Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking the 3.8x12 power scope off my .308. It just seems silly for that rifle to have that sort of scope on it. I'm thinking of putting it on my .204. I'm leaning towards either a fixed 4 or 6 power Weaver K series. Which makes the most sense on a .308? Seems like a simple thing to make a decision on but I would like to hear what others think.

·
Registered
646 Posts
i think a fixed 6 power will do any thing u want it to do thats what was on my m77 mark2 30-06 and it was sighted in when i bought it from the guy 12 years ago and is still sighted in it works for me i have 3 9 40 on my other deer rifles and i shoot them on 6 power

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I'd get the 4x. I'd opt for a Nikon Buckmaster 4x for not much more $$$.

·
Super Moderator
51,249 Posts
That would depend on the kind of hunting you do, open area hunting would work fine with the 4x or 6x, but for close woodland hunting, I'd take a 2-7x variable any time over the higher fixed powers. ;) I've hunted with 2-7x scopes for the last 25yrs here in Washington and Oregon, they've only been set higher than 2x a few times and have killed many deer and elk, a few grouse and a coyote or three. You always have time to crank the power up for a longer shot if needed, but for a close shot, the field of view on 4x or 6x may be too small for quick target acquisition, just depends on the type of area you hunt and the expected range to your target. ;)

Tim

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
If your useing the .308 for a deer gun there is no need for more than 4X. I took a buck last fall at 289yrds., lazered, with a 2 1/2X scope and my point of aim was pleanty good. If you going after groundhogs and varments I would go with the 6X. I used to use alot of the old Weavers and the old steel tubes are not real bad, but have been changeing all my scope to Leupold over the past 15 years. Rember that the gun is no better the the sights that are on it, and you can sell a gun and keep the scope.

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
Given a choice between 4x and 6x, go for the 4x unless you are hunting the plains or mountains. Even better is the idea of the 2 x 7 scope better. For years I have been using 1.5 x 4.5 variables or 1.5 to 2.5 fixed power scopes. In woods, they are always set to the lowest power. I have even had Red Dot sights on my Remington 870. It works very well, although I don't really trust electronic optics (batteries!).

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
The Weaver K's are great for the money. So is the Nikon Buckmaster. You should look at the Sightron compact 4x, it's got 4.5" of eye relief. Also, in a more expensive scope, the Weaver Grand Slam 4.75x. It kind of splits the difference between 4x and 6x. I've had all of these scopes, matter of fact, I have a couple of the Sightron's and Grand Slam's right now. Highly recommend any of them.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I used a .300WM with a 1.5x5 for my elk rifle for years. I'd say a 2.5 or 4. A fixed power scope is lots brighter than a variable.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I had a k4 weaver on my 308 for years and did everything I needed.Switched to a 2-7 widefield five years ago,like it much better for close range woods hunting.Give one a try and bet you would be happy.

·
Registered
119 Posts
A Leupold 2 X 7 would be nice, the Leopold 4X needs no introduction, and Natchez has a Weaver Grand Slam 4.75 X fixed for sale for a really good price. If I had the $$$....

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The 4X Weaver's had a great rep as the all round scope way back when I was a lad, but I've been a 2-7 fan since variables hit the market. :)

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I had 6X on a few rifles for awhile until I decided to change them for a more powerful scope but the 6X is a fine chose. It has the power for long range or close up.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Hi All,

Well I have several rifles that wear 6x42mm scopes and would have more but finding good quality 6x42 scopes in my price range is difficult so I have to find used ones normally. In fact only two have been brought new. The others have varibles on them, again all brought used except for the cheap Hawke scope on my .22LR rifle which I brought to try out illuminated reticles.

I find that the 6x42 is about perfect.

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts
I have 2 Weaver K6's,one on a Ruger 10-22. They work very well, even up close. Very clear scopes and gather light really well.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I hear that the Nikon Monarch is a **** of a deal on a fixed power scope. You get premium glass for a reasonable price.

And even though I am happy with the Leopold and Mueller variable scopes I have I can't help but believe that a fixed power is more durable, less things to go wrong. And truth be told, I always leave my variable scopes on the same power # (5) my lucky number. But all my shots now that I don't live in Nevada are under 250 yd. max. But there again I feel that if I change power I might change zero. Just cautious and superstitious I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
4x is all you need for deer hunting. I have a 4x32 bushnell and I love it.
6x might be nice for those long shots and sighting in though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts