Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the taste of CVA Scout V2 (45/70) and I was wanting another!

Started cruising the net for a .35 Remington and they are nowhere to be found. Many reports of excellent accuracy. Why in the world did CVA drop that chambering? :tango_face_sad: That is my favorite woods chambering for deer hunting.

I've got a Handi .35 Rem, but that Scout V2 is so sweet!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just a guess, but I would say low sales on the .35 Rem. They do make them in .35 Whelen, and I might cold be tempted by that or a .45/70 myself. I see that CVA is now offering a bolt action centerfire rifle.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I'm in the process of assembling an H&R one, just waiting on all the pieces to get here.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
I’ve got a stainless/synthetic CVA in 35 Remington, it’s a very good shooter. I highly recommend picking one up if you get the chance.
peak98

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve got a stainless/synthetic CVA in 35 Remington, it’s a very good shooter. I highly recommend picking one up if you get the chance.
peak98
That is what I had picked out and found on clearance for $246 at a store up north. By the time the next weekend had rolled around for me to venture up and get it, inventory had went to zero. They would not do a sale and pickup. :tango_face_sad:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you checked out the Traditions Outfitter G2? They are producing it in .35 Rem I see.

Thanks for the suggestion.

#1 - Don't like the barrel release (just like the CVA Hunter) location.
#2 - Over and above the Scout V2 price even before the closeout sale.

Guess I will just have to be happy with our 2 Handis until I can find someone that is willing to turn loose of their Scout V2.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion.

#1 - Don't like the barrel release (just like the CVA Hunter) location.
#2 - Over and above the Scout V2 price even before the closeout sale.

Guess I will just have to be happy with our 2 Handis until I can find someone that is willing to turn loose of their Scout V2.

I honestly didn't know Traditions was making center fire rifles until a couple days ago. I knew CVA has been for several years now, I wish I would have picked up a CVA Apex.

·
11,226 Posts
I have a Traditions G2 Outfitter in 357 Mag/Max. It handles nicely, has a short hammer with an extension, floated barrel, and the trigger can be adjusted easier than any Handi ever made. It shoots real well too! It's probably gonna be my "Forever Maxi." It weighs 7lbs 2ox with a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 in Burris SS Zee rings. It will soon get a Leupold VX3i 2.5-8x36 which should put it down under 7lbs.

I couldn't be happier with it.

Thanks, Dinny

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
I have a Traditions G2 Outfitter in 357 Mag/Max. It handles nicely, has a short hammer with an extension, floated barrel, and the trigger can be adjusted easier than any Handi ever made. It shoots real well too! It's probably gonna be my "Forever Maxi." It weighs 7lbs 2ox with a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 in Burris SS Zee rings. It will soon get a Leupold VX3i 2.5-8x36 which should put it down under 7lbs.

I couldn't be happier with it.

Thanks, Dinny
just proof that some research and trial and error and knowledge you make a great rifle. People expect too much out of a sub 400 rifle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
11,226 Posts
I'll add that the Traditions have Lothar Walther barrels and the barrel and action are cerakoted. Again, I couldn't be happier with it.

Thanks, Dinny

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I have scads of 358 Winchester components but no 358 Winchester at the moment. The CVA Scout V2s in 243 are getting pretty reasonable on the auction sights. I may planning to buy one and send it to JES to convert to 358 Winny. However now Ruger has come out with the American Predator in 358 Win for $399. So now I'm in a quandary on the matter.

I really like the CVA Scout V2 platform. They are a little heavy but I guess that in that regard I should take the same advice that I am aways giving out and that is, "Suck it up Nancy"!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have a .35 handi and my uncles .35 marlin lever. .35 cal was popular in Mich, good brush gun, good for black bears. Lots of cover in Michigan typically don't need long range rifles. Until just recently ammo was real hard to find for .35 now seems to be plenty.

mike

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
I have scads of 358 Winchester components but no 358 Winchester at the moment. The CVA Scout V2s in 243 are getting pretty reasonable on the auction sights. I may planning to buy one and send it to JES to convert to 358 Winny. However now Ruger has come out with the American Predator in 358 Win for $399. So now I'm in a quandary on the matter.

I really like the CVA Scout V2 platform. They are a little heavy but I guess that in that regard I should take the same advice that I am aways giving out and that is, "Suck it up Nancy"!
The Scout V2 compact is not really that heavy. I have a couple stainless one in 35 rem and the other in 7mm-08. But my go to is the lowly $149 Hunter that began life as a 35 rem and is now a 356/358 Win. Shoots lights out, even after hand reaming it myself.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
The Scout V2 compact is not really that heavy. I have a couple stainless one in 35 rem and the other in 7mm-08. But my go to is the lowly $149 Hunter that began life as a 35 rem and is now a 356/358 Win. Shoots lights out, even after hand reaming it myself.
They are not that heavy unless you are an old man that plans to bear hunt in the mountains next spring. The Ruger is a pound and a half lighter with 5 shells in the gun. I can still bench press 250 lbs but my legs are the issue. I have titanium knees. That said I walked almost 300 miles last year during Iowa's pheasant season(so says my fit bit) but I wasn't carrying a pack or climbing up and down mountains.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Scout,Hunter and the Apex(I have one in 7mm-08) and it for sure isn't their fault that I'm getting old! The area that I am going has had some grizzly bear problems as of late so maybe having more than one shot might be a good idea too.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
They are not that heavy unless you are an old man that plans to bear hunt in the mountains next spring. The Ruger is a pound and a half lighter with 5 shells in the gun. I can still bench press 250 lbs but my legs are the issue. I have titanium knees. That said I walked almost 300 miles last year during Iowa's pheasant season(so says my fit bit) but I wasn't carrying a pack or climbing up and down mountains.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Scout,Hunter and the Apex(I have one in 7mm-08) and it for sure isn't their fault that I'm getting old! The area that I am going has had some grizzly bear problems as of late so maybe having more than one shot might be a good idea too.
I went back and looked at some of them and they do vary in weight a good bit. The 450 bush is 8 pounds, but the 44 mag is only 5.8 pounds and both of them are the 41" overall length. I think the Compact version (38" overall) 35 rem I have is right at 5.5 without scope of course. However, the Ruger does sound lighter and may fit your need better.

·
Premium Member
16,456 Posts
I have been "brousing" for one. Meaning like to find but I havent applied myself much in the search.

Is like another 35 Rem and miss Single shots. I have been looking for an "excuse" to try one of these.

Maybe sometime soon Ill apply myself and own one!

Peter helped Me find a 35 Rem handi many moons ago and I made that one a 356 Before I ever even shot it!! This time it will stay a 35 Remington.

CW

·
Registered
600 Posts
Where did all the .35 Remmy's go?

To people that know what a great cartridge it is. Mine happens to be a Marlin 336.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts