Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi you guys--Before I jump into buying a scope ,maybe I can benefit fron the collective experienceon of this site. I'll be using either 10' or 14' 30-30 at ranges from 50 --150 yards, and I want the smallest scope ,so it doesn't impede handling, also I've been hearing about reddot scopes. PLEASE I need some input to help me decide. Red Dot, small optic or fiber optics .___THANKS BAYRUNNER

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Bayrunner,

I like the red dot for hunting the thick woods here in tidewater VA. Where I hunt there aren't many places where I can shoot more than 50-60 yards and I have found the red dot to be best for that. If I thought I would be shooting much more than 100yds. I would opt for a low power scope.

Jim

·
Registered
152 Posts
I hunt with a 2x Leupold on a 10" 357 Herrett and I found it to be optimal. For a deer hunting rig, I wouldn't go any higher that 2X as the eye-scope alighment is much more critical with scopes with higher magnification.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
scope

I appriciate the input, its starting to get a little clearer, I think I'll pass on Red Dot scopes ,and start looking for good 2x scope THANKS

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
357 herrett

Hi Johnly___ How do you like your 357 Herrett, and whats the biggest game you would go after with it. Also is it difficult to reload for it. THANKS BAYRUNNER

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Johnly said:
I hunt with a 2x Leupold on a 10" 357 Herrett and I found it to be optimal. For a deer hunting rig, I wouldn't go any higher that 2X as the eye-scope alighment is much more critical with scopes with higher magnification.
A Leupold is always a good choice, that being said, I've sold my Leupold 2X and replaced it with Nikon 2X, the FOV is bigger and it's a brighter scope. I replaced a Leupold 4X with Burris 2-7X. I like the Burris, but had one fail on my 44 Mag barrel and it had to go back to the factory. A Nikon 2X sits on that barrel now. The repaired Burris is back in service. Leupolds have the best resale value if that is a concern. A used Nikon, if you can find one, can be a bargain.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Re: 357 herrett

bayrunner said:
Hi Johnly___ How do you like your 357 Herrett, and whats the biggest game you would go after with it. Also is it difficult to reload for it. THANKS BAYRUNNER
:D

I've shot several deer with my 357 Herrett at ranges form 75 to 140 yds, but haven't tried anything bigger with it. I was shooting 180 gr. Speer FP pushed with 27 gr. of H4227 which clocks 1940 fps from my barrel. The 180 gr. Hornady SSP ought to be a dandy hunting bullet for this cartridge as well. I haven't tried too many different powders, H4227 was one of the first I tried along with WW680. I found the accuracy to be better with H4227 and didn't have the flash and boom of WW680.

·
Registered
6 Posts
which scope

Bayrunner I have a Tasco 4x30 Pro-Class with Parlex ( not sure about the spelling) Works for me goood luck, ishoot

1 - 9 of 9 Posts