Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
24,044 Posts
bark riven knife company. Second is rapid river knife company. both are local companies that were formed by knife makers that worked at marble arms and quit when the new managment bought them out and started importing blades and just putting handles on and took on a line of china made folders. Both of these companies make top shelf products. Ive got a couple randalls and in my opinion these companies are every bit as good if not better at a 1/3 the price of a randall.

Reactions: cwlongshot

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I'm cheap; Ontario Knife Co. is in the kitchen, and in my backpack. Steel seems to be good, they take an edge and hold it. Handles aren't as pretty as others, and the steel is NOT stainless but they work for me.

~Kees~

Reactions: MS 9x56

·
Registered
28 Posts
For kitchen and butchering there is not a cull in the lot. I use JA Henkel, Wusthoff, and Ontario knives. For Hunting I like Old Timer and Mora really well and the Rapala hunter series.

·
Registered
819 Posts
if its stainless it dont matter. more important is a way to quickly bring back an edge, since you will need to often. i have all of those and more, i dont see where one is any better than the others.
my antique carbon steel butcher knives go all season with out needing a visit to a stone. i dont know where to get good steel now other than hand/custom made.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I’m just plain weird…..

My EDC are a Leatherman Wave+, CRKT M16-02 Classic, and a Bucklight micro.
I love my Benchmade Mel Pardues, but since they are out of production I don’t carry them much anymore, especially when one of my Scouts asks to borrow a knife.

In the kitchen are a lot of Forschner, JA Henke, and vintage No name carbon steel knive.

The hunting bags and day packs (yes packs, plural) have either Buck Lite Skinners or Various RMEF knives from wherever. Some of those have been modified by removing the handle scales and wrapping them with 550 cord.

All do their jobs well, but like golf clubs and fly rods, use the right one for the job.

Reactions: 336ER and MS 9x56
1 - 12 of 12 Posts