so I also us a .22 . It is just a cheap westernfeild bolt action with a bushnell scope my dad traded a fishing pole for . He gave me the gun when I was13 and still use it to this day .

·
Registered
40 Posts
Kimber of Oregon Model 82 with a Leupold 2.5-8X32. Last month I came across a deal and bought a Kimber SVT and a Ruger K77/17VMBBZ. I topped them both with Leupold 4.5-14X50 scopes. I get real serious about squirrel hunting.

I like the Velocitors in the Kimber 82 and using a rangerfinder and the with Velocitors I have made several 80+ yard shots. I hope to stretch that out with the 17HMR this fall. Did I mention I get serious about squirrel hunting.

I am also working on a modified ghillie suit. It will incorporate a bugnet under the suit. So far it isn't working, it's too heavy. I live on the MS Gulf Coast so 70-80 degree December days are not unusual. It needs to be light enough for the early season and that is causing the problem. By the time I start adding bulk to break up my outline it is almost too hot to wear.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have to go with my Marlin over-under 22/20 ga. I like open sites, if I miss with the 22 cal I'll get them skipping through the trees with the 20 ga.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My favorite squirrel gun is also my least expensive! I love using my Marlin .22MN with a 4X scope. Yes, it's a magnum, but with solid points (cci maximags) it's great for squirrels. I find that these bullets do little more damage than .22lr hollow points. Plus, with the flatter trajectory, I can take shots out to 100 yrds with full confidence! Long range shooting adds a new element of challenge to the game. Also, for challenge, I occasionally use an old Winchester model 67 with iron sites. This means when I locate a squirrel, I have to put my stalking skills to the test.

It's only May now but I can't wait for October to roll around!

Happy hunting.

Texas Squirrel Hunter :gulp:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Another vote for the .22 WMR. I use Federal 50 grainers in an NEF Sportster. Velocity is around 1500 fps and it kills very nicely with body shots without wrecking a lot of meat.

As good or better is my ancient Savage 23 in .25-20 WCF with cast 65 grainers also at about 1500 fps. Unfortunately, .25-20 rifles are mighty hard to come by.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ruger Super Single Six 6.5inch barrel with .22 magnum cylinder installed and CCI 22mag hollowpoints. I get a little more pep out of this gun than folks do with a rifle shooting 22lr. I carry the iron sighted revolver in an old Bianchi Flap Holster. I needed a challenge after many years with an old Marlin 22 rifle, and boy did I get it. This has to be my most enjoyable hunting experience in the early season. It also allows me to scout for deer while having a blast in the woods. If you've never tried handgun hunting for squirrels, you can't imagine what kind of fun you are missing out on!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Shotguns: Savage 20g fox model B double or Mossberg 12g 500
Rifles: Marlin M25 22LR with 4x Bushnell, Daisy Legacy with a 4x Bushnell

The Savage was my grandpaps shotgun. The Legacy was my first gun. Its a unique little rifle, with an adjustable buttstock, interchangeable smoothbore and rifled barrels, and a 10rd rotary mag just different enough from the rugers to not be interchangeable.

This year I plan on trying my Ruger 22/45 with a 5.5" Bull Barrel and a red dot sight. I can consistently hit empty 7.62x39s from about 35 yrds away.
My dad has a Marlin in 17 HMR that I might try this year as well.

·
Registered
296 Posts
favorite bushytail gun

Hawken pistol in .50 cal loaded with a 177grain patched round ball in front of 35 grns. of fffg :-D . Aim for the head :eek: .

·
Registered
684 Posts
Up until this year I used my Kimber 82 with a Leupold 2X7RF. BUT......just bought a CZ in 17 HMR and put a Buris 3X9 on it and think I might be using it a lot more.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Easy question, my favorite squirrel gun of all time would have to be my 20g ithica fetherlight

·
Registered
646 Posts
I can't imagine using anything but a .22 rifle and long-rifle hollow-points for squirrels.

My long-time "squirrel medicine" is my Ruger 10/22 semi-auto .22 caliber rimfire rifle, serial #9XX. That's right, one of the first thousand 10/22's made.

I tested at least 15 different kind of ammo in the little Ruger on which I've installed a Bushnell 3x-9x by 40mm scope... and found out it likes Federal high-velocity long rifle hollow-points.

With the above combination, no squirrel within 50 yards is safe.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

1 - 20 of 237 Posts