Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up folks?! It seems that the Texans have disappeared. We need to get this back up and running. I know there are SOOO many folks here. Whether it's rifle, pistol or Bow hunting, let's start posting folks.

I too, am guilty of a short hiatus. I am back now and looking forward to all the knowledge from my fellow Texans!

Shooter

·
Premium Member
14,631 Posts
Dunno, what is it this time, Floods washing you into the Golf or are you turning into mummies because of no rain and lots of heat?

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
scatterbrain said:
Dunno, what is it this time, Floods washing you into the Golf or are you turning into mummies because of no rain and lots of heat?
yeah, they dried up and blew away.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Not much to say. Don't have a lease. No buddies with land. Don't know Fed. parks well enough yet to bother. No hogs in the back yard. Don't have $2K to go shoot a ranch pasture buck... So I just shoot at the local range.

Be Well anyway...

·
Registered
606 Posts
:) Howdy! I'm still here. It has been too hot and dry to do much of anything outside. Stock tanks have dried up and wild game is looking for other water sources. The hunting may not be so good this Fall if we don't get some serious rain before long. I want to be optimistic though. Always, Gene

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
Scatterbrain where are you? Nice to hear someone has gotten rain.

Headed to the ranch in the early morning hours tomorrow, for a quick turn around trip. Too hot to stay out there too long. Filling feeders, moving one, dropping off next winters supply of fire wood, and setting up one new bow hunting tripod. Hope heat stroke doesn't get me.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The only thing good that's come out of this drought, IF you want to call it that, is that we have been able to clean out about 5-6 feet of silt from 3 stock tanks that have gone dry. First time these tanks have gone dry in the 140 years our family has had the land. this is up in San Saba county.

When it finally decides to rain again, these babies will hold almost double what they have been. We've had 5.5 inches since last September.

·
Premium Member
14,631 Posts
How are your wells holding up.
It has got to be brutal keeping livestock watered. :eek:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am still here! Jeff in N.E. San Antonio. My tanks here at the house are still holding water, but won't for long if we don't get any rain. The deer here are hanging in there, I saw a bachelor group of bucks two weeks back and all had average antlers. Let's all pray for rain!

·
Premium Member
14,631 Posts
More for the Maritimes yesterday and today, we are not going to dry out for some time. The bugs love it.

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
Snapped a few photos right outside the cabin,

The ground was so dry that it crunched under foot, and this was in the grass. Saw several does within a few feet of the cabin. One appeared about to try to eat from the bird feeder I had just refilled. All 3 feeders back up and running as well as a nice deer block put out. They look hungry, but otherwise healthy.

·
Premium Member
14,631 Posts
I haven't seen a deer in.................can't remember. I presume they all left for higher grounds.

·
Registered
43 Posts
:) ShooterSATX, I'm a lurker. Been so for yrs. I consider myself a wealth of misinformation and trivia. Got 40 acres on 41 Ranch. It is 18 miles east of Rocksprings off of Hwy 41 and Hackberry Rd. and 12 miles of dirt road. Don't expect much in the way of hunting this fall. Oaks, cedar and prickly pear are all dying.

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
DeckH, if you run feeders you should see plenty of game. The protein feeders were getting hit hard earlier this summer, and plain old corn feeders are being over run. Not much natural food out the right now. We just had a wild life watering system added to our place as there isn't much water either.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm here!

North Texas, along the Shawnee Trail at the Red River!

Just joined today and spend most of my time in the Henry Forum.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Markc, My son, 2 grandsons and I are going up to the ranch Sat. AM. My son is on the Owner's Association Committe. He has invited a state biologist to discuss the wildlife exemption. We are currently Ag exempt but the land is severely over grazed. The cattle guy has taken his cattle off due to overgrazing! His cattle are in competetion with deer and exotics. The only problem is all property owners have to agree to the wildlife exemption. Some are still in favor of the Ag exemption because of low taxes.
Have not been running the feeder this summer. will start up next month.

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
DeckH, our property Owners Assoc voted 1 1/2 years ago to remove the cattle from the ranch due to over grazing issues. Many PO are applying for the Wildlife Valuation. You get a 2 year rest before you either have to return the cattle, or submit a wildlife management plan.

My wife and I decided to just pay the taxes since it is based on the appraised value, which is about 1/2 of what we pay for the land.

Scatterbrain, you can find and download the forms at the Texas Parks and Wildlife web site. Basically there are 7 areas of wildlife management, and you select 3 of those that you will practice. Complete the forms clearly documenting what you are doing (supplemental feeding, clearing of cedar, houses for bats, or song bird etc..., maintain excellent records that show what you did, money you spent, ect.. Each year you collect the records and turn them in, with the approved plan lasting 3 years.

Each county has folks that read these applications and either approve or disapprove them. Many are disapproved because the forms turned in by the land owner is incomplete, not clearly worded to explain what is being done. Some ag agents that read these can be picky. If you choose supplemental feeding, it can be costly. It isn't just running a corn feeder, and some applications will be rejected for that reason. A co-worker who is feeding spends more on protein and corn than he would if he just paid the full taxes. It all depends on your particular property and the areas of management you choose.

The Pks & Wildlife Dept has biologists that will survey your property and offer assistance, but it is up to the land owner to complete and submit the forms for approval.

AEA, welcome to the forum.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts