Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I was wondering about thinning the heard, so to speak, and am in need of some opinions from you good folks. If you were to decide to maybe only keep one of the following, which would it be?:
Ruger m77 .30-06
Marlin 1895GG 45-70
Ruger m77 Alaskan .416 Ruger

I was wondering if something like a .375 Ruger Hawkeye/GG might cover the bases of the rifles above? And, yes, I would be reloading.

Thanks in advance,
J.S.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
You have other guns, Yes? I would keep the Marlin. The Rugers are replaceable the Marlin, maybe maybe not. Have you seen the prices on lever guns lately? Keep the .45-70 as a heavy shorter range rifle and maybe get a longer range rifle (If you don't already have) later. Prices seem to be down on some very nice older "deer" caliber rifles.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I'd sell'm all and buy a 30-30.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I was leaning toward the 45-70. I think between that and one of the longer range cartridges, I should have most anything covered.
I appreciate your input!
-J.S.

·
Registered
698 Posts
peps123 said:
Thanks for the replies. I was leaning toward the 45-70. I think between that and one of the longer range cartridges, I should have most anything covered.
I appreciate your input!
-J.S.

That makes sense to me. I'd then look at a .300WSM for my long range rifle.

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
So what are you planning to hunt exactly. If its a general thing for native game, the 06 will do nicely. A 65gr bullet hand loaded will cover most everything. a 180 or 200gr will cover anything else up through elk and moose. I'd also keep the Marlin though as they are cool and will cover 90% of what the 06 will. If you are really that concerned and only want 1 caliber and plan to hunt everything on the continent....a 300 mag would be my choice based on my experience.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes,
General NA hunting for the most part. I appreciate all of the input. Would you have any thoughts on the .375 Ruger as an long range alternative? I've come across loads using 225gr-350gr projectiles, and they don't have to travel at warp speed all of the time :).

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I got rid of all non bolt guns. I like bolts. My bolt action45/70 is a 458 loaded down. 416 Ruger and 30/06 loaded up and down might cover a wide range. Now all you need is a good varmint gun! ::)

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
myself, I'd keep the marlin since I can't shoot bolts.
the .416 would go first either way.
a replacement bolt 30/06 should always be easy to find.
a marlin 45/70 not so much (at a reasonable price)

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
The caliber or chambering of each rifle did not factor into my answer. It's the rifle that matters, if you decide you want to have one again after you get rid of it the marlin would be the most expensive to replace.

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
If you're a marksman, not a plinker, the .45-70 will do all you need on this green planet. Forget about the "100 Yard Rifle" sticker ignorant folks have put on it. I have two, and after working with them and learning the rainbow, they're 400 yard rifles. I've hunted everything from long range woodchucks to close in bears with mine. They work. I have no need of a magnum rifle. My '70s are my magnums.

Pete

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
If you "just have to" get rid of one...its the 416. Otherwise, hold onto all of them, save your money and go hunting! Go kill some big ol tuskers ( Russian Boars) at some good, credible exotic ranches, or a bison or any number of other critters, but kill some! Eat the meat, mount the heads, take pictures, bring a friend or grandchild with you....enjoy your life! ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
i'd think the 416 would go away regardless.
what could you do with one that couldn't be
done with a 45/70 except pay way more for ammo or components?

the marlin would cost way more to replace than any of the listed choices

firearms of any make or type in 30/06 can be had for most any
price range at any time of the year or during any type of crisis
real or imagined so i wouldn't think twice about letting it go if
the criterion were to only keep one

·
Registered
104 Posts
Groo here
Sell all but the 45-70.
Get a Ruger American in 7mm08 [ you can make from 308brass]
With reloading , these two will do all from chimpmunks to the biggest ,