Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Either in a hand load or a factory load, what is your favorite, most trusted deer bullet? I have used a bunch, haven't been a fan of gamekings, I like to have a exit hole and at the ranges I shoot you don't usually get one. That said I think the good ol Remington core lokt is hard to beat. What's one you love or one you hate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
My favorite in the Nosler Partition...

Why? Because I use one load in each of my rifles for EVERYTHING and NP's do it all! They expand well in smaller animals, yet they stop expanding at the partition, driving in deep, or go on through bigger animals...

That's EXACTLY what I want my bullets to do, so it's about perfect in my book. I pretty much use them for everything.

DM

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts
Drilling said:

Why? Because I use one load in each of my rifles for EVERYTHING and NP's do it all! They expand well in smaller animals, yet they stop expanding at the partition, driving in deep, or go on through bigger animals...

That's EXACTLY what I want my bullets to do, so it's about perfect in my book. I pretty much use them for everything.

DM
What DM said! ;D Interesting to note the Partition was the first bullet to come to mind when I was considering elk bullets for my Whelen recently.

'course that was back in the day... :-\ Nowadays, since I'm kinda limited to deer hunting for what remains of my life, I generally use Remington Core-Lokts in all my rifles unless I'm shooting up old stock.

·
Super Moderator
11,138 Posts
AtlLaw said:
Drilling said:

DM
What DM said! ;D Interesting to note the Partition was the first bullet to come to mind when I was considering elk bullets for my Whelen recently.

'course that was back in the day... :-\ Nowadays, since I'm kinda limited to deer hunting for what remains of my life, I generally use Remington Core-Lokts in all my rifles unless I'm shooting up old stock.
+4...

...and Richard, Moose-limbs may be 'Target Rich Environment' of the near-future, so your Rem Core-Lokt outfitted deer rifle, while fun in the woods, may not be the one that needs to be cleaned and ready.

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts
;D ;D ;D

Well, I ain't saying nuthin' 'bout that, :-\

But my biggest fear nowadays is of dying alone, old and infirmed, in bed... ;)

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
Barnes Tipped TSX has been a good bullet for me. I have nothing against a Nosler Partition though.

The boatail does it for me. It may be just in my head though. :-\

Attachments

·
Registered
991 Posts
For deer sized game I like the Sierra Boattail...Great Bullet, Flat Shooting, Stable, Very Effective.

For elk, give me a Nosler Partition every time. Solid Quality, has never failed me.

·
Super Moderator
11,138 Posts
AtlLaw said:
But my biggest fear nowadays is of dying alone, old and infirmed, in bed... ;)
My boss' Dad got Dementia (is that right? 'got' dementia? 'caught' dimentia? those sound so rural...maybe 'was diagnosed with dementia'? went nuts? awe ****...let it go). My boss reports that one night in his 80's, his Dad awoke, stood up in the bed and declared "They're coming! Where's my ladder and my gun? I'm headed to the roof to hold them off." From a long life as a hunter, gun purchaser, jacketed and cast ammo reloader, bullet caster, shot gun shooter and shot shell reloading fanatic, his wife locked up his guns and hid all of his supplies. He took pride in his achievements when he was vibrant and full of life and participated in regular 30-06 Springfield Garand Competitions. Unfortunately, the man died without converting his treasurers into gold. His example is a testament to all of us. We cannot take this stuff with us when we go.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Right you are Landowner.. I will soon be having a "dispersal party" with my grandkids. I have 4 altogether, and each will get some of my guns. I will keep 3 or 4 for use as long as I can shoot, and even those will be pre-assigned. My reloading stuff will likely be split between the two who already reload. I may have several years yet, but nothing beats being prepared.

·
Registered
672 Posts
My favorite deer killin' bullets:

243 : 95 grain SST by Hornady
30-30 : 170 Power Point by Winchester
35 Remington : 200 grain Remington core-lokt
44 MAG : 225 grain Leverevolution by Hornady
50 caliber muzzle-loader : 245 grain Power Belt by CVA
12 gauge slug gun : Hornady sabots

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I like core lokt and power points. They perform well on deer. Currently, I am shooting game kings in my 308. They shoot well, but I didn't see a lot of tissue damage on the last deer I killed. I shot them in my 270 years ago and saw massive tissue damage.

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
For yrs i used the 160 grain partition in my 7 mag. Switched over to 139 grain sst in my 7mm08. The las 6 yrs or so most of my deer hunting is in shotgun zone. So 180 xtp out of my max is my go to bullet.
They all take a back seat to a 100 grain muzzy out of my bow.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
.530 pure lead round ball. 8)

·
Registered
991 Posts
Cuts said:
.530 pure lead round ball. 8)
Sign of a true hunter...smokepoles are too much fun.

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
For the woods, I like heavy for caliber Round nose soft points. My go to is the Rem Corelok (deadliest mushroom in the woods) 180 grain 308Win.
For Long range deer I use the Federal 165 grain Soft point Boat tails in 308 Win.
While I have used the Nosler partition and have some. I think they are good bullets, but only if you want to use a caliber that is not normally a DEER round. I have them in 223 and think they would make a good deer round for my little CZ 527. Have not used them yet. The same with my 308 I think they would work well for Moose or Elk if I did not have my 338 Win mag or 375H&H.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use Hornaday Superformance SST150 grain in my .30-06 and they have never let me down.

In my .243 I use Remington Core-lokt 100 grain.

Tried the Core-lokt in my .30-06 and it didn't like them. Couldn't get a grouping I was comfortable with (and I'm not a perfectionist) My cousin has the exact same gun as me (we bought them at the same time) and uses Core-lokts and it's a tack driver. Taught me the lesson that just like each shooter each individual gun can have it's own preferences.

·
Registered
335 Posts
RCBS 45-405-FN from a 45/70 rifle.
Cast from 20:1 and paper-patched, weight is around 420 gr, expands beautifully, complete penetration every time.
Cast from air-cooled wheel weights, drives right through and still kills them quickly. Almost no meat loss if the shot is good.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hornady round nose, flat base 300 grain in 375 H&H (over 66.5 grains of R-15).

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.