Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting in some coyote hunting this summer and have learnd a few new things about coyotes. Out here in New Mex, up in the high sierras around 9 to 10,000 feet its not uncomin to get an after noon rain shower. They usually only last a few minutes but always bring the temp. down 10 to 20 degrees. Windy when they start but usually very calm afterwards. Right after the rains its PERFECT to call a coyote or two, calm clean air for them to really put their nose to work, calm cool air to run around in, calm and quite to put their eyes & ears to work and usually willing to come to your call very quick. :) This last month I've taken three all right after a rain. I'll bet this works anywhere. Coyotes like it when they can use ALL their sense's, just be ready for a quick response. I also have a new coyote gettin gun. I have a T/C Dimension in 204 and just love it for coyotes. Think I like the Berger 35 gr. better than the Sierra 39 grain bullets, but both are working very well. If you want to save the hide, use the Bergers as the Sierras blow a hole in the hide about the size of a tennis ball. Any body else using the 204??? This rifle with a Leupold red dot VXR scope has been givin these yotes fitts, great fun.

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
I have three properties I can hunt pretty local to my home /work commute. So I rotate each and try to hit them Friday nights or Saturday nights/mornings.

We have taken 3-4 over the summer and seen herd dozens more.

CW

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey CW. Man I wish I had some private properties to hunt on. Out here they would be huge as most ranch's are very big. But most dont mind coyote hunters. The weather here has been a little wet and cool the last couple of days but clearing now, so think I'll grab the ole 204 and head outa town and try my luck this evening. Trying to find a place close to town, (as this is where lots of yotes are) but still able to hunt with out any problems. Any way beats sittin at home.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Haven't had the time to do any yote huntin this year, new job means putting in serious learning curve time. :-\

I did do some control work for an area farmer, this summer, that was having his lambs killed. Turned out to be his neighbors dogs though. Got three out of four of them in one set up, thanx to my new AR. Also got permission to hunt deer on his property. :)

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
"where's all. . ."
killing big piles of coyotes hopefully. ;)
i shoot all of 'em if i could manage to

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Oct. I have busier than a one armed paper hanger. Between bringing in the winters fire wood I cut last winter I have been getting he bees set for winter. Repowering my old log splitter. that took some time as the 212CC 6.5 HP Predator engine Had to be moved forward and new mounting holes drilled in the plate. The pump had to be lowered to match up with the engines shaft too.

I had also came across a old snow blower setting beside the road so I loaded it in the pick up. Glad I had the ramps and a come along in the truck as it is heavy. Engine was trashed but every thing else seems to be working.
I got another 212CC 6.5hp predator engine for it. Engine mounted right up but I had to modify the chute crank to clear the valve cover. Also decided once I had the engine on and found every thing did indeed work to install new tires. Those tiny 6 inch rims are a Royal Pain in the Kister.
then got talked into doing a Impeller kit so spent time on that.

Shafts mated up.

[/URL]

[URL=http://s280.photobucket.com/user/oldmasseyguy/media/Wood%20splitter%20%20snow%20blower%20212%20engines/snow%20blower%20amp%20splitter_Oct%2014%202015_3289_zpsa0hkvr1r.jpg.html][img]http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk194/oldmasseyguy/Wood%20splitter%20%20snow%20blower%20212%20engines/snow%20blower%20amp%20splitter_Oct%2014%202015_3289_zpsa0hkvr1r.jpg

So I am ready for winter with fire wood and A nice cheap snow blower to clear Mom's drive way with. I use the tractor here at home.

:) Al

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WOW allyooper. The coyotes oughta be thankful your are keepin busy with your home projects. If you put your mind to it you could probably build a robot coyote that would wipe them all out!!Ha!! Wouldnt stand a chance. I want to record a small domesticl dog yippin and howling at the sound of real coyotes. I just bet that would bring them in head over heels looking to eat that chiwawa sandwhich! I think fox pro does have that sound track. I havent heard it yet, but sure would like to give it a whirl. Have any of you used this type of a call? Yotes out here are gettin pretty darn smart gotta come up with something else to try. Whats working out there?

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
i had an electronic call with yote pups
and one of the options was a kitten in
distress. that worked as good as any
i've used. i let a friend (?) use it and
he brought it back soaking wet and it
turned green all inside.

i think the local dogs will get used to
one thing used repeatedly. if you hunt often
it's a good idea to have several different
things to use and rotate out.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Who knows? On a good day when they decide to come in I've had luck with the pup in distress call - sometimes the fawn bleep and the dying rabbit still works every now & then. There's just so many people out & about, sitting up and moving about their hide, driving up and down the roads; road hunting etc that it gets pretty scarce. They'll kill dozens during deer season and that will take a little time to settle down.

Some of the more successful guys are night hunting with suppressors - night vision is illegal to take fur bearers but I kinda think that's what is being used, as I've seen a couple real high priced thermal and generation 3 IR's on AR's - I'm talking 2K to 3K for the scope. We are fortunate that our State allows suppressors but I don't feel the need to go through the ATF hassle .

I'll never be able to afford that kind of night vision and I probably couldn't stay awake long enough to make good use of it, if I could afford it. :D

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
We hunt private property and in all cases the only one who target the coyotes.
Any way for the tiny dog sounds go here.
http://www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htm
Scroll down to the list of calls and there you go two tiny dogs yapping.

I use all of the calls he has listed there some have worked real good some not. Only use the fawn in distress at the start of fall August here. Other wise I get ran over with does looking for the little one in trouble.

:) Al

1 - 10 of 10 Posts