Graybeard Outdoors banner

Who's getting ready for bow season?

903 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Ranger99 
#1 ·
Illinois bow season opens October 1. We've had a few cool mornings this week. It was almost enough to make it feel like fall is in the air. If the weather cooperates, I'll be heading out to check on some deer stands and put out a few trail cameras. I haven't shot my bow much this summer, but this is the time of year I like to get it out 2-3 times a week - just to make sure I'm in practice.

Who else is getting ready?

#2 ·
Me, I am. I haven't hunted in years. We lost our deer lease back in 06, and the few opportunities to go, I've given to my son. The year before last, a good friend offered his land for me to hunt. The problem is that I really just want meat, and does are onlpy legal during bow season and the weekend after Thanksgiving. So, I bought a new crossbow. It's the Barnett that Amazon sells, and I have to say, it is a lot of bow for $350. It is $1 per FPS, and it extremely accurate. Hopefully it will put meat on the table. We'll see.

BTW, I'm too lazy to practice with a compound.

#3 ·
skarke said:
. . . So, I bought a new crossbow. It's the Barnett that Amazon sells, and I have to say, it is a lot of bow for $350.
i figured a long time ago that i didn't need the latest greatest bow to kill a deer with.
all of the ones i've killed could probably have been killed with a cheap .22 pistol as
close as they were. you should be ok with what you've got. it's not like you're going
to make rifle shots with it. it's still a bow albeit a bow mounted on a stock.

i don't think i'll be able to make bow season this year unless i get the go ahead from the m.d. :'( :'(
maybe not rifle either :'( :'(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.