Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide on scope for my sportster that is on its way. For small game hunting, varminting, small predators, and plinking. Would you rather have a fixed 4X32 or an adjustable 3-9X40?

·
Premium Member
16,614 Posts
My favorite scopes for my rim-fires are any less expensive with a adjustable objective. I have had good luck with the Simmons line...

My own has a Simmons Whitetail classic 4x14x40 AO. I picked it up a bunch of years ago on sale. Its always offered at places like Midway Sportsman's Guide and Mid-south for bargain prices.

The adjustable Objective is the important part esp with the cheaper glass as its not nearly as good as almost any "real" scope maker. Parallax is the accuracy killer and poor light transmission at dawn and dusk also hurt things. But I find this not so important on my rimfires, but a HUGE consideration on my "deer" rifles.

Good luck,
CW

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Personally I like a variable with a 32 or 33MM obj

more compact and lower rings

Hank

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you make a good point cw that with cheaper scopes like the kind Im gonna get for my rimfire it might be better to have adjustable to compensate for not being higher quality. It gives me a little leeway. Thanks for the feedback guys. Always appreciate it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I can be corrected if I'm wrong here, but just to clarify I think the intent is in regard to adjustable focus and not magnification. Cheaper scopes often have a tendancy to shift zero and/or go out of focus when zooming.
The China Cheapo house brand I have on one of my rimfires has been focus adjusted in the mid range power settings and the lower and upper ends are total garbage.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
JB said:
I can be corrected if I'm wrong here, but just to clarify I think the intent is in regard to adjustable focus and not magnification. Cheaper scopes often have a tendancy to shift zero and/or go out of focus when zooming.
The China Cheapo house brand I have on one of my rimfires has been focus adjusted in the mid range power settings and the lower and upper ends are total garbage.

I could be wrong but I think you are talking about the adjustment on the eye end
He is talking about the objective

Hank

·
Premium Member
16,614 Posts
Al tho some scopes do in-fact have a "focus wheel" this is not (until now) a topic of this thread.

If your asking about an "adjustable objective" that I am speaking of the front of the scope or its objective end. this is a "Parallax" adjustment not a "focus adjustment". Most scopes have a threaded ocular lens, (Nearest your eye) to adjust the focus of the reticule. NOT the targets adjustment. Parallax is similar to a mirage, or heat waves and it makes the target appear in a different place then its actual position. Aiming at it will cause bullets to strike at other then the actual target. If you can lock the scope in-position with its reticule or dot centered on the target. Then move your head around so the target remains visible. You will see the cross hairs move off the center... this is parallax.

CW

·
Registered
181 Posts
boatboy said:
I could be wrong but I think you are talking about the adjustment on the eye end
He is talking about the objective

Hank
You'tre right and I stand humbly corrected. My confusion may have led to more confusion on this thread so I'll backtrack a bit and hopefully get this thread back on track after my comments. Keep in mind I had to read this thread a few times before this dawned on me!
The OP stated:
Would you rather have a fixed 4X32 or an adjustable 3-9X40?
Note the use of 'adjustable' as opposed to 'variable'? Common jargon but one which came back to haunt me further along. I overlook such things and just continued along in what can probably be called translation mode for lack of another term.
When CW offered up his info I in turn transposed 'Objective' for "Occular". Why? I dunno. Chalk it up to cranial flatulence or something. That's where I went off-track.
My post was in regard to cheap variable scopes with low quality occular focus adjustments, which wasn't the current topic of discussion. My mistake and apologies for muddling things up.
JB

·
Registered
424 Posts
I just went through this myself a few months ago with my 22Mag Sportster. I like Nikon products and I wanted more than a 3x9 so I bought a Nikon Prostaff 4x12. Works well.

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
I am sure, and agree, the Nikons and Luepold's would be nice (great!) but I have gotten by just fine with inexpensive Simmons 3x9's and fixed 4X's on my .22 Mag's....<><....:)

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
I usually favor a 2-7X32 variable muzzleloader or shotgun scope the parallax is usually adjusted to 50 yards. That's what my .22 mag ultra is wearing.

·
Premium Member
16,614 Posts
JB said:
Lots of folks say adjustable power 3-9 and some say 3x9 adjustable. We always know what they mean. Not everyone flip flops occular and objective.... but I did! :)
Most call them Variables. But tomatoe, tomato. You explain what you meant and it's all good!;)

Ocular and objective lenses is terminology and more specific. Again no biggie we all understand now. We would not be human for mistakes. Kudos to you for it!

Merry Christmas

CW

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
JB White said

"You'tre right and I stand humbly corrected. My confusion may have led to more confusion on this thread so I'll backtrack a bit and hopefully get this thread back on track after my comments. Keep in mind I had to read this thread a few times before this dawned on me! The OP stated:"

No need to humbly stand corrected just a bunch of guys standing around the campfire without the campfire

Hank

·
Registered
835 Posts
This thread is a little over a month old... but if you are still looking for a scope for your 22 mag... take a look at the Mueller APT 4.5-14X40mm AO... this is what we are using for our Hummers and HMR's and it is an excellent scope... very clear and accurate and the mil-dot system is a great help for hold-over with rimfires... and I like the exposed turrets. :D [/color]

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, I'll have to look into that one. I'm using the scope from my .308 right now since deer season is a ways off. But I hope to get one for the .22m before then. I appreciate all the suggestions.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
It may be good to realize the accuracy limitations of the 22 mag itself. Usually 1 inch at 100 yards is excellent. You may not need a scope that cost more than the gun and really is not needed for normal shots under 150 yards. Magnifications over 12X may also be excessive also. Just some thoughts to consider

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.