Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went around my friends, and my woods putting back up the ripped down no trespass signs.... as it's deer hunting season and we get a lot of "out of towners'".

Used the chainsaw on three stands, ....called to have five trucks towed, ...and generally didn't make many friends today....except... there was this one gentleman just pulling up as the tow-truck..DNR..Cops were there...

This fellow was looking for me, and was wanting to ask permission to bow-hunt.
(Someone in town told him that if asked...I would probably help him with a prime spot, and written permission.)

He hollered out his window if he could get permission to hunt, in front of four people talking to the DNR, and the cops.
(Boy these fellows didn't have any sense of humor at all when I hollered back. "all ya' got to do is ask!")

The fellow's name was George, and he "needed no help getting out of his truck and into his wheelchair!"

We talked for a bit on where the trails were fairly rubble free for his chair travel, best trees for a stand,and such.
Then he shows me his bow, a normal Browning brand with some things on it that I didn't recognize.

You hold it horizontally, but he said it is not a crossbow so it's legal in every state.
(Talk about a field of view!)

It has a Horizon conversion hooked up to his stock 70lb. pull Browning compound.

It seems you get a wood hand-grip, and an arrow rest/sight system that will NOT let the broad head fall back toward your hand.

He let me shoot it with a target arrow, it was a little awkward but nothing I could not adapt myself to!
(You hold the bow like you are motioning someone to stop...hand open, fingers up.)

George told me that it was a present from his wife, and he was practicing for months and now just needed a place to bloody it.

He said that the conversion is endorsed by the PCBA...Physically Challenged Bow-hunters of America.

This old gent can hit a water bottle at 40 yards every time, from his wheelchair... using a standard three pin sight!

I am now putting knots, (two foot apart) in a hay rope so George can hand-over-hand into the tree-stand that him, and I built today for his upcoming hunt.

The rope will have a canvas bag for his bow and things at the end, so he can pull everything up after him.

George is quite independent, (as are all that I have come to know,... a few challenged hunter/fishermen in my life.) and he is a polite gentleman that I am glad to have met, and be able to help reach his dream.

I will be waiting on the cellphone call that will alert me to his need for help, dragging his trophy to the truck...we at least agreed on that much help.

So if you are in a wheelchair and want to hunt with a compound bow, may I suggest you check out the Horizon bow conversion.

I am in no way selling/promoting anything...(They don't even sell anything of it's kind around here!) so just maybe ....call it a hands on test, and witness to something that may help others to reach an attainable goal!

Sorry this was so long winded,.... but my day started out with the same old trespassing hunters/chased off/grumpy day, to an afternoon meeting of a fine gentleman hunter, that just happens to have no legs, but a reachable dream with a little help from his new friend,....ME.

·
Registered
32 Posts
THAT IS AWESOME

I AM DISABLED AND ALSO LOVE TO HUNT AND IT SURE DOES FEEL GOOD TO KNOW THAT SOME PEOPLE SUCH AS YOUR SELF WOULD HELP A FELLA ENJOY HIS PASTIME BY FIRST LETTING HIM HUNT AND THEN MAKING IT SO HE CAN HUNT A LITTLE EASIER WITH THAT ROPE AND ALL!!!

THANK YOU FOR MAKING ME SMILE SIR BY HELPING ANOTHER

1 - 3 of 3 Posts