Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok fellas, I have been pondering on what stock set I want to put on my .243 handi when she gets back. But... The pics on gunstocks inc. i dont beleive do the stocks justice. I want to see some finished ones that you guys have done. I will go with a target varminter forend and either a rollover cheek peice stock or the thumbhole one. (which brings a question of a queston, do they make the thumbhole model in a lefty or is it strictly righty?) if rightys are all that they have then prob. solved. But... I will wait for replys. I'm thinkin of just plain old walnut cause its cheaper and i dont think i like the other lams that i saw on the sight. Ill toss up a few pics that were on the websight. now show me your pics!
Hank.

·
Super Moderator
51,153 Posts
There are pics in the "Let's see some Handis' link in the FAQs.

Tim

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
I know this is a personal choice, but I do not like the stinger thumb hole, I much prefer the roll over cheek piece style much better. There have been a few of those posted here and they have looked great. I do believe that Mac (at least had) has one and it is very nice.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i saw some of them beauties! And WOW! but...which feel do you guys prefer? I have never used a thumbhole stock before. nor have i held one like the rollover. Do they weigh a lot more than fact.stocks? thanks its appriciated.
Hank.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
I have the roll over stock on mine and I love it!

I sanded mine down quite a bit from the original mainly around the grip area, and some off the highest part of the cheek piece, not quite a 1/4" since I have a longer face it didn't need to be as high.

I shaped the grip to be almost flush with the receiver, rounded off the sharp edge around the roll over also, and it looks slick, and like the stock belongs on the gun.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Jimbo47 said:

I sanded mine down quite a bit from the original mainly around the grip area, and some off the highest part of the cheek piece, not quite a 1/4" since I have a longer face it didn't need to be as high.

I shaped the grip to be almost flush with the receiver, rounded off the sharp edge around the roll over also, and it looks slick, and like the stock belongs on the gun.

Jimbo,

Can you post some pics??

Spanky

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
I posted my preference already, but I just wanted to clarify that the Stinger is OK, I just do not like it's styling, I prefer the Rolled over Cheek piece styling more. I do like the Boyds thumb hole stock how ever, so it not that I do not like thumb holed stocks. The Stinger just does not trip my trigger so to speak. We all do not like the same things, and that is a good thing. ;D

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Just my opinion, but I prefer the smooth lines of the Boyd's cinnamon laminated thumbhole
stock to the Stinger. It will sure be nice when the factory gets them back in stock! The
Stinger and the Rolled Over Cheek Piece model are just a little too wild looking for my tastes.
I do like the GSI factory Monte Carlo replica stock and forend in fiddleback maple. That is
some beautiful looking wood.

Robert

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
They look great! Talk about making a silk purse from a sow's ear!!! I prefer the rollover, since we have winters here and the thumbhole might be a problem with gloves.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jimbo! Can we see some pics of that gamegetter you worked on. Thats kinda what I was thinking on doing too. Its not quite how i would like it but a lil elbow grease and she'l look fine i would imagine.

laotto and sm bob, where could i get a look at the boyds stock? I agree, I dont realy like the way the stinger flows either. and i couldnt agree more with partsman, the stock is way to big for the handi's size. poor little thing looks puney afterwards.

Chukhnter! you bring up an excelent factor that i left out! We get winters here too, and the idea of wearing a thick glove with a thumbhole sounds uncomfortable.

Thanks for all the relpys they are great and i look forward to hearing more!
Hank

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got it Tim! I mistaked the boyds stock for the stinger. Wasnt payin attention enough i guess! Thanks!
Hank.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Tim I hate to ask but... do you think you could post a link for me to boyds stock website?
Thanks!
Hank

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
spanky9773 said:
Jimbo47 said:

Jimbo,

Can you post some pics??

Spanky
Sorry, can't get to it right now, (need to download photo's) but I will try to get some decent photo's.

The one's I have are pretty bad, and hard to distinguish what is a part of the stock, and what is a shadow, because of poor lighting.

Basically what I did was just thin down the area of the grip until is was the same size or thickness of the end of the receiver, and worked that thining process down the pistol grip to make the lines flow evenly if looking at it from the side.

I also took my trusty belt sander and took off just under 1/4" off the top of the rollover cheek piece, and using a wood file and some sandpaper I rounded those sharp edges off the cheek piece to give it a more molded smooth look.

I also cut the stock off about two inches, and after finishing installed a good recoil pad.

I believe they give you ample wood on these stocks so you can work them to fit your needs, and are really not meant to just sand them smooth and finish, although you can if that's what you like.

Just remember when working with wood or anything that you are trying to shape.

Whatever you take off, you can't put it back!

I know, I know, that's why they make wood filler! ;D

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks fellas! ;D Would you guys happen to know if they come in a left hand model? I appriciate all of your guys's input!
Hank.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts