Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size groups are you getting with your in-line muzzleloader at 100, 150 and 200 yards?

Thank you, Bowhunter57[/color]

·
Registered
650 Posts
At 100 yds, it's holes touching to slightly over an inch....average is probably just under an inch.

At 200 yds, it's around 2 inches.

At 300 yds, 3-3.5 inches

At 400 yds, 4-5 inches, mostly horizontal spread since the wind is a big factor out there and I typically have some amount of crosswind on my range. I had a target I was going to scan and post from this range but I'm too lazy :D

This is with an Omega that I installed aluminum pillars, resin bedded, and floated the barrel. Factory accuracy was in the 1.5 MOA range and varied a bit depending upon how tight the action screws were.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I shoot the Savage. With the 250 XTP I get 1 1/2 inch groups at 100, and 3 inch groups at 200. This is the cheapo Savage, blued with Tupperware stock. I have made no modifications to the rifle.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AndyHass,
That is outstanding accuracy! I hope to attain the same with the one that I intend to purchase.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57[/color]

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have no idea, i can hit a playing card at 50 yds. with my Blk. Dia. My longest shot would be only 45 yds. out of my ladder stand.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Well, I just dropped 3 does at 180, 209, and 338 yards. The 338 yard shot got a few more inches of wind drift than I planned but was still in the vitals and they all went nowhere but straight down....a bipod is a must...

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
I can easily get a 1-1/2 group at 150 yards, which is the farthest I have shot my 205x50 Encore. I found that I get a LOT better accuracy with less than full "magnum" load. With 150 grains of RS and a 240 grain .430 bullet in a Sabot my groups were over 5" at 100 yards but when I dropped to 120 grains of RS they tightened up as stated above. At least with my gun, more ain't better.

alan

·
Registered
311 Posts
Three 50gr. Pyrodex pellets,250gr. S/W with the supplied sabot,Fed 209A primer. 100yds. 1 inch or less,250yds 3 inches! Plenty accurate for deer hunting! Ron

·
Registered
541 Posts
Andy outstanding brother...

we brole the 600 yard mark ...

the vp of ultimate.
dropped on at 605yds......

275 extreme bullet and 3 pellets of t7magnum

·
Registered
97 Posts
Andy,

That is quite impressive.

I shoot a relatively cheap CVA Magbolt 50 and have several loads that group right at 1" at 100 and under 4" at 200. I don't normally shoot at 150 due to the range not having a target position for that range. The range also doesn't have anything past 200. The best 200 yard group I've shot is about 2.5". Not to bad for a basically stock CVA with a low cost 3x9 scope. One of these days I want to try it out at longer ranges if I can find a place to shoot that far.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How many of you guys have bedded and floated your barrels on an inline? I have done this on a Remington model 700 .270, but never on my inlines. Just wondering what difference it would make.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Jeff_S said:
How many of you guys have bedded and floated your barrels on an inline? I have done this on a Remington model 700 .270, but never on my inlines. Just wondering what difference it would make.
Jeff, I installed aluminum pillars on this Omega, bedded and floated. It was accurate before, but the zero shifted depending on the tightness of the action screws. This fixed it completely. I did not shoot it over 200 yds prior to bedding it so I cannot definitively say how much it helped overall accuracy. The 25 ACP conversion seems to have helped some too.

dmurphy, that is good shooting for a stock CVA and that scope. My scope is a cheap tactical Barska but I have a $100 Harris bipod on the gun and it's the most expensive Omega verison with the above customization... it takes work.

DEPUTY, do I read that right you only had 150gr 777 under the 275gr Extreme (is that a Precision Rifle bullet or what is the source?) I thought you usually stoked them Ultimates up to around 200gr?

I am interested to shoot targets out past 400yds, but with this setup I think 400yds is the max distance I would consider hunting under any conditions. I had good penetration at 338 but I don't expect it to last much past 400 and the wind just gets ridiculous out there. A 400yd shot with my ML is roughly equivalent to a 1000yd shot with a 300WinMag in terms of drop and drift. If I ever put together a smokeless setup on a Rem700 action I would consider further if the wind drift was no worse.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts