Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search here and on google and didn't find the answer. If I remember right, H&R had another company make their receivers and heat treat them. Who was that company?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Ruger. Right here in Newport, NH. If you look at the inside of the receiver, you see what looks like an arrowhead. That's a pine tree, for Pine Tree Castings, the original name of the Ruger foundry in Newport that has grown to make many of the Ruger guns that now have the Newport, NH address stamp on them. There's also an R cast in there on most of them, too.

Ruger came to Newport because Bill Ruger Sr was a member of the Blue Mountain Forest Association, a 26,000 acre private game preserve founded by 19th century railroad and banking baron Austin Corbin. Bill liked the area, so he founded a factory here. He also bought the old Corbin mansion and restored it. Details on all that here:

·
Premium Member
9,696 Posts
Very interesting Brian, Thank You.

Pete

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Brian, I thought I remembered seeing years ago that it was Ruger but wasn't for sure. I wonder if they have any of those castings laying around there:)
Is that your website with the park and other info? Nice looking airplane.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I did a search here and on google and didn't find the answer. If I remember right, H&R had another company make their receivers and heat treat them. Who was that company?
Ruger was not the only one to manufacture "SB2" receivers. NEF started using investment cast receivers made by FN in Belgium. Hitchiner in NH also was a supplier.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
So in reality, H&R isn't really dead. It lives on in "brothers (receivers) from other mothers (manufactuers)". Thank you to brianNH and Sprint.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that additional information, Sprint.
I wonder how large an order Pine Tree Castings or Hitchiner Manufacturing would require to get some made. :)

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
If they are like most contract manufacturers in the US, they would not sell another companies product to someone other than the original contractor. Even though their original customer is out of production, someone still owns the rights to the product. They may not even have the information to make the castings any longer, depending on whether the parts were made using customer owned patterns or from drawings.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
But now that Ruger owns Marlin,who owned H&R/NEF, and IF H&R/NEF transferred over with Marlin, they should be able to manufacture frames.... Hopefully they will revive the brand and start making the Handirifles again!

~WH~

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Apparently PSA brought the H&R rights from Remington in the recent bankruptcy sale. Stay tuned for more news. Word is they are interested in bringing it back to life but not sure which products.

·
Registered
507 Posts
But now that Ruger owns Marlin,who owned H&R/NEF, and IF H&R/NEF transferred over with Marlin, they should be able to manufacture frames.... Hopefully they will revive the brand and start making the Handirifles again!

~WH~

I don't hold out much hope fort that, but it would certainly be awesome. They'd cost 2x as much probably, interchangeable barrels out of the box might become a reality!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
PSA- Palmetto State Armory

That is who now owns H&R 1871

1 - 12 of 12 Posts