Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:I recently purchased a browning a-bolt hunter in .308. I like the light weight. Are weaver mounts/ rings good, or do you recommend leupold? what about aluminum vs steel for reduced weight? sniper:

·
Registered
237 Posts
gunpilot said:
:I recently purchased a browning a-bolt hunter in .308. I like the light weight. Are weaver mounts/ rings good, or do you recommend leupold? what about aluminum vs steel for reduced weight? sniper:
....THe weaver style is good and the better ones are Burris Zee rings Signature style with the inserts and use either Weaver lightweight mounts or steel Grand Slam bases of steel......either will work for a 308 with good mounting of clean and locktite on the screws....the Burris are clean looking and strong and protect the scope finish.....if you perfer the "redfield" type of turn in front/windage rear the Leupold are good as any,better than some but need lapping to insure good mounting and again the Burris turn in style in Signature series have the insert style rings.....good luck and good shooting!!

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
If they are available for your particular rifle, I would seriously look into getting the Leupold Dual Dovetails.

If weight is not a factor, then look into the Talleys and Warne scope mounts.

Zachary

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've used and had great luck with Weaver aluminum bases and Burris Zee rings. Weaver steel bases would only be that much stronger. I prefer this style over redfield type rotary turn in bases, due to the fact you can R&R a scope a lot easier and more accurately.

Tom

·
Registered
156 Posts
gunpilot,I used Leupold Dual Dovetail rings and bases on my M70. I cleaned the base screw holes in the reciever and the screws with lighter fluid and put red Loctite on the base screws. I'll have to use a propane torch to get the screws loose. I like the Dual Dovetail system since it eliminates a screw to come loose where the ring meets the base. Dave

·
Registered
50 Posts
weaver has some new mounts sure grip and 4x4, and the 4x4 is steel and niether have the scope tiliting when mounting problem. Im thinking seriously about the new sure grips. Both are detachable.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Gunpilot: All of the major brands have quality products, you would do good with any you decided to use, I use weaver as they are usually easier to find in some of the smaller gunshops/megamarts due to cost I am thinking, so with that in mind I would go with the weavers. :D JIM

·
Registered
77 Posts
Gunpilot,

I have used the Conetrol custom mounts and rings on all my rifles including an expensive custom rifle that took 2 years to complete. The rings are projectionless and look great. They are strong too and they are light. They're all steel.

See http://www.conetrol.com.

Magnum308

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Most are good----but a couple to specifically avoid are the Leupold(or Burris or Redfield)STD style---only one ring to take the load and windage adjustment is not needed----if it is---you're got big problems with either your rifle or scope---or both.

Also avoid the Weaver BRAND(not style)---screws on one side of the ring---NOT GOOD-----and the slotted screws supplied with their bases are again---NOT GOOD.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.