Discussion Starter #1
Who shoots a Martini rifle?

I shoot 'em!

I like the big ones in 577/450

I like the little ones in .218 Mashburn Bee

And my wife likes them also

If the wife likes them it's easier to get more

They are fun to shoot!

Yes the ear muff is up, no I wasn't shooting ducks!

·
Super Moderator
16,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Marsh,

See all those rocks, that's a Montana rock chuck! It's about average size for a yearling.:wink:

The Wife see's that you are from the Shenandoah Valley and she says she will come over hill with her Martini and kill all your wood chucks for you, as long as you stay out of the way.

·
Registered
557 Posts

DD

I can't tell from your photo's what you did with the levers on yours when you pistol stocked them. I have one that's gonna become a .45-70, assuming .45-90 won't fit. I've been wondering how to artistically handle the lever.

Where in VA are you?

·
Super Moderator
16,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Marsh,

If they need carried, that's what I am along for. I pity the poor chuck that chases her, She chases back.

Wife read your message and she says you need to send names address and telephone numbers with map directgions and she will remove all the chucks you can point her to!

Might be fun. I have been considering making a .22WCF Martini. might be kinda different to shoot a blackpowder varmint rifle.

Shrink,

If you look at the picture of my Wife holding the rock chuck you will see that I just formed it in the shape of the pistol grip and rounded the end. She didn't like that as it irrated her hand. It's not good to have a wife with an irritated hand. So I cut the ball off a Mauser bolt handle and put that on the end. I don't have pictures of that.

The sporting rifle it was done a little different. First the lever in the sporting rifle is wider and heavier. It is arched to fit the pistol grip. On the end of the pistol grip is cylinder. The cylinder is as wide as and on the back of the lever. The cylinder has a small hole through it (wouldn't be a cylinder otherwise.) Then each side, the hole is countersunk to give a stepped appearance. The next Martini I build I am going to try and weld a piece of steel on a lever stub and make it into a commercial sporting type lever. you can just see the lever in this picture. This is my rescued to be restored 450 Musket #2

Stafford

·
Registered
98 Posts
Another Martini Shooter

Didn`t realise there were so many Martini Lovers State-side. Great to hear.

I have an early original Australian "Rosier" Sporting rifle, which is built on the Martini Action some where between 1872 and 1877. Caliber is .577-450 to describe the rifle would be easiest to say it resembles the Peabody Martini Sporting rifles [has the same knurled safety]. They are fun to shoot, mine being around 8lbs certanly lets you know when you have let go a full load ;)

By Easter I hope to have a .218 Bee improved ready for fox and rabbit shooting. It is being built on the Martini Cadet action. Should make a great little varmint rifle! I see we have similar tastes Double D! ;) The .222 rimmed has been a very popular Varmint chambering in the Martini Cadet action. .222R Brass maynot be easy to come-by in your country, though I have heard Bertram Brass has been manufacturing it. My .577-450 brass is from Bertram and NDFS [U.K].

cheers,

Cam....

ps: Nice Kudu Bull. I was in Sth Africa last April/May, without a rifle, invited back to hunt and fish - may just take up the offer ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts