Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting an itch for a .223. I don't varmint hunt, at least not now, so it's use would be pretty much limited to just plinking and target shooting. I already have a .22LR and was thinking about getting a .17 HMR. However, guns for the .17 HMR are about $300 to $500. Heck, for that amount of money I'd rather get a honest to goodness centerfire like a .223.

Well, I don't feel like spending a lot of money on the .223 because I really won't use it as much. Granted, I like quality things, like guns and scopes, but this might be an exception. In fact, I just may not even get one at all. So since I have a hot bug inside of me, either I buy a 223 soon or probably not for a long time.

I own Remingtons, Tikkas, Brownings, and Winchesters. I think that I love my Tikkas the best, with Remingtons a close second. I was thinking about getting a.......well......you know......the "S" word (Savage :) ) Specifically, I was thinking about the 16FVSS. It's a stainless synthetic with a 22" barrel and a 9" rate of twist. I would get a Tikka but can't seem to find any in a .223 (or any other caliber for that matter). And I am not crazy about the idea of having a "stepped" magazine in the Tikka T3 either - that's why I bought a Tikka Whitetail Hunter Stainless Synthetic in .243. (older model, but still NIB).

So what do you guys recommend for something in the $350 to $500 range? I already have the scope covered - it will probably be an Elite 3200 5x-15x-40mm - not too cheap, and not too expensive - but just right. But what about the rifle?

What .223 do you guys own and how do they shoot with factory ammo?[/color]

Zachary

·
Registered
320 Posts
Howa varmint rifle in .223 at Walmart for $386. Heavy barrel and Synthetic stock. Hard to beat for that price.

Tom

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Zachary: Like you I like the better stuff and I do have a couple 223 rifles and at present the one that is the go to rifle on a daily basis when I can shot coyotes is a howa 1500 I like the feel of the rifle, aso have a ruger mark 11 stainless that I thought was a good rifle, however I am not all that fond of stainless when it comes to my long guns, something just yells out at me that rifles are ment to be blue steel and walnut stocks, but I do like the laminated wood also, well like you I can only use the (S) on the other one it just dont feel right to me. :D JIM

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tom,

I have heard pretty good things about Howas too, but I just found out that the Howa Varmint weighs 9.3 pounds![/color] :eek: Yes, I did say that I would use it for target practice, but still, that's a heavy gun.

How well does your Howa shoot?

Zachary

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Momma' and the girls gave me money towards a single-shot heavy-barreled .223 by New England Firearms. You've got to shoot one to believe how accurate it is. It works very, very well until I use the asthma inhaler or get too much caffeine in me. But that's my shortcom-
ing, not the guns.

Talk around to those who have shot them; the New England Firearms single-shots have a great reputation for accuracy. And, you can get the
gun, the rings, and a scope for a $300 total if you shop wisely.

Best Regards.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Don't have a Howa at the moment, but if I buy a .223 rifle, that would be the one. I shoot a tikka continental .22-250. If you want a light packing rifle, then all the majors offer a sporter weight .223. A nice one to get would be a kimber :)

Tom

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Zachary: I dont have the heavy barreled version I have the regular howa 1500 in 223 and it will shoot inside 1 in. any day that I do my part, I wouldnt carry a 9.3 pound rifle around either or would I just have it in the truck in case I needed it, I had a chanch to pick-up a ruger target model stainless in 22-250 at a real good price and passed on it because of weight, once a rifle reaches a point where the natural swing and balance it taken away because of all the weight I am no longer interested I like the lighter carring rifles. Dont be neglect the remington either zach. as you have mentioned you have a few of them, :D JIM

·
Registered
69 Posts
Zachary, I don't know if they are still available, but one of my favorite .223's is a Remington synthetic, stainless, fluted with the aluminum bedding block and free floated barrel. Nice rifle with the Kevlar stock and webbing. It is a little lighter than my Howa Varmint laminated, and depending on ammo used, accuracy is on par with the Howa.

Best deal going out of the box though is the Howa. Nice laminated stock, and can it shoot for the dollar. It makes me look better than I am. Yes, it is a little heavy but, shooting from a bench with a sandwich and soda, you'll never know the difference.

John (Rojo)

·
Registered
11 Posts

I was in the same position and was holding out to see a new charles daly mini mauser, but then I ran across a deal on an like new interarms mark X mini mauser. It.s a very nice action and just the right size for a .223. I also like the cz 527 except for the protruding magazine.

Good luck,
Weagle

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
weagle: From what I have read on the daly mauser they are made by the same co. that made the markx actions as I was thinking abt. getting one then I read somewhere that they were having some kinda importing problem, does look like a nice rifle if it ever gets into this countre,BTW I have a mark X in 22-250 and like it vary much. :D JIM

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually, I know about the Remington VS SF as I own one in a .308. Great rifle, love it a lot. In fact, I also have a Sendero SF in .300 Win Mag - I just love that one too. Thing is that these rifles are in the $800 range and I just don't want to spend that kind of money on a plinking gun.

As for the Howas, it seems that many people like 'em. If I were to get one though, it would be the one with the regular contour.

In the meantime, I'm surprised that no one has talked about the savage.

Oh, BTW, yes, I love my remingtons too, but I noticed that the ADL .223 has a 1 in 12 rate of twist while, say Savage, has a 1 in 9.

What do you guys think about the rate of twist for the .223?[/color]

Zachary

·
Registered
111 Posts
Zachary - I'm no expert, but here is what Shilen has to say about the twist rate for 0.224" barrels:

.224 CF

8" For bullets heavier than 70 gr.
9" For bullets up to 70 gr.
12" For bullets up to 63 gr.
14" For bullets up to 55 gr.
15"* For bullets up to 55 gr. driven 4,100 fps or more
16"* For bullets up to 55 gr. driven 4,300 fps or more

Looks like both the 1:9 and 1:12 will work for the most common bullet weights (50 - 55grains), but the 12" will most likely be better suited for the lighter bullets (40-50 grs).

Good luck .. Crayfish

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kinda interesting how they don't include the 1 in 10" rate of twist (which is one of the most popular rates). :shock:

Zachary

·
Registered
188 Posts
Zachary,

I was at a gun store last Saturday and they had a Howa 1500 .223 in heavy barrel for 350.00. You right it is heavy, I pick it up and its like picking up a M-1, but that bolt action was nice. I own two Howas, one in blue and one in ss and I love them both. I'm telling you guys you are missing the boat with these Howas, great rifle for the money, the bolt is real slick when you are pulling it back, and the trigger adjustment is as easy as pie. I also have a Savage 308 that I bought for my son. I would buy a Howa anyday over a Savage just because of the bolt action and the feel of the rifle, it just feels right. My 2 cents.

Buck

·
Registered
582 Posts
Zacary

I own several .223 a Savage 110FP tactical a tikka whitail hunter and a ruger mini 14. My tikka will outshoot my 110FP any day of the week and have shot groups as low as. .219 for 5 shots with grops seldom over .650 if i ever do my part the Savage is a great gun but the trigger is not the greatest i ma hearing that the new accu-trigger is awesome and have snapped a few roands out of a 308 model 10fp tactical. i would go with bthe tikka as i have a 6.6-20x50 on mine and it is a sweet shooter the trigger is adjustable you are right about the stepped magazine being a pan that is why i carry several with me for the record Out of my Tikka it shoots the best with the cheap winchester bulk packed 45 jhp you buy from wally world for 9.47 a box for 40 rounds good luck

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea, I think that I have narrowed it down to the Howa and (of course) the Tikka. The problem with the Tikka is that it is getting difficult to find them. In fact, when I got my Whitetail Hunter Stainless synthetic in 243, there were only 2 left at a national warehouse.

Zachary

·
Registered
582 Posts
I know of a source for Tikkas

contact John at pineywoods gunsmithing in Jasper, Texas he has a rackm full of Tikkas i am sure he has a .223 409-384-8845 as this is where i got my 223 Tikka

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just got off of the phone with him and he has a Tikka Hunter for $498. :? Granted, I'm looking for a .223, but I found Tikka Hunters in other calibers for as low as $450.

Zachary

·
Registered
582 Posts
lol

Hey Zacharay i guess it s the law of supply and demand as you wont find a Tikka withing 100 miles of our little woods towns you have to drive 50 miles to see a movie at a thatre just trying to give you my source for Tikkas also try special order at wally world they quated me a price before on howas and tikkas
Howie

·
Registered
11 Posts
jhm, You are correct. The new charles daly is supposed to be the same gun, made in the rebuilt factory that produced the old mark x's. I never could find one at a decent price so I was eagerly awaiting the new charles dalys. Then I found this one at $300. I like it a lot.

Good shooting, Weagle

1 - 20 of 28 Posts