Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 51 and grew up during the time when it became OK for couples to get divorces. My understanding is that marriages used to be more permanent, or at least there was some stigma against divorce. Today it seems like I'm in the minority of people who are raising kids with both parents at home, married, and intimately involved in child rearing.

What was it like for people growing up in the 50s? What caused it to be OK for marriages to dissolve so easily? Do you think it's better this way? Or was it better the other way?

·
Administrator
26,228 Posts
No I don't think it's better.

I think what brought it on is both husband and wife working rather than the wife staying home taking care of the kids, TV/movies and the lack of values they bring into the home, drugs and the drug culture. It's all had a negative effect on morals and led to a lack of commitment to stay together when times get tough. Today "until death do us part" really means until I get tired of you and decide to go my separate way.

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
The country wanted a more mobile society to fill all the employment nitches. Laws were made more liberal to allow easier dissolution of unions. It serves the "good of the nation". Corporations expect a person to be mobile to meet the companys needs. Family doesn't mean much to an entity with the soul and compassion of a great white shark. eddiegjr

·
Premium Member
7,981 Posts
no need to stay together any more

split up .......the family is intitled to more government hand outs

this is good for government and encoraged by government

because split up familied are more depentent on government

all one has to do is look at what government has done to many black families

i do not mean to sound racist as it does happen in all of america
and i see this as a form of an enabler........like bailing out a drunk family member
let them fall down

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Questor said:
I'm 51 and grew up during the time when it became OK for couples to get divorces. My understanding is that marriages used to be more permanent, or at least there was some stigma against divorce. Today it seems like I'm in the minority of people who are raising kids with both parents at home, married, and intimately involved in child rearing.

What was it like for people growing up in the 50s? What caused it to be OK for marriages to dissolve so easily? Do you think it's better this way? Or was it better the other way?
The cause is man's sinful nature. And its been growing worse ever since Eve gave Adam the forbidden fruit.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Plain and simple folks began to have it way too easy. There was a time when once married you became a team and had to work together to make ends meet. In today's society of "I deserve it because I want it" most figure they have no need for teamwork. If you don't like something or just plain get tired of it, toss it and move on.

I'm 55 and been married to the same woman for 37 years. I know what it takes to live right. Besides when we got married we took a vow to stay that way until death and her aim ain't worth spit.

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Agree with the "both working and dilution of family values"

I turned 60 a week ago. When I was 6, Mom and Dad were seperated, though we kids never knew for nearly 30 years. They both consulted lawyers and were told the same thing. They didn't have grounds for divorce. They could create grounds by being adulterous, but no grounds presently existed. Not wanting to be adulterous, they reconciled, got baptized and rejoined the Christian community.

Sometime after that, the institution of "irreconcilable differences" was born and the time of "fragile marriages" began. I've been through two divorces and was the cause of one and the result of the other. Not fun, but both would not have happend in the 50's...

Seems like when God was taken out of the school, He was removed from a lot of households, also.

Regards,
Sweetwater

·
Premium Member
7,981 Posts
i was and am the alpha person in my family

i would have made things work out but she was free to leave

when i was introduced to laweres and judges who thought they were the alpha male

then there was a war and i had to espablish my position

I DID,,,,,,,,but at a big loss to all

LAWERES AND JUDGE DON'T KNOW THE HARM THEY CAUSE

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
45-70.gov said:
i was and am the alpha person in my family

i would have made things work out but she was free to leave

when i was introduced to laweres and judges who thought they were the alpha male

then there was a war and i had to espablish my position

I DID,,,,,,,,but at a big loss to all

LAWERES AND JUDGE DON'T KNOW THE HARM THEY CAUSE

RIGHT ON!!! and Amen!!

Regards,
Sweetwater

·
Registered
723 Posts
At 74, I've seen a lot. In all cases of divorce, it's the kids that loose when adults screw up.
GB hit the nail on the head. I noticed that when both parents had to work, the family unit suffered.
Years ago it was a matter of pride and responsibility to stay in a marriage through thick and thin. Both sets of my grandparents never had problems with "affairs" to deal with and just keeping it all together providing food shelter and love, made them strong. Learing to live with what you need is also the key.
Jumping the fence with the neighbor's wife is not worth the destruction it often brings to both families.
God, I woulda made a fair preacher, don't ya think?

The Hermit

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
the 60s' with make love not war..love the one your with (that nite) flower power drugs and lets not forget womens liberation and the push to get them out of the home and into the work place.

all of it played a big role in the deteriation of the family structure. I do believe that there are many reasons for a divorce and all are legit. it just should not be treated as if your are going to the store to echange a bad gallon of milk.

in all divorces the children are the ones that suffer because in their minds niether mom or dad oare bad and they could do no wrong. so they have a hard time getting a grasp of it.

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
The year I married 12 of my fellow Marines also got married; today my wife and I are still together, and all the rest are divorced. Now that I'm a Chaplain I spend the majority of my time trying to help marriages stay together, or dealing with the mess when it doesn't. My folks were each married 4 times. I hate divorce.

Some reasons?
- Parents not raising men and women.
- Parents not modeling commitment.
- Pastors not preaching God's Word, and letting people off easy.

I could blame government, corporations, free love and aliens, but I think its a lot closer to the home where the change needs to happen.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
blame the courts for making it easy you used to have a cause to justify divorce besides i changed my mind, I found a younger gal (guy) someone had to do something wrong to justify it but today you just walk away. In made my wife a promise if she had and raised the kids i would take care of her as long as i was able and that was 47 yrs ago last week. I still have every intention of keeping my word.That promise was made when your word was your bond.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I don't know if women in the workplace is much of a factor. Both my parents and grandparents worked & there were no divorces involved. I think my of it has to do with an increase in self centeredness and a general feeling of entitlement prevalent in today's world. Many people feel they are the center of the universe and there is nothing greater than themselves. Vows of any sort mean nothing in today's world. It's a sorry state indeed and I have no idea how to fix it, or if it even can be.
GH1 :)

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Technology. It was often too difficult or inconvienent to arrange an affair or other deceptive measure on your spouse before cell phones, text messaging, internet, etc...... Not that it never happened before these inventions but technology sure does make it easier to prove and investigate. You can even file for divorce online!! In past times a spouse would need to be pretty wealthy to obtain the amount of evidence to justify a lengthy discovery divorce full-blown trial. But today, many needs someone looked for in an attorney or PI are no longer needed. A few hours on the internet and you save thousands upon throusands. The internet alone provides thousands of contacts, ultimately opposite sex temptations, to men and women. Not like just the folks people met on a day to day basis at the local store or place of employment in decades past. Thats my take......

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
This is a good topic, wish this would come up more often in the main stream media, because I think one of the things that contributes to our country getting torn apart is the loss of the family and family values. Lots of good replies here and I agree with all of them. Marriges go through lots of stages, seems people get lazy and don't try to keep things alive. Guilty of being lazy myself over some of the years but no more. People want something new and when that relationship reaches a certain stage, they start over again. They just don't get it and lots of them wind up alone in the end and poorer to boot. Not to mention what it does to the kids sometimes.
So if you don't have anything better to do tonight, leave your spouse a note somewhere in the house and let her know you love her more than ever.
Cause nobody else is going to put up with you for very long. ;D

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
How long does the average marriage last today in America? Six or seven years and almost half of those end within three years. “Till death do us part” might as well be changed to “Till something better comes along”. Obviously the till death do us part doesn’t mean anything to many couples
Instead of trying to strengthen our marriages, we have opted for an easier way. We simply redefine the family to fit our marital failures and out-of-wedlock births. The relentless pursuit of freedom, and abandonment of personal commitment has produced the pathetic condition of families today in America. Close nit families bind together not only individuals but society in general. Our society is a picture perfect reflection of America’s divorce rate and unhealthy families. Children are the ones hurt the most from divorce, it kind of changes their life forever. A child raised in a home with a Mother and Father has a much better chance in life then a child coming from a broken family. Broken families really fail at making human beings human. Just look at some of the product that comes from single parent homes. Not even mentioning the children with two daddies or two mommies.
I guess some people don’t see their children as God’s children. If they did they would do everything they could to raise them the way God meant them to be raised. God meant for a man and a women to be bonded together as one flesh, and this bond was to be so strong that it could only be broken by death. It’s a shame that many do not end in death, and as a result our society will continue to crumble.

My wife and I have been married 32 years. Three years ago at age 48 she had a severe brain hemorrhage due to an AVM. Up until this time she was as healthy as anyone. She came very close to dying, but the surgeons were able to save her. The result was she was left with a damaged brain and can not care for herself. She spent one year in a nursing home, (which was like **** for her and me) then I was able to get her home. She has to have someone with her all the time including while I’m at work. From the time I got a call at work saying she was rushed to the emergency room, until about a year after, was the hardest time of my life. Not so much for me, but too watch my wife suffer was the hardest, bar none. To say the least my life has changed tremendously since Sept. 25, 2006. God has blessed our lives with two wonderful sons and two beautiful grandchildren. The good that has become of this is that I still have my wife to keep me company, and I love her more than ever.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts