Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to simplify my caliber assortment of all hunting rifles. I want a 30-06 for my Handi to go with my Savage, but would really like the 26" length. Then I'll have 223, 30-06, and 375 Win (not a Handi).

My thought is to get a 25-06 or 280 and ream it to 30-06, BUT both appear to be longer then the 30-06 case and might preclude me from using factory brass in it which could REALLY complicate matters if both rifles were taken. Getting ammo confused would almost be a certainty.

The 26" is not a HAVE TO, but it looks a LOT better than the 22". I know the 280 is a good round but to ME the 30-06 is better. Not wanting to start a war but want to stay with the 30-06. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
50,979 Posts
Reboring the 25-06 to 30-06 should be fine, I've shot 30-06 brass necked to .338 in my 338-06 which has a 25-06 chamber on it with no problems. The only thing Wayne did to the chamber was cut the neck larger and a bit longer for the weatherby A-square brass, he made no changes to the rest of the chamber. We discussed having the chamber neck too long, and that wasn't an issue, but having a chamber neck too short would cause a problem, specially in a Handi. When your smith cuts the neck for the .30-06, he can cut the neck any length you want him to since it's gonna clean up the .257 neck completely.

Tim

·
Registered
814 Posts
Maybe I don't understand what you are trying to do. Cutting the chamber to 30-06 should be no problem but how are you going to cut the rifleing for 30 caliber? Unless you know someone who would ream the barrel and sleeve it as that seems the only way to make it work. Looks to me like the expense would far outweigh any benefit. :money: Just my two cents.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Nightrain52 said:
Maybe I don't understand what you are trying to do. Cutting the chamber to 30-06 should be no problem but how are you going to cut the rifleing for 30 caliber? Unless you know someone who would ream the barrel and sleeve it as that seems the only way to make it work. Looks to me like the expense would far outweigh any benefit. :money: Just my two cents.

Hmmmm the expense would out weigh the benefit???

I really don't think so... :wink:

Handirifle...get one of these...you won't be sorry...

Mac

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nighttrain
The barrel can easily be rebored and while it might be more money (200-300) I think the looks, balance, and performance would be worth it. If it were a performance ONLY issue I'd agree.

Quick, I had you in mind when I thought this up, I'll have to talk to my smith and see what he says.

The 280 MIGHT be a better start since it is more of a general purpose round, at least closer to the '06.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I haven't looked handirifle, but doesn't NEF offer a 24" 308 barrel? That would be your ticket although I believe you would end up with a better barrel on a rebore job.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes they do, but it is only in a heavy barrel (not what I want) and the 30-06 will not clean up the 308 chamber.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
handirifle said:
nighttrain

The 280 MIGHT be a better start since it is more of a general purpose round, at least closer to the '06.
handi'

because of your handloading abilities, i'd definitely go with the .280 Rem' in a 26" barrel (leaving it as a .280) because of the excellent 7mm bullets that are out there. there are a lot of Excellent bullets for deer, bear, moose, etc. if your rifle likes the Hornady 139 gr btsp in .284 cal' you'll really reach out and touch something.

as i remember your Sa......SSSSSaaaaaa........(oh boy!) that 'S'-rifle was in .30-06, so you've got that one covered -- and with a 'repeater'. SSSSaaaaaaa :eek:

forget it.

SS'

:(

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
You could have a 22" 30-06 barrel threaded to add 2 or 3 inches of screw on muzzle brake th give the appearance of a longer barrel.

·
Super Moderator
50,979 Posts
Or......you could just buy Wally's 24" barreled UltraComp .30-06!!! :grin:

Tim

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All tempting ideas. If I didn't have the SSSSSS ha ha I'd go with the 280 and not look back, but I looked at midway and the factory stuff is limited.

I only worry about that in case I lost my ammo on a trip somehow. Minor concern but one still.

I sent an email of the the "smith" to get his input so I'll see what he has to say.

Actually, now that I look again at [urlhttp://stevespages.com/page8d.htm] Steve's Pages [/url] it shows the shoulder the same length on the 25-06 and 30-06. His drawings show the 25 as having a .441 shoulder and the 30 having .436 at the shoulder. The only question might be in accuracy of the smaller shouldered 30-06 case in the re-chambered chamber.

Loading ONLY for that one would be easy since I could neck size but it might not chamber in my SSSSSS as SS called it.

Looks like factory fodder WOULD interchange. But then again, headspacing might be a big issue. ARRRGGGHHHH :x why are my ideas always like this? Maybe I'm stuck with a 22" barrel :cry:

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I'm just curious handirifle, just how much does the 30-06 give up from a 26" tube to a 22" tube? I also understand it could be a matter of asthetics. I have the 38-55 Target Model barrel, a 28" heavy (at least by NEF standards) and it is quite muzzle heavy, enough so to make it quite different from my 22" heavy barrel guns. I enjoy shooting them offhand, the 38-55 is nearly a chore to do so very long. It'd be nice to handle a 26" tube just to see the difference, but I'm willing to bet a 22" or 24" barrel will be a better balanced rifle.

As to barels to choose from, since you are looking at a rebore job, the 223 24" heavy barrel could be a place to start.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JPH
It IS mostly asthetics. As far as performance, I'd guess, maybe 100-200fps, not a huge amount but when I like the looks of the longer barrel every extra reason for getting it is icing on the cake. :wink:

I used to have a BC and am very familiar with the nose heaviness you describe, but since the 26" barrel has more taper to it it shouldn't be as bad. I do have the 24" 223, since that was what my original purchase was, the 223 UV. With the 24" heavy barrel it too, is nose heavy but I like the extra weight for off hand shooting. Which by the way was the only shot presented to me when coyote hunting last winter, but he took off before I got off a shot.

I got a quick reply back from the "smith" and he says the 25-06 will work just fine :) but not the 280. So a 25-06 (soon to be a 26" 30-06) it will be. Of course the Idea of a 26" 35 Whelen AI is starting to seem intriguing, but that would be ANOTHER caliber that I don't have time to reload.

If I had a mind I'd make it up. :roll:

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
handirifle said:
JPH

If I had a mind I'd make it up. :roll:

handi'

of all the things you've lost in life, you miss your mind the most.....

:wink:

try this: www.findarticles.com and re-read Layne Simpsons article about brown bear kills (85 harvests he researched in the notes of a guide). type in Layne Simpson and it'll be one of the NRA American Hunter (april 2002) articles reprinted there. he speaks about the .270 Win and its one-shot kills of 'brownies' with the Nosler 150 gr' Partition! it's not a fluke, it's just thorough bullet development in the .270 (like the .30-06), and it's the .270 Win' velocity that gets it done.

just a thought, but with that '06 SSSS.........SSSSSssssaaaa :eek: you don't need another .30 cal rifle.

just my two cents,

ss'

ps: SSSSssssaaaaauuusssage! :( nope, not yet....

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
handi'

maybe this will be some help - because it comes from one of the best writers i've ever read. even if he is somewhat on the conservative side in his opinions about handguns, he seems to know what he speaks about.

ed matunas used IMR 4350 working up to 60 gr' loads with 150 gr' Speer spitzers, per "Handloader's Digest" eleventh edition. page 86. he got 3018 fps out of a 22 inch barrel! he got 2750 fps with a 180 gr' bullet using the same imr 4350 as his propellant.

my point is, don't hold back getting a straight-up .30-06 in a Handi' with the 22" barrel if you either handload or can get a hold of Hornady light magnums or Federal High Energy rounds. i sincerely believe the 22" Handi will deliver the goods.

i hope this has been helpful.

ss'

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Relining to a 30-06

Nighttrain 52, I don't think you can find a Gun Smith that will
reline a barrel for a high pressure caliber such as 06 280 270 or a 243 for that matter just my 2 cents. Marv.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts