Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got 300 or so greenbacks burning a hole in my jeans, and I want to buy a 22 pistol, Probably an autoloader. Give me your honest opinions, I was leaning towards a Walther P22. All I have ever had in rimfire was Rugers. They were good, too. :D

·
Registered
344 Posts
Here's my opinion!!!

Get the one that you feel COMFORTABLE with!

In other words, if it doesn't feel right when you hold it and point it, it just ISN'T going to shoot for you!

Guys are going to give you all kinds of reasons to get a Ruger MarkII, 22/45, S&W, Browning Buckmark, High Standard, etc, etc, etc...

But it all boils down to FIT!

I would rank most of the ones I've listed above as 'quality' handguns, but ONLY the Ruger 22/45 FIT MY HANDS! I liked the grip angle, the size, the location of the controls, etc. AND it shoots the best of any of them for me. I even had a H.S. VICTOR slabside with target sights, grips, etc, but it didn't FIT me, and I couldn't shoot it anywhere near as well as my 22/45 now! The 22/45 was worth 1/2 that VICTOR when I sold it! So cost isn't a factor.

After you decide which one, possibly you get the 22/45, then you'll have cash left over for extra magazines, a thumbsaver magazine loading helper, a holster and ammo! Without the extra mags and ammo you don't get to shoot much! :)

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
What's your favorite rimfire handgun...Let

:?

I agree with Plainsman. It all depends what feels right and what you are going to do with the pistol. Do you want to roll tin cans, shoot silhouette or punch bullseyes? Each pistol has an intended purpose in its design.

Beretta's new U22 Neo looks neat...looks like a blend of proven technology and hi-tech upgrades. Don't know what they want for these pistols...but it might be something for you to take a look at if you aren't in a hurry.

Whatever you choose, have fun and...

Be Safe! ...Chris :D

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
22 pistol

Ok, thanks guys, I'm heading out today, I will keep you posted.! :D [/color]

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
22 pistol

Well, I got a Browning Buckmark, and it is a good fit! I got the 4" heavy barrel with the slab sides, black rubber grips, adjustable sights, and an extra mag all for under three bills, I'm happy. I will have to go back in two days to pick it up. Thanks again for te input!![/color] :D :D

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts

S&W K frames, I prefer a 6" tube, doesn't matter to me if they are carbon or stainless. My 617, hated that damn underlug so, went down in the shop with a file, hacksaw and emory paper and took it off. As you can see I like the four inchers also and I'm into S&Ws very much.

617:

Model 17-4:
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/18410k22-2.jpg

Model 63:

Model 18-3:

[img]

Model K22 Outdoosman(circa 1931):

[img]

·
Premium Member
462 Posts

JeffG:

All I've ever shot are Rugers and Contenders...but I'm getting the bug to take the Buckmark plunge. Own a BAR, auto shotguns in 20 & 12Ga....can't figure out why I don't have a Buckmark yet.

Father's Day coming up...Hmmmm! :-D

Be Safe! ...Chris :D

·
Registered
169 Posts

Colt Match Target Woodsman, 6" 2nd generation. Bought it in 1952 and have kept it all these years see no need to change now. Have no idea how many rounds have put thru it. Both my kids learned to shoot with it and a handful of neices and nephews, and its still going strong.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts

Welcome aboard TravisM. :D

Chime in anytime...opinions are what we're looking for!

...Chris

P.S. I like my Rugers too...they're 8)

·
Registered
220 Posts

I am split, for auto's I like my Sig Trailside with red dot sight. for hunting, I really like my 6" S&W 617.

·
Registered
855 Posts

I love my Hi Standard Supermatic! My P22 Walther is also a great little autoloader. For revolver buffs, I love my 1946 vintage K22 S&W! Probably the best .22 revolver I've ever shot!

·
Registered
667 Posts

My favorite target rimfire is a Ruger Mark II, SS gov modle slab side with Millet Red dot sight. Shoots 1-2 inch groups at 50 ft. if I do my part and lay off coffee. I am still new to target shooting (almost a year) and am learning the skill by observation as well as practice.

I also use a P-22 for fun and as a trap gun.

Fred :D

·
Registered
100 Posts

If you've ever considered a revolver, I like the Stainless Super Single Six 6.5 barrel, which shoots 22lr, 22shorts, 22longs, and 22mag, depending on which cylinder you have installed.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts

Wildman,
I disagree with your advice of a dual caliber handgun. The .22LR and .22Mag use a different diameter bore. Causing (in every case, if not all cases) a problem with accuracy.

·
Registered
100 Posts

I use the cheap 22lr ammo for plinking at larger objects - aluminum cans, spinner targets, etc. Switch to the 22mag cylinder for hunting - shoots 3/4 inch groups consistently at 25yds, using Winchester gray box ammo from WalMart, which is plenty accurate enought to shoot minute of squirrel head all day long.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts