Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a graduate of the Comanche County Cannon Cocker College. Spent 6 wonderful months at Fort Sill spending your hard earned tax dollars launching 105's and 155's at pour defenseless cars, APC's and tanks. In case no one has thanked you, THANKS! I enjoyed firing the big bore toys immensely.

How about y'all - what are your professional and avocational experiences?

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where did you pick up your artillary or mor

Skills - well to start with you're still alive and from the pictures still have all the body parts.

I remember at the end of Field Artillary OCS, the LAST week, we were taken over the O' club. There was a party there (just coincidently) where the LTC was celebrating his LAST payment for the 105 that he acciently blew up and paid for his entire career! At least he didn't get anyone hurt or killed.

So anyone who responds to this is either brand new, or has learned a basic set of skills to keep alive. I guess it's like bad motorcycle driving - a self-correcting problem.

·
Super Moderator
17,259 Posts
Where did you pick up your artillary or mor

Oh, that skill.

Some years ago I hung out with some guys in a welding shop. We were doing things like shooting tennis balls out of tubing with acetelyne. Graduated to black powder shooting fishing sinkers like 1 1/2 diameter fishing sinkers. Until one day we noticed a nickle size piece of steel missing out the side of the gun. It was the side we all stood on when it fired and it was the side towards the building. Never found where that chunk went.

Started looking into cannons a little deeper. Got hold of a copy of the Muzzleloading Artilleryman Magazineand read up on cannons. Remembered seeing an article in Guns Magazine on the Beercan mortar. Wrote them a letter and got a copy of the article.

Built or more correctly had the the first mortar tube built. Built the carriage at college. I have built 3 1/2 mortars and 3 3/4 cannons since. I have a mortar tube that is in progress has been for a couple of years, theat the 1/2. I have navel gun described in the posting on the U.S.S Cairo and a parrot rifle that is sitting on it's carriage that needs finished, the 3/4.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.