Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D I'm looking for some input to help me choose a new turnbolt. I live in the extreme northern Midwest where I regularly hunt Bear, Whitetails, and predators. I plan to try Elk, Mulies, and Antelope.
I currently have excellent rifles in .300 Wby mag, 7 STW, .308 and .243. Since the .300 Wby will do anything the STW can do I am thinking of replacing it with another caliber to round out my arsenal.
What would you recommend? Thanks for the input! :grin:

·
Registered
373 Posts
don`t laught -264 win mag in win 70 ,26" barrell,140gr at 3,200
best sec den.retain s,best down range energy of anything in its range!
superior to 270 win.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Choosing a Caliber

Big Tom,

Are you thinking of going up or down in caliber?

You pretty much have the bases covered with what you have except for the large bore/small bore ends of the spectrum.

If you're looking to move up, I can recommend from personal experience the grand old .375 H&H. Several highly experienced African PH I know would agree with that one. Also, the underrated and often overlooked .35 Whelen is another good choice. I love mine. It's the equivalent of the 9.3x62 which has a great reputation.

If you're looking for something smaller, you really can't go wrong with the .22 LR, .223, or .22-250, depending upon your needs.

Good hunting.

Rocky

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
:sniper: The 223 is nice. It's fun to shoot, accurate, and cheap to reload. You could go the other way and get something big. 35 or larger.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:-D My local gun shop owner considered my .300 Wby to be barely mid range for Big Game :shock: Here I thought I could kill most everything in the USA save dangerous game with a .300 Wby and a good 220gr bullet. He recommended a .338 or 8mm. Mag to replace the 7 STW. A .264 mag sound great but I'd have to find a used one. I'm a little recoil shy about a .338, though I've never shot one. there is a nice Remington pump in the local shop in .35 Whelen for $300 but I wonder if it would give me the accuracy I'm used to in a bolt action. Would a .35 Whelen have more energy than my .300 Wby? :biggun:

·
Registered
267 Posts
My brother shot both moose and elk this year with a 30-06 no problem.
Your 300 Wby will take anything that walks in North America. It all comes down to a bullet that is made for the game being taken and putting it through the lungs.

·
Registered
501 Posts
You have more than everything you need in your arsenal. The .243 will aptly cover everything from coyotes down to mice. Any of your other guns will cover the rest, right up to bruins, with the correct loads. If you just have to burn some more money, use it to buy some high quality optics (spotting scope or binocs). If you are serious about bringing home a trophy (by whatever definition), then the optics are almost as important a part of your arsenal as any gun.

If you have good optics already, I would spend the money on increasing the quality of the hunt. That could mean anything from paying an experienced guide to buying new truck tires. I wouldn't waste another dime on guns--in fact, if I had your arsenal, I would be liquidating the overstock to buy equipment or better access to game.

·
3,197 Posts
Now thats a thought. Why not get a Swarovski or Zeiss scope? :idea2: But then I wouldnt be happy with my Nikon Monarchs after I looked thru your super scope. :(

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
A 35 Whelen would be great for elk (and mule deer) under 200 yards, but relatively too big for antelope.

What about a 270 WSM? I have one, although I haven't even shot it yet. :cry: I would think that this would be great for mule deer and antelope and, with heavier premium bullets, good (but not great) for elk.

Zachary

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Big Tom said:
:D I'm looking for some input to help me choose a new turnbolt. I live in the extreme northern Midwest where I regularly hunt Bear, Whitetails, and predators. I plan to try Elk, Mulies, and Antelope.
I currently have excellent rifles in .300 Wby mag, 7 STW, .308 and .243. Since the .300 Wby will do anything the STW can do I am thinking of replacing it with another caliber to round out my arsenal.
What would you recommend? Thanks for the input! :grin:
A 270 win.mag. or a 264win.mag. would look good there with the others or even a 375H&H too you can never have enough calibers.
BigBill

I don't see any 7.62X39 in an sks a sure fun plinker?? your missin out?? :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Big Tom,

I would be very leery of any advice received from anyone who considers a .300 Weatherby to be barely mid-range for big game. :?: Obviously, owning a gunshop doesn't make one an expert.

Your .300 - with proper bullets - will work fine for anything in North America and most stuff in Africa.

Doesniper and huntsman have made some very good points.

Consider a good quality .22 LR to round out your battery.

If you can handle the .300 Weatherby with 220 grain bullets, you should be able to handle the .338, although the .338 really won't do anything your .300 can't.

I used a .338 Win. Mag. for awhile when I lived in Alaska and discarded it. Went back to my .30-06. Used my .375 H&H if more thump was needed. Later on, I tried a .35 Whelen - use that and a .358 Winchester quite a bit now. I used to be into high velocity magnums, but no more. The .358s are good out to 300 yards which is as far as anyethical hunter needs to be shooting at unwounded game. From what I've seen, shooting at game long distance reveals a lack of stalking skills, knowledge, and character.

It's doubtful if the 7600 in .35 Whelen could match a bolt rifle for accuracy, but with you're .300 Weatherby, you really don't need a Whelen.

My :money: worth.

Rocky

·
Premium Member
3,900 Posts
One thing, if you like shooting your 300 Wby, then a 338 win wouldn't feel any tougher - or a 35 Whelen, or any number of similar chamberings. I'd think in the fatter range of chambers, a 338 win or 35 Whelen (AI) would be a great addition. What fun!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:-D I sure appreciate the feedback. Several notable people including the"Duke"(John Wayne) considered the .300 Wby the best all round hunting rifle in North American, of course many would debate that.

I'm still not sure what to get but at least now have even more possibilities.

My .300 Wby and 7 STW are Sako 75 Hunters with Leupold and Bushnell Elite scopes. The .308 is a Sako model 591 Classic and the tack driving .243 is a Tikka All Weather SS with a Bushnell Elite 4-12.

H*ll Big Bill, maybe I'll get an AR 15 and see if I can make it to Camp Perry! :grin: :gun4:

·
Registered
373 Posts
big tom,they sell new 264 win mags,i bought mine at jays in clare down the road from my shop.theres been a resurge in their pop.i got a nice win model 70.winchester went back to their claw extracter like the mauser98.
26'' barrel is best. conley loads the 140 to 3,200 with hornady.mine is a excellent rifle.paid 530.00!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Tom,

I'd get a 338 Win mag. I too had a 300 Weatherby and sold it. Didn't like the recoil. I've bought the 338 chambered in the Model 70 Classic, Stainless Steel. I don't think the 338 kicks near as hard as the Weatherby did. Seems more like a big push. Plus I can shoot 250 grain bullets in it. If I didn't have that, then I'd go with the 35 Whelen or 338-06. Big bullets moving at moderate velocties. My 250's cruise along at 2650 fps. 2" high at 100 yards, dead on at 200 yards. Haven't shot it any further than that. But I didn't buy it for long range, bought it for those 250 grain bullets...it's going Bear hunting this spring to Alaska. Looking for Grizzly #3 :grin:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Tom,

As I have noted on other strings, I am really impressed with my new Savage Lazzeroni 7.82 Patriot. You should look at it if you want to go up in performance. Price is $500.00.

Also, I agree on the 264 Win Mag. It'll most likely do most everything you want to do. Conley loads excellent rounds for this caliber so avaliability is not a problem.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
acearch72 said:
Tom,

As I have noted on other strings, I am really impressed with my new Savage Lazzeroni 7.82 Patriot. You should look at it if you want to go up in performance. Price is $500.00.

Also, I agree on the 264 Win Mag. It'll most likely do most everything you want to do. Conley loads excellent rounds for this caliber so avaliability is not a problem.
Thats a good looking rifle, but the ammo is 100$ a box! Holy Moly! You must reload Acesearch.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Big Tom,

Yep, it's pretty pricy ammo, but I didn't get it to punch paper. I shoot it enough to be comfortable and confident, then only at meat. The $100 variety is custom loaded and each bullet is shaved and lubricated. His accuracy loads shoots 3" @ 300 yds.

I'm trying to talk Kole Conely into loading the Lazzeroni 7.82 Patriot. He says he will consider it this year. That should take the edge off the price, but it still won't be cheap.

But that sucker does shoot fine.

·
Registered
324 Posts
New Rifle

Big Tom,Camp Perry is something worth doing. AR-15 or M-1 will do the job. If you want a nice hunting rifle I'd go with a pre-64 Mod-70 in 375 H&H . A 350 gr. bullet that shoots about as flat as a 30-06. HEAVEN ITSELF. :grin:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts