Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If Jeremiah Johnson were still around today and wanted to trade his Hawken for a Handi-rifle, which would it be and what caliber would he choose?? :D

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
As I recall, he started out with a .45 cal until he happened across Hatchet Jack's .50 Hawken. So he liked the big bores.

Now. If he had the opportunity to choose a modern cartridge, he would be inclined to choose the one that offers the biggest bullet, with the biggest thump downrange. In a Handi, that would include the .30-06, .35 Whelen, .45-70 or .450 Marlin. The '06 and .35 offer long range thump that the .45's cant, yet the biggest bullet he may be able to use would be a 220gr - 250gr. But, Jeremiah was from the era of big, slow moving bullets. As described in the movie "he was a man of sound mind and proper wit". The movie also portrayed him as a quiet, responsible and determined individual. He was a good tracker and knew where to go to find game. That in mind, he may not need beyond 200yd capabilities. It would seem that when he found something that worked, he stuck with it. So I think he would lean toward the Marlin.

EVOC ONE

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Liver-Eater started out with a .30, the only thing available when he was outfitting himself. I think he would find any cartridge rifle of reasonable power an improvement.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Jerimiah has always been my hero. I want to be just like him when I grow up (58 now) I tried to be like him but the wife would'nt let me wipe meat drippins in my hair, and insisted that i bathe daily ??? :-D :-D

·
Registered
903 Posts
I would have to think he would be looking for that illusive 35 Whelen. It's a different world today and the shorter shots available in his day don't happen nearly as often today. 250 gr jacketed bullets are pretty common, but cast may go higher in weight. That's over 1/2 ounce and I doubt a .50 cal round ball would be any heavier than that weight.

Yep, the Whelen is flat enough and heavy enough to take on whatever you encounter in North America!

·
Premium Member
3,612 Posts
He would also be thinkin bout puttin a hurtin on Griz and droppin buffalo so that said 45-70 444 or 450 in that order!

·
Premium Member
6,755 Posts
There is absolutely no doubt he would want a Buffalo Classic, and when he sold a good load of pelts, he would probably have it reamed to 45-120. That way if he could line them up right he could shoot two griz. at once. :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
mechanic said:
There is absolutely no doubt he would want a Buffalo Classic, and when he sold a good load of pelts, he would probably have it reamed to 45-120. That way if he could line them up right he could shoot two griz. at once. :eek: :eek:
+1 not a doubt in my mind

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
I do believe a 45/70 would have made him very happy and let him sleep at night! Fredster22

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Just because he would not know what to do with a cartridge if it bit him on the ass, he would probably have picked a .58 Huntsman. Larry

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
with his reported trouble with the Indians , I reckon he would carry an AK47 and lots of loaded clips. The much toted M16 would give to many problems in his environment.Quantity would be a requirement of necessity

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Sorry hit the wrong button (comes with age)
That being said about firepower, He (in my opinion) would carry a 30-06 Handi same reasoning , Reliability,power,available ammo,and a proven track record

·
Registered
28,628 Posts
Not me he was on the run and ate human parts . Also he was a cold blooded killer . And would appear to have a mental disorder . Interesting fellow but no hero or role model .
Then again looking around at todays role models , he just may have been born before his time !

·
Registered
1 Posts
SHOOTALL said:
Not me he was on the run and ate human parts . Also he was a cold blooded killer . And would appear to have a mental disorder . Interesting fellow but no hero or role model .
Then again looking around at todays role models , he just may have been born before his time !
Yes, the legends!! JJ was the early adopter of Psych Ops!! ;D

My pick is whatever everyone else is shooting, so he can reload the common available brass of the day...308

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Now remember, he would be carrying this thing and all the ammo. I would not be suprised in the least to see a .223 or more likely a .243 in his hand. I've read many stories of the Inuets and other Northern Indians using .243 in volume to take anything walking. The man would have been a good tracker, so letting a bullet work a bit isn't a big deal. As a fur trader you can't sell bullet holes for as much as undamaged hides. Think about the speed of a cartridge reloading verses that Hawken. I'll bet on 3 .243 rounds over a single .50 round ball in a grizzly. I think he would be pretty dang impressed with a .22mag for that matter.

·
Premium Member
7,572 Posts
SHOOTALL said:
It is claimed that John Johnston, aka known as liver eating Jeramiah Johnson never did eat an indians liver. It was reported that he slashed an indian across the abdomen in a fight and the indians liver was stuck on the end of his knife and the other indians took it as he was eating the livers. This at the time put great fear in the local indians and that was a good thing at the time. John Johnston actually went on to a law enforcment career later in life and killed 2 indian braves on night that were drunk and fighing when he grabbed both by the headand cracked thier heads together.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts