Graybeard Outdoors banner

When is it concealed?

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  44 Man 
#1 ·
This sounds like a dumb question, but I was wondering. Exactly what is concealed?

What brought up this question is this. If I am wearing a pair on pants with the shirt tucked in. I am wearing a 4inch barrel revolver in a hip-holster that rides very high on the hip. I put on a waist length jacket and button it up. With the jacket on there is about one or two inches of barrel showing. I can easily use my arm to hide the barrel?

Do you guys understand what I am saying? When does a pistol go from being in plain site "open carry" to "concealed?

#2 ·
You could try danciing in the street,

In NYC or LA, and see if the cops lock you up? That's really the issue, after all. I insist on a flat auto in a front pants pocket holster. I have literally worn it into the police station, where it was a felony to do so, forgot I had it "on". That's real concealment, and if the gun is loaded properly, you can have both real power and real controlability with such concealment, too.

#3 ·
Plain sight is just that, all of the gun in plain sight. Any attempt to cover the gun full or partial is considered concealed. :D

#5 ·
I agree with Redhawk1. The firearm is either totally open carry or it isn't. If you're carrying concealed keep it covered. If you're carrying open carry keep it in sight with only the holster covering the firearm.

#6 ·
As it was once explained to me and as practical experience has taught me, concealed means 'hidden from sight', as in completely hidden from sight. No part of the pistol/revolver must be seen, period. 'Printing' can lead to possible assumptions, but with all the cell-phones and other belt riding personal accsssories available today not all that many unaware folks may think it's a gun. If your license says 'concealed carry', that means you hide it from the general public.

The other, and very real, benefit to completely concelaing your handgun is that those who might think to victimize you won't know you have it until it's too late for them. Also, you do not become a victim.

There wa a post a while back about a fella who carried openly into a mall - all perfectly legal where he came from, but the boys in blue saw that he was carrying, came up behind him, disarmed him, checked him out and then made him conceal it. Now, if a couple of guys can do that think what someone else could do if they spot a weapon on you. Not completely concealing a firearm can make you a possible victim.

Hide that baby so nobody knows whatcha got. JMHO. Mikey.

#7 ·
It is interesting how different states and localities figure this. In Massachusetts, where I had my last CC permit, "Class A" the permit was to carry a firearm, open OR concealed; so it was you MAY carry concealed (or not). In other areas it's clear CC means you MUST carry it concealed. Personally, I think that's dumb. I know there's the arguments about scaring the women & children, and tipping off the bad guys that you're carrying, etc. And I understand that the boys in blue are nervous about ANYone other than themselves that's carrying; but it's their job to check if you've got a license ... that's why you've got a license. But the license (if there needs to be one) should be that you've been deemed OK and trustworthy to carry ... and otherwise folks (blue or otherwise) should just leave you alone. Also, personally I think it's nuts that some states won't let you carry, but it's OK to have a gun in your glove compartment. In Mass., even with the license, you can't leave your gun "unattended" ... which can make for an interesting decision if you need to go into the bank or 7-11. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

#8 ·
RedRyder21, I guess the best suggestion is to call your local law enforcement agency and see what the rules for your State are. :D

#9 ·
Redhawk1 is correct on my state also.In Alabama as long as it covered somewhat it is ok.I could carry my 7-1/2" SBH in my front pocket if I wanted to.Inside the truck it can be anywhere in plain sight or not,doesn't matter..................Rick

#10 ·
Concealed?

I have had my permit for 10 years and have been through two renewels. I ask this very question every time. Every instructor that I have had interprets the Texas law the same. What I have been told 3 times is concealed is concealed. That no part of a "concealed" weapon is to be in view (I even try to eliminate bulges, but thats just me).

I am sure all states are different, but this is what I have been told by 3 instructors in Texas.

#11 ·
Concealment in "Texas, by God" is concealed, no show, no printing.
Printing is the same as brandishing and is not concealed and can lead to arrest-depending upon the attitude of the Boys.
I would have to agree with Mikey though, with the variety of electronics worn in public today concealment is pretty easy.
The real concern is that if you are confronted by one of the boys and found to be lacking there will be no excuse such as "I was trying too conceal". This could lead to some expensive defense and/or loss of privilege.
Blessings

#12 ·
Thanks for all of your replies and thanks for taking me seriously. :D :grin:

I had just beeen thinking about my original question. In my part of Missouri it can be kind of cold in the winter and I don't want someone to think I am trying to conceal a handgun when I am wearing a heavy jacket.

#13 ·
In Michigan, allowing the gun to be seen, in part or in whole, is cause to lose your permit. Also 'brandishing' or 'flashing' the gun will lose you your permit. If you draw it, you damn well better need it! 44 Man

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.