Graybeard Outdoors banner
21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Been thinking of a 22-250 for deer hunting myself. Grandkid has gone 3 for 3 with a .223. Not one has run away.
I believe your probably right. Huge flaw in 22 cal's for deer hunting though. The normal bullet's are simply to light to just take a good shot and stay together. I believe you'd have to go to a heavier bullet at a bit lower velocity to really make it work. But then even if you went with a 75gr bullet, you could trump it by going with say a 90gr or 100gr bullet in a 243. You would end up with a 22 CF that would probably make a very good deer rifle but wonder what that fast twist would do to lighter varmint bullet's. Would you trust yourself to use that 22-250 on larger or dangerous game? I used to use 50gr Hornady SX's in a 222. Hornady cautioned about exceeding 3500 fps with them, claimed they would blow up in the air. Well friend of mine tried it. Loaded some to what the manual said was right at 3500fps. Hornady was right. I stood there watching him shoot and every second or third bullet went poof in the air!

I also know that if your up to it, a 22 RF is also. Again it's all on the shooter. Shot must be carefully placed and not out of range. Truth is every cartridge could make a good deer rifle depending on the user but the 224 cal shoots bullet's just to fragile normally and get up around the 308/30-06 and they really simply have to much penertation and evergy, depending on the shooter of course.

I was reading I think it was "The Last Book" and in it Jack O'Conner told about Elenore's only elephant kill. 30-06. Now Bell did a lot more with less but still didn't make Bells choice of Elenore's 30-06 a good choice. In each case the shooter over came to fault's of the cartridge!. matter of fact I suspect if it were legal a bullet for the 22-250 could be developed for dangerous game like elephant and buffalo or even grizzly. Would anyone choose to use it? Probably not as most of us don't have a death wish and actually understand out abilities!

21 - 21 of 21 Posts