Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello folks....
my uncle just bought a .36 caliber squirrel rifle..cva ??
we had a lot of fun shooting it, but ?? its got pin's in the stock to hold the barrel in,how does the barrel come off to clean ?? we are used to the hawkin style key's
now im going to have to find me a squirrel rifle of my own,,
any thoughts on brand ?? whats a ''hatfield'' squirrel rifle ??
i like the looks of the kentucky long rifles...
but ?? a .36 caliber lyman trade rifle would be wonderfull too..
my pop shoots a lyman plains,trade rifle in .50 caliber
im looking to
learn all about the front stuffer's in .36 caliber
thanks in advance
buckweet

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Re: where to start ?? looking for a good .36 cal squirrel ri

buckweet said:
hello folks....
my uncle just bought a .36 caliber squirrel rifle..cva ??
we had a lot of fun shooting it, but ?? its got pin's in the stock to hold the barrel in,how does the barrel come off to clean ?? we are used to the hawkin style key's
now im going to have to find me a squirrel rifle of my own,,
any thoughts on brand ?? whats a ''hatfield'' squirrel rifle ??
i like the looks of the kentucky long rifles...
but ?? a .36 caliber lyman trade rifle would be wonderfull too..
my pop shoots a lyman plains,trade rifle in .50 caliber
im looking to
learn all about the front stuffer's in .36 caliber
thanks in advance
buckweet
Hey Buckweet!
When you say pins....do you mean round pins, or are they the flat wedge pins that have a slight bend to them, that are the traditional means of holding the barrel to the stock?

·
Registered
156 Posts
where to start ?? looking for a good .36 ca

hey buckweet,
A feller can knock them pins out and remove the tang screw and pull the barrel,HOWEVER,there runs the risk of splintering the stock just a bit near them pins holes and the more frequently it's done the holes wear.CVA should come out fairly easy(disclaimer: they did on my CVA kentucky,don't know about your gun) pinned custom guns can be very snug.Fellers what shoot a bunch, might pull the barrel from a pinned stock but once a year.But then again, they be a might carefull on them rainny day's,know what I mean? :wink:
They make a kit thing for cleaning that's nothing more than a proper fit nipple drilled out big on the bottom with a piece of plastic tube snugly fit to the top of the nipple,ya stick the tube in bucket of cleaning stuff and commence a cleanin.
I made my own,just drilled out an old nipple,went to the hareware store got 3ft.of tube that fit snug for a buck, scruffed up the nipple end of the nipple, used a little crazy glue puttin it on there and good ta go, also I had too drill a hole in a lead ball the size of the tube,and put that on the end in the bucket so it would stay there,with my most vigrous scrubbing action,that tube liked ta jump out an squirt ya.(once) :eek:
As far as learnin .36 stuff,go down to the bottom of the page in the lower right corner and start clickn the page #'s, this will give ya stuff posted many months back,good reading! I'm sure others will add stuff here.
Good luck,have fun,

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

:D johnt-savageT
thanks guys !!!
my uncles rifle has the pin's,,great ideal about useing a tube on the nipple,that we will try,,,,
ok,,,im off to montana,load of herbicide,,so i'll be back at end of week,,,hope ya'll have a great one,,
i'll try n' stop by a few gun shops,,
that littel ol' .36 triped my trigger,,
buckweet

·
Registered
161 Posts

buckweet

I gotta be straight with you Buckweet! My name ain't Triple Se7en... it's really your ol'buddy Alfalfa! I was down at the old country store when I ran into Darla.. you remember her don't cha? Her sweet daddy passed away this year and left her a nice squirrel long gun. It's a 32 cal Traditions Crockett. Darla only fired it one time at a couple of critters stomping after her sheep. You remember Spanky's dog from the Little Rascal Show... don't chu? You know which one.... he was kinda white and had that round black patch over one eye. Well Darla accidently shot the dog instead of of the critters. That Crockett is a darn straight shooter and you could probably own one for around $220. I gotta go now... some doctor is coming over my house. He's gonna try to remove all my freckles.

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eShop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=R26128101

·
Registered
390 Posts

I got started shooting black powder many moons ago with a 36 cal flinter from Numrich Arms, and I like it!
If I was to do it again I would stick with the 36. A 25 pound bag of 000 buck shot at 100 balls to the pound will last almost forever. Recoil sure isn’t a problem, so a 36” barrel 13/16” across the flats would balance nice (mine’s 15/16” and is a tad heavy). My barrel is pinned to the stock, too. You don’t have to pull the barrel to clean it, just take the lock out and keep the flash hole pointed down while you swab it out with wet patches.
The Hatfield guns I have seen were real nice, but I don’t know if you can get a new one any more. I hear a lot of good things about Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading firearms. You might look at their website.

Have fun.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

hey !!! whats darla's number ???? lol !!!!
yup,,methinks a good bp rifle will be just the tickett,,,,
im agonna ck out that web site,,,,
just bought the ''complete book of black powder muzzel loader''
im here in montana now,,
looking in the pawn n' gun shops round town,,,cuzin danny let me use his house n' pickup while im here,,n' hes outta town,,,,great guy or what ???
ok,we bee bac's home in free day's
buckweet

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

ok,,guys,,,,found my dream rifle..........
a traditions half stock ,,,crockett rifle...............
but ??? my uncles rifle is a .36 caliber...would like to have same caliber as his...........
then my next rifle will be the flintlock .36 caliber,,,for now learn n' use the cap rifle.............
wow !!! if only the caliber was a .36 i'ed of just now bought it !!!!!
keep looking !!!!! send me all ya find !!!!
buckweet
freckles ??? ouch !!! removing them ??? how ??? sandpaper ????

·
Registered
74 Posts
36 cal rifle

:D Hi Buckwheat, I'm surprised no one mentioned Cabelas Blue Ridge rifles, they have it available in 32, 36, 45, 50, and 54 cal. in both flintlock and perc. there also a copy of the hatfield, which u were asking about, the barrel is held to the stock by screws that go thru the thimbles, and the tang bolt, so its a little easier to take the barrel off. there a well made gun, and definately worth a look. :D

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my dream rifle......

ok ??? bear with me,
so far im looking at everything you guys are telling me about,
imathinking ???
.36 caliber
half stock..with key wedges[too simplfiy getting barrel off]
removable breach plug
hawken style rifle
cap lock
what ya tinks ???
do anyone make shuch a critter ????
thanks
buckweet

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Re: my dream rifle......

buckweet said:
ok ??? bear with me,
so far im looking at everything you guys are telling me about,
imathinking ???
.36 caliber
half stock..with key wedges[too simplfiy getting barrel off]
removable breach plug
hawken style rifle
cap lock
what ya tinks ???
do anyone make shuch a critter ????
thanks
buckweet
Buckweet ole buddy,
I don't know, with those wedge pins, I think you will find that it will come with a hooked breech, instead of a removable breech. I could always be wrong?????

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cabela's blue mountain .36 cal flintlock..............

hey,folks, just got back in from montana,,,stoped by cabela's out in sidney nebraska,,,found a used .36 caliber blue mountain flintlock..
??? 350.00$$$ is that a good price ??? the rifle looked like new,,,
anyhoo...putt it on payment plan .wise choice ???
hope so........
let me know whats ya'll thinks ???
buckweet

·
Registered
156 Posts

Ya done good.
I frequently deal with Cabelas in Owattona,Mn. They have a no hassle return policy,last year I tried the sporterized Hawkin Carbine;
couldn't git it to shoot fer hoot.I took it back after about 3 months,reason for retrun: "not happy",OK, no problem.(done deal).
Now your rifle, ya must have found it in the Bargin Cave,(a good place to look) that's about 80$ under list.Every store has a cave,it's the catalog returns section,everything has full warrenty,the locals hit the cave alot!
I'm pretty sure the BlueRidge is made by Pedrosoli for Cabelas,a good gun. The 1:48 twist in .36 is a slow twist for that cal. and that long barrel should be a ball shootin' tackdriver.
I hope ya git it soon and start havin fun!
Till then ya can study up on flinter stuff,
Good luck bucky,,,,, :D

·
Registered
166 Posts

Buckweet if you ever get a chance to shoot a Blue Ridge take it. They're awfully fun to shoot and well balanced. My hubby owns 2 of them. Both are flintlock one in .36 one in .50. He takes his .36 out for bushytails often. You'll be well pleased with them.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks folks...........

thanks folks.sorry its took me so long to respond......
im a truck driver.not home a whole lot.....
ok......im making payments......5 bucks a month !!! lol !!!
nah...it'll be here b4 i know it...i hope !!!
thanks fer all the help...
buckweet :shock:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hatfields

Buckweet. Original Hatfield rifles made 20-25 years ago were like custom rifles they had green river or green mt. barrels ,outstanding materials and workmanship. Then they were made in Japan from junk. Dont know how they are today, but I saw one used at a local range that looked alright. I thought Buckweet am daid?....Horsefeathers.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

horsefeathers........
nope im alive !!!!
so ??? the hatfields are kinda rare ???
im trying to get a cabela's blue mountain long rifle in .36 caliber flintlock...
just trying to get my penny's all in order,,
thanks fer the info !!!!
buckweet

·
Registered
166 Posts

buckweet I think you will like the Blue Ridge. When you get it you will notice their loading data is on the conservative side. That's because they base all their loads on SWISS powder which is much more powerful than Goex and Elephant that American shooters use. If you get the chance, try some Swiss in it.

Hubby has tried Swiss in his. He said it performs quite well.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

:D mamaflinter......10-4 on the swiss powder
i'll see if i can round some up..is it the same?? as in ff or fff ect ?? wonder wich i should get ??? the pan uses triple f right ???
i've got some ''goex'' FFFg here at the house..
also found a neat web site called www.how stuff works.com
been reading up on flintlocks, did you know ??? that flintlocks where in use for three hundred years ??? and the cap lock only about 50 years ??
been reading about the flash holes...the wrighter says ''big'' is better,,n' the hole should be high above the pan,flint should be sharp n' strike full length, no hang time ,fast lock time........im learning ??? lol !!!
buckweet

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

yup i'm reading so much about flintlocks,my eye's are going screwy!!!
did i learn anything ??? hope so....
found a neat web site called TRACK OF THE WOLF
click on n' check it out
shure wish someone would post his/her routine of cleaning a flint lock..step by step ???
in simple terms ??? that a truck driver would understand ???
as in .... 1st thing i do is pick the rifle up.................
then i ...???....
and so on..
boy !!! have i gots the flintlock bug bad !!! and no place to scratch !!!!
buckweet
p.s. anyone wanna trade a good squirrel rifle for a contender ???

1 - 20 of 32 Posts