Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I were to take my .41 magnum (S&W 629) or my .357 magnum (S&W 686) along just as a side arm for a boar hunt, what bullet makes and models would you suggest? :roll:

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
I think ben it the nail on the head. In my experience, the Cast Core is an awesome bullet. Accuracy? Well, at least in the .44 Mag it shot the tightest groups out of 5 different factory loads. The Cast Core does not expand too much, if at all. But if you have a hog coming in at close quarters, you want to make sure that it will penetrate, and the Cast Core will!

Zachary

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the input... for me, choosing a rifle bullet is easy, but I have not done much hunting with a handgun... HOWEVER, I need to re-emphasize that I am only intending this as a "still laying there twitching" gun... a shot behind the ear or something of that sort. My rifle this trip is my Marlin 1895 .45-70 loaded with the fairly new Barnes .45-70 XFN 300 grain bullet. Whether I carry my .357, my .41 magnum, or no sidearm at all is really not all that important to me... Actually, in all the years I have hunted boar, I have never carried a side arm before, but think I should start doing so...

·
Registered
535 Posts
Dave, if you and GB sit on stand when you are at Clarkrange, then taking the pistol is no big deal, however if you guys decide to do some dog hunting while you are there, that pistol is gonna weigh a ton hanging on your side before you're through[been there/done that when I was younger at Clarkrange]. If you need a second shot, just plug him with your .45-70. Personally, I wouldn't carry a handgun, there, unless it was my primary weapon for hunting. Just MHO.

Mad Dog

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I know what you are saying. If I do not hunt behind dogs, this will be the very first time for me... The sidearm is more of a "want to" sort of thing than anything else... Really no big deal to me as long as the guide is armed... :shock:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.