Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got my first bottle-necked big bore - it's a .458 WM (I had decided upon getting something in .416 Ruger, with .458 WM my 2nd choice and .416 Rem mag my 3rd choice -- but then I found a smokin' deal on CZ 550 S.M. in .458 so went that route instead).

This is for a "someday" cape buff Africa trip (or I suppose possibly a TX game ranch deal for buff, feral cattle, or bison). I want to be ready. :)

First off, I'm very cost conscious. I like low-cost bullets. Secondly, I want the mildest recoil humanly possible, while still being an adequate performer. Those two items are conducive to me practicing more. And finally, I'm not doing the "1 soft, followed by solids" in the mag thing. They're all going to be just one and the same kind of round - KISS principle. No solids. If the buff tramples me, so be it. I'll die happy and full of adrenaline.

With that in mind, from what I read, I am leaning toward the Swift A-Frame 450 grainer, which I'm certain is adequate, and I should be able to push over 2,200.

However, the following two are cheaper, would give me good expansion, and I'm wondering if anyone (with experience) thinks they're tough enough for buff, with me holding 5+1 in this turnbolt and my PH right behind me (these have pretty low SDs): (1) Woodleigh Weldcore FP 400 grainer, (2) Barnes TSX 350 grainer?

Sadly, Barnes doesn't make a 400 grain TSX (which would have been perfect), and I don't want to go up to the 500 due to recoil issues (also due to TSXs not performing at all under 1800 and not that well under 2000 - which also excludes the TSX 450 for me). Nor do I see a Weldcore 450 available, for some reason (?). Dangit, should have held out for a .416 ruger so I could have used a 400 gr .416 TSX with a .300+ SD.

Is the A-Frame materially better than the Weldcore generally, for controlled expansion, as I have heard claimed?

This won't be used for any other game type, so don't need any versatility. Will take a 3-gun battery over there (I think). Although I suppose there's a tiny chance it would be my choice for zebra, eland, or blue wildebeest, but I doubt I can afford other high-dollar tags, so probably just cape buff for this rig.

Thanks.

Also, approx. how much $$ do I need to set aside just for: dry ice shipping of capes and such, and for taxidermy, for say, 4 heads of game (one buff and 3 smallish PG)? In addition to the hunt, travel, etc.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Well, I'll never get to the place where a Cape Buffalo is on my agenda, but I'll say this------------.

My 45/70 with my cast 465gr Wide Flat Nose bullets at 1650fps are MORE then sufficient for anything that walks on the North American, Canadian or Alaskan soil. ANYTHING!

Yes, there will be a slight improvement in trajectory with higher velocity, but the put down will not be any better.

In fact, there is a point of diminishing returns at velocities much above 1700fps.

With the large meplat of the WFN cast, there is no need for expansion as the bullet is doing it's work from the moment it touches the hide on the critter.

Any expansion will just decrease penetration potential.

My first elk taken with the 45/70 and the 465gr WFN was taken with a quartering shot. The bullet took out the big/heavy upper front leg bone, then went on to take out a rib, on through the lungs, a big heavy paunch, through the guts and lodged just under the hide in front of the off side ham.

The bullet weight went from 465gr to 327.9gr with the loss of the nose on that big bone, but still penetrated about 30" before coming to rest.

That is the only bullet I've found and is likely the only one I'll ever find as typical is full penetration. Deer dropping where they stand and elk down in less time then it take to tell about it.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Shooters set cast bullets aside for hunting too quick. For N.American big game the cast bullet rocks. They are very reasonable, also.

·
Registered
94 Posts
As mentioned above, for sure in shooting CAST bullets in most of my 458s (both lever & bolt), mostly at lower 'fouling' velocities. Some are gas check too, use those also, for both straight wall & bottleneck.

Keep premium bullets around(all kinds) too and do shoot those some, also in case I ever get to go hunting away from these great 48 states. Knew an Alaskan bear guide who loved the A-frames. I would not mind testing those too. I do like the Barnes & Hndy's that I keep on hand.

Still love my 270 & 06 too, yet shooting large cast is also a blast. Have fun and take your time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts