Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what would be better. Say that cost didn't matter, and I would use the same ammo. I looking at a Ruger Mini-14, and an AR-15. I really like the auto loading .223s, but I am stumped on which would be better. I am in Colorado and would use it on coyotes, prarie dogs. Both Both would be not be scoped. Thanx

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
GOOS,

Why would you want an autoloader for varmint use? These are inherently less accurate compared to a solid bolt-action. Any thin barreled action will suffer barrel heat-up, to some degree, with repeated firings, so you've got to make it count with the first shot! The need for a heavy barrel and solid bolt-action in a heavy stock are the first requirements for any varmint that has a target area the size of a half dollar.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Good one shot: If I had to pick between the 2 mentioned I would opt for the AR-15 as I have fired both and it is by far the more accurate in my hands, however I am not a big user of the auto in the field as I have a LOVE affair with bolt actions, Im sorry thats just me maybe one of these days I will be converted but after 40 yrs I have learned that they work the best for me, good luck. :D JIM

·
Registered
237 Posts
I found myself in the same quandry a couple of years ago, and once I did the math, it was cheaper to get an AR15 (Bushmaster in my case) that would put holes where I wanted holes to be put than it was to get a Mini-14 and do all the work necessary to get the thing to shoot straight. And don't let anyone kid ya, most quality AR/clones (marketed at "target" or "varmet" rifles) can shoot darn straight, and if you are serious about it, there are makers out there who will warranty their ARs to shoot 1/2 MOA @ 200 yds.

Having said that, you can probably get more bang for your accuracy buck from a bolt action IMHO.

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
mainsprings right on. Less variables in a bolt. Still an accurized ar15 would be poison on coyotes...

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
GOOS I dont see anywhere in the previous posts where it says the AR-15 has a longer range than the mini14.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I predator hunt exclusivly with an AR and so do many of my friends. I shoot a 16" ss bull DPMS upper on a Bushy lower with Jewel trigger and my friend uses a Bushmaster 24" varminter. Both will shoot .5-.75" groups @ 100 yrds easily. And quick follow up shots are easy with no target aquisition loss.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.