Graybeard Outdoors banner

Weatherby, Winchester, or Tikka?

Which rifle?

3K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  Brithunter 
#1 ·
I made a post earlier about getting a really nice gun ($1200), but have changed my mind. I want to get a nice solid gun, but dont want a gigantic price tag. $600 is the absolute most I want to pay out the door. Id rather stay in the $400 range. I really like the looks of the Weatherby Vangaurd SS (comes with a wood stock and stainless barrel), and the Winchester Model 70 (also with a wood stock and stainless barrel)...on Winchesters website it said the MSRP is $800, but normally they sell for alot less than that, what would a reasonable cost be for BOTH guns (sold separately).

The best I would be able to get is a Tikka. Ive heard they are outstanding. Im just not sure if I should lay down that much cash for a gun. I think I can get it for $600 (maybe a little less).

BTW, my uncle has a scope he said I can use. It is a 2-7x28x32? Red Field Widefield. Its a nice scope. Not great but not bad. Its what I used before I bought a new scope for the gun I have right now. So the scope issue gives me a couple extra bucks to spend on the gun, i guess?!

Also, I will be getting a gun in either 25-06, 25 WSSM, .243, 243 WSSM, (in that range).
Thanx and sry its pretty long,

TIA :D :D

See less See more
#7 ·
BuckTrucker said:
Where's the choice for Tikka as in your heading? Bet that changes the results. :D
I would have to second that. I would go with a Tikka, before any of the others listed. :D

#9 ·
Heres another option I hadnt thought of.

How are the Charles Daly rfiles.

I think they are a sponser/moderator on the forum but im not sure. They have a nice looking rifle right at the $400 mark.....how do they compare to the vangaurd and featherlight....(i think the tikka is a whole another ball game?!)??

TIA

#12 ·
"goose"
Does the name Tikka sound familiar? All your choices are good choices, but what the folks are trying to say is, that the most bang for your buck will be a Tikka. I just got one for my son, a T3, 7mm Rem Mag, for $589 from the sporting goods store here in town. Blued, synthetic stock, rings, etc. You get an adjustable trigger, a Sako barrel and one of the smoothest actions you've ever seen. Oh yes, and out of the box they are one of the best shootin' rifles you can get! I believe that fits the "under $600" stipulation you put on it. You can't go wrong with a Tikka!

Good luck, and enjoy!!!!!

Jim

#19 ·
Classic Featherweight or Vanguard Sporter SS

I checked them both out Saturday...needless too say they are both nice looking...but for practical use and long term durability...Winchester Classic Featherweight...for best feel Winchester Classic Featherweight...MADE IN AMERICA...Winchester Classic Featherweight...made in Japan Weatherby Vanguard Sporter SS...

I'm now looking over at my new Winchester Classic Featherweight in 30.06 with a Nikon Buckmaster Scope... :-D that's my vote...

Switchhitter...[/b]

#21 ·
Which rifle

Your getting good advice, Tikka #1 / my second choice CZ, 3rd Win 70. With Win you may get a good one, may not. Good Luck Old Moss P.S. If hunting bigger than coyote get the 25-06. P.S. $400.00 Remeber you will get what you pay for go at least $600 or think about a good mauser 8mm and later can be made into a nice custom rifle. $200 + 150 for scope bases

#26 ·
I think I'd have to throw my support behind Tikka although I prefer the CZ. Both are excellent rifles. Tikkas have always been solid accurate rifles since they were marketed as Carl Gustavs. The same can be said of CZ. It built a great reputation in N. America as Brno rifles. To be quite truthful I've lost faith in the US firearm manufacturers. They're just too damn obsessed with the bottom line, much moreso than with the accuracy of the rifles they're making. My last three Remingtons cost an extra $250. each for glass bedding, barrel floating and trigger work just to make them shoot as well as my Remingtons from the '80s. There's just no way I'll accept a steady diet of that. Just one mans opinion. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.